PDA

View Full Version : Viscounti question

Silverbreeze
April 28th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Does Viscounti sell a sub $300 fountain pen? I would like to try their nibs, but if I am spending $500 I am going to get Brian Grey to make me a gold nibbed Signature line pen. I am not trying to offend anyone, it's just I am left handed and need to have a feel for the nib before I spend such an amount on a pen.

Tom

Tracy Lee
April 28th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Does Viscounti sell a sub $300 fountain pen? I would like to try their nibs, but if I am spending $500 I am going to get Brian Grey to make me a gold nibbed Signature line pen. I am not trying to offend anyone, it's just I am left handed and need to have a feel for the nib before I spend such an amount on a pen.

Tom

Part of the issue is that for a majority of their pens under that price point the nibs are steel, versus their gold or Palladium nibs. So it would give you a feel for their steel nibs only - the Van Gogh Impressionist series, the Rembrandt and a few others fall into this category. Not sure if you have a prefetence for your nibs - I personally don't care for steel nibs. If you want to try the gold or palladium, you kind of need to watch for sales (Fahrneys or FPH just sold some Opera Elements under $300 with the dreamtouch palladium nib - a great deal) or watch ebay for some older pens that are up for sale, including the Opera line, and the older (much better) Van Goghs. You could likely find a good deal to try the nicer nibs.

Alex2014
April 28th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Van Gogh, OK. But be attentive because Visconti service is lamentable (at least in Europe). I bought a Visconti from Giardino Italico (Milano) and I must to sent it back for repair. It happened over two months ago and I still not have a sign from them. :cry:

Tracy Lee
April 28th, 2014, 01:16 PM
And I have had excellent service so I imagine it depends, and repair time can be long if the pen must return to Italy, and never do that in October. The new Van Gogh isn't a good pen in my opinion so it wouldn't be my first choice. But I listed it for the price point. Rembrandt is less expensive and a better pen.

Bogon07
April 29th, 2014, 12:16 AM
The Rembrandt is a good starter for the Visconti line up - it has the same steel nibs, feed & section as the more expensive VanGogh (faceted) & Salvadore Dali in a round barrel.

If you are feeling brave and lucky you could probably pick up a more expensive gold or palladium nib pen on eBay or shop sales for under $300 - possibly an older VanGogh Maxi, Voyager or Opera club.

Llewellyn
April 29th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Just to echo the general sentiments here. I don't mind the steel Visconti nibs but the gold or palladium nibs are a real step up in performance. If you can find one at your price point, I have no doubt you'll be happy.

While I'm a fan of the aesthetics of the new Van Gogh series, I'm not so happy with the magnetic cap arrangement. I've had two of them develop rust on the metal inside the cap - one was replaced under warranty and I managed to clean up the other myself. This is likely to steer me away from any more of them and towards other members of the Visconti range. The Rembrandts are a good choice for a lower-cost entry to the wonderful world of Visconti. And as Tracy Lee and Bogon hinted above, the older Van Gogh's are lovely pens, and can be found with a bit of searching

Personally, I doubt that you will be satisfied with just one, and will be back for more

Bogon07
April 29th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I recall some knowledgeable person on FPN said Visconti had rectified the rust problem in the magnetic caps after it became apparent to them.
The problem is determining which version you are buying.

If looking at the older VanGogh Maxi then keep an eye out for the Visconti Rebecca Moss Millennium pens. These are the same size with cosmetic differences to the metal work, a more curved chrome section, dazzling material and often 14K RM nibs.

Lady Onogaro
April 29th, 2014, 09:27 PM
My husband bought me a Visconti Rembrandt (Purple version) on Saturday, and while I have only used it a few times, I must say that it is very pleasant to write with even with a steel nib. (But the nib I have is a customized XF one by Dromgoole's nib doctor.) They sold me the pen for $100 and the regrind of the nib was free.

kaisnowbird
April 30th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Well, assuming that you live outside Europe, La Courrone du Comte offer Rembrandt with Palladium nib option at just under 170 euro (duty free price), that's less than USD $240 if your international exchange fee is not high. With an order over 150 euro the shipping is free too!

The steel nib version of the same pen costs half as much (plus shipping).

Tracy Lee
April 30th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Well, assuming that you live outside Europe, La Courrone du Comte offer Rembrandt with Palladium nib option at just under 170 euro (duty free price), that's less than USD $240 if your international exchange fee is not high. With an order over 150 euro the shipping is free too!

Those are very good prices!

Silverbreeze
April 30th, 2014, 10:52 AM

I need to keep an eye on that and budget pen money, that price is close enough to my new maker (for me) limit to skip the steel nib stage

Murfie
May 1st, 2014, 07:08 PM
If it's any help, I have just bought a couple of Rembrandts with steel nibs from Marco at Novelli in Rome. Cost was €75 each plus just €10 FedEx courier shipping from Italy to Australia. Very good pricing which on my calculations is fairly close to what Lady Onagaro paid for hers.

gclyn
June 5th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I've tried a Medium steel nib on the Visconti Van Gogh Impressionist series and Rembrandt series. There is little to no flex, but it is very smooth to write with. I must say it was a pleasure using it. So if you are looking just for a buttery smooth nib, this may suffice for your need. Alternately, if you need some flex, then you will have to move up to the gold or palladium nibs.

ArchiMark
June 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Tom

Hi Tom,

Think others have answered your question, but as a fellow lefty (underwriter...), I'm curious what that has to do with your issue with pen/nib ?

Thanks,

Mark

Silverbreeze
June 11th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Tom,

Think others have answered your question, but as a fellow lefty (underwriter...), I'm curious what that has to do with your issue with pen/nib ?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

I find that some nibs are okay being held with the breather hole on top. While other nibs need to be held at very specific angles with the breather hole turned to the left. I find the nibs that let me hold them with the breather on top works best for me. And that many pen companies nibs are designed the same regardless of material. So if the steel one works, so will the Au or Pd 99% of the time.

ArchiMark
June 11th, 2014, 08:39 PM
QUOTE=Silverbreeze;83801]

Hi Tom,

Thanks,

Mark

Mark

I find that some nibs are okay being held with the breather hole on top. While other nibs need to be held at very specific angles with the breather hole turned to the left. I find the nibs that let me hold them with the breather on top works best for me. And that many pen companies nibs are designed the same regardless of material. So if the steel one works, so will the Au or Pd 99% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm........interesting observations......hadn't noticed this regarding breather hole location......

Thanks!

Silverbreeze
June 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
No problem, I know it's more likely the tines placement then anything with the breathing holes but the holes are earlier to use as a sight guide :-)

ArchiMark
June 11th, 2014, 10:08 PM
No problem, I know it's more likely the tines placement then anything with the breathing holes but the holes are earlier to use as a sight guide :-)

Yep, that makes sense..... :)