PDA

View Full Version : Hero 529 drying out

inkyletters
April 27th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I picked up a couple Heros off the bay to try them out- I find they are great writers as long as I write with them at least every 12 hours. If I forget it goes bad quickly and the nib becomes dry and scratchy, often requiring a full flush to write well again. Any tuning tips to make it work better? I intend to upgrade from them soon with some other better reviewed low cost pens, but I'm not working as much due to finals so my pen addiction will have to wait for a bit.

mhosea
April 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
IMHO, the problem is usually that the cap doesn't seal properly. Because of the inner cap design that they prefer, inexpensive Chinese pens frequently provide a path for air to circulate over the top of the plastic insert (the part the pen "snaps" into) and out around the clip, and beyond that I think the seal against the inner cap sometimes leaves something to be desired, though I'm not sure about this. You might (or might not) be able to improve the situation by finding any gaps around where the clip emerges and plug them with something.

inkyletters
April 27th, 2014, 10:56 PM
That's what I thought. Probably why my preppys are still fine. Thanks for the input!

lsmith42
April 27th, 2014, 11:09 PM
You might try one of those caps off of a fake Hero and see how they work out?

(Mine says "Parker" or something like that. It's old, and from someplace I've never heard of called "Wisconsin," but it seems to work.)

Farmboy
April 27th, 2014, 11:13 PM
You might try one of those caps off of a fake Hero and see how they work out?

(Mine says "Parker" or something like that. It's old, and from someplace I've never heard of called "Wisconsin," but it seems to work.)
Another option might be flossing. The new floss isn't yet commercially available but if the pens could travel to Peters we could floss em.

Don't feel taken on those fakes. I have quite a few too.

lsmith42
April 27th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Or maybe try a Montblanc nib in it?

I mean, couldn't hurt, right?

mhosea
April 28th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Or maybe try a Montblanc nib in it?

I mean, couldn't hurt, right?

I think it might hurt, yes. Oh, you were talking about hurting the pen. I guess not. ;)

Farmboy
April 28th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Can I floss it?