PDA

View Full Version : Montegrappa Espressione (Blue)

DrChumley
April 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM

The Looks

There’s really no doubt; This pen is a stunner. The beautiful blue resin of the pen is full of pearlescent shimmers and swirl, with a lot of depth. The color of the material is intense. It feels almost like someone cranked up the saturation on the pen, but it really is that vibrant and eye-catching. That same blue resin is used to put a small jewel at the top of the cap, and a disc at the bottom of the barrel. The cap is ringed with steel engraved with the Montegrappa logo. The clip, which is very stiff, has an interesting little roller at the end rather than the more traditional ball. And the base of the cap is ringed by a chunky, octagonal columnar design, engraved with Greek-style decorations. The smaller stainless steel nib is also stamped with that same motif.

The section, which is made of chromed steel, is very smooth and attracts fingerprints quite easily. The threads on the barrel are also in steel, providing a rather large step-up between the grip and the barrel.

Another nice function is the end of the barrel, which allows the cap to be screwed on to post securely. Even though the posted pen is rather long, I actually found it quite well-balanced when posted.

Like many Italian pens, this is not a pen that will blend into the background. It’s a pen that was made to be noticed, and to draw attention to itself. The dazzling, vibrant coloring combined with the shiny chromed metal makes this pen stand out. It was what drew me to the pen in the first place.

The Nib

The steel nib came with a touch more feedback than I generally prefer. It also ran drier than I generally prefer. A few passes with some micromesh and a bit of manipulation of the wings of the nib, and it became a nice writer, albeit still with a touch of feedback.

With the nib, however, the cracks started to appear in the facade of the Montegrappa Espressione. For starters, the nib is stainless steel. Now, I don’t mind steel nibs as a matter of course, but I find steel nibs on a $300 pen to be a bit ludicrous. When I can buy a gold-nibbed pen at less than half the price, I think it’s time to up the game on the nib. The nib also seemed to run a full size and a half smaller than its stated size. I purchased a Medium (and it’s stamped on the nib as such), but this nib wrote smaller than most of my European fines. In fact, I found it most comparable to a Japanese fine. I don’t mind a fine nib, but I wasn’t expecting this nib to be so much finer than the average European medium.

My biggest complaint with the nib on this pen, however, is the size. This appears to be a #5-sized nib which, frankly, is way too small for a pen of this size. It looks out of proportion. And for my hand, anyway, the shorter nib made it almost impossible for me to hold the pen on the section and still have the nib touch the paper at the correct angle. This pen really should have had a #6 gold nib on it, in my opinion.

The Writing Experience

Once the ink flow and smoothness issues were resolved, this pen was a pretty nice writer. I was able to write several consecutive pages without any ink flow issues. It was able to keep up. And the slightly toothy nib wasn’t unpleasant by any stretch of the imagination. Those times where I could grip the pen on the section, I found the metal section itself to be a touch more slippery than I prefer, and not quite as ergonomically pleasing as similar metal sections like those found on my Visconti Dali or Van Gogh.

The problem was, I could almost never hold the pen on the section. After using the pen for a couple of days, I quickly realized that this pen would need to go to a new home. The proportions to my hand were just way off. Because the nib was so short, and the section length was all wrong, I often found myself trying to grasp the pen on the barrel or, more often (and much worse), right on the threads. The stepdown between the barrel and the threads is pretty significant. The threads, while not sharp, are very deep, and grasping them for a long period of time made the pen very uncomfortable to hold. The barrel itself was a little too wide to use as a grip at 13mm. I also found that, because the ergonomics of the pen were off, and the posted weight was toward the high side, I often ended up death-gripping the pen on the threads and stepdown, which was really unpleasant. Overall, I just found the pen extremely uncomfortable in the hand, and after a long writing session, my hand was terribly cramped.

Shortly after I recorded the video for this review, the pen was re-homed.

The full review, including a video and additional photos can be found at http://penhabit.com/2014/04/27/pen-review-montegrappa-espressione/.

Bogon07
April 27th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Wow, talk about a poke-your-eye-out intense blue ! Such an attractive colour.

I find the large octagonal nut/bolt-head shaped band on the bottom of the cap very distracting from the style of the pen.
Perhaps it could have done with a little rim or flare up on the end of the section near the nib to add support for your fingers.
Maybe minor points but for pens in the higher price ranges it is the attention to detail that makes the pen a keeper or not.
A bit of a pity considering how gorgeous the blue resin looks.

Thanks for another helpful and entertaining video review.
Like Dan's, your reviews also show case the materials in some of these wonderful pens.

Woody
May 3rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the review Drchumley. I wonder if we're paying for more bling here than anything else. You mentioned once you got the flow and nib smoothness worked out things were fine. I'd hope that a pen in this price range would not have the issues you mention. Perhaps i ask for too much? Then again maybe not.

DrChumley
May 3rd, 2014, 04:53 PM
I'm sure that the bling is part of the price, no doubt. But I have lots of "boring" pens already. If I'm going to continue to acquire pens, I want them to have something different/more than what I've already got. So looks are a big factor for me.

That being said, I have found that almost every pen that crosses my desk needs to be adjusted in some way. It could be the way I hold/use my pens, or it could be that manufacturers' QC has gotten quite lax. At this point, I don't expect that any pen is going to work perfectly right out of the box...to me the question is pretty much how out of tune will the nib be. In fact, of the last 20 pens I've purchased, I can think of two or three that didn't need to be adjusted in some way. So, having a pen that costs a lot of money should, but doesn't, indicate to me that the nib should be well-tuned.

Alex2014
May 4th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Very good review. I have a Montegrappa NE blue and I agree that is very beautiful. Mine is with a SS fine nib, one of the best SS nibs I have.