PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh Pen Show trip reports

BiggieD
May 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone, I just got back from the Raleigh pen show -- Thursday is a pre-show swap day. There were only about 5 tables set up around 3pm, but it was really great to see Richard Binder and Susan Wirth casually looking at pens with time on their hands to talk!

I saw some neat wood rollerballs, Presnall Wood had two tables with some great pens - an unused Parker 21 set, some gold filled P51's, some P51's with 14K hardware, some Parker big red's in excellent condition, and some sterling silver MB's among many others. There was another gentleman (whose name I forgot) that had a mint translucent jade green Parker duofold.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures. I'll be back at the show tomorrow around 2pm. I can't make it to the pre-show, my 5 year old picked the wrong time to graduate :)
Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember to take some snapshots with my phone.

Anyone else going to the show?

Craig

eriquito
May 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
THANK YOU for the re-cap, Craig! I won't be attending the show (sniff, sniff), but you're making me feel almost as if I had been there.

Can't wait to read tomorrow's report =)

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the report!

writingrav
May 31st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Can't wait to hear more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy James
June 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
I was there today. It was my 3rd Raleigh show in 4 years (I missed last year for some dumb reason I don't even remember). I focused more on services than products this year. On the product front, I bought a No. 16 Rhodia, 2 Lamy converters, a TWSBI 540 with 1.1i nib, a two pen case, and two bottles of JB's Perfect Pen Flush. On the services front, I bought an Angel Wings nib from Pendleton Brown, a Snorkel restoration from Ron Zorn, and a grind of my Edison Pearl LEA from Richard Binder. I also met friends there and made new ones. It was really awesome, and anybody who is in the area should go tomorrow for the final day.

tytoalba
June 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yay a pen show report!
I have a question.
I want to buy J.B's Pen Flush because?

Understand I spent an entire afternoon recently, flushing pens.
Tepid water, bulb, and finally in frustration with a few, a drop of dish soap.

Jimmy James
June 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
You could probably make your own pen flush with water, ammonia, and detergent. You'd have to figure out the ratio and mix it up. JB's is a product that comes premixed and is very good at aiding in the flusing process. You flush until the water looks clear, use some of JB's to further flush, then flush more with regular water. I find it makes my pistons feel better, sometimes gets extra ink out, and sometimes get a better feel from my nib than I had been getting if I'm dealing with a pen that has been problematic.

Be careful about how and where you put the ejected solution -- you may want to use two bottles for clean and used, though you can and probably should reuse the solution.

tytoalba
June 3rd, 2012, 02:39 AM
thank you, so I gather the addition of a small amount of non sudsy ammonia really cuts through the the more saturated inks.
this was the main issue, final residue which muddied next color, or brand of fp ink.