PDA

View Full Version : Suggest Inexpensive Chinese Pen

Revolution
April 28th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Hi,
I'm looking for a PF with very fine & semi-flexible nib so then I can use it for daily writing(college note) and very occasional calligraphy.
Only Chinese Baoer,Jinhao & Hero FP are available here.
Other foreign brand are very expensive here.
Sadly I can't afford them.
I have old cheap WingSung PF which looks very similar to Hero 616.
Sadly it not working smooth and its a ED.
Sometime ink skipping while writing.
The pen wad lied unused for long tome.
I tried to clean with water but still not working smooth.

mhosea
April 28th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I do not like a flexible nib for quick writing because I have to be very careful not to flex it, or it will drop too much ink on the paper. Perhaps you would enjoy two separate pens, one that is good for fast, practical writing (taking notes) and one of the inexpensive Hero calligraphy sets to play with.

My favorite inexpensive Chinese pen is the Hero 9300. Perhaps it is not very cheap, not very flexible, and not very fine, but I feel that the nib has a nice "bounce" to it. I like writing with it. It feels like a more expensive pen than it is.

ypsilanti
April 28th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I have several brands of Chinese pens and Jinhao is my favorite. All have been good writers out of the box. I don't know that they make anything with flex, though. If you'll settle for no flex, I recommend a Jinhao X750.

AndyT
April 29th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Semi-flexible is a tall order on a tight budget, so my best suggestion on that score is that you consider a dip pen. Offhand I can't think of any Chinese pens with soft nibs ... bet they start to appear before long though.

From the brands you mention, the Baoer 388 tends to run quite fine and it's cheap enough to take a risk on having a go at grinding it yourself, should you wish to. The nib is friction fit so you have the option of removing it to work on ... they tend to be very tight though, soaking the section in hot water is likely to be required.

If there's a way to disassemble the Jinhao 15 nib unit I'm not aware of it, but the pen is not at all bad and comes with an extra fine semi-hooded nib as standard. Like ypsilanti, my feeling is that Jinhao have the edge amongst the Chinese manufacturers.

It's unlikely that your Wing Sung has given up the ghost, and it'll probably respond if you soak the section for long enough in a cupful of water with a little detergent or ammonia added.

Revolution
April 29th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Thanks for ur reply guys!

Sorry,but I don't know too much about FP.
Only in school days FP was mantory in classes.
Then I had used only cheap WinfSung pens.

I thinks two separate pens for two separate reasons is justify.
Better I will buy the pen for Drawing/Calligraphy later when I can save extra money.
Till then my first priority to buy an inexpensive pen for regular writing and taking fast note.
Now,why I want only to buy Chinese only ?
Reason is that I can't buy online from ebay cos I don't have Paypal AC/CC. :(
I tried to find different brand in my area.
Only found Jinhao/Baoer Hero is rare.
For example Jinhao T1 INR350($5),Jinhao 159 INR600($10),Jinhao X450 INR420($7),Baoer 507 INR360($6),Baoer 388 INR480($8).
Like $3 Pilot Petit cost here INR420($7)
Also local few Camlin available like Camlin SD INR1000($17),Camlin Elegant INR200($2.5),Camlin Trinity INR100(<$2),Camlin 36(<$1).

Now which should I chose ?
Is there any good pen for Drawing/Calligraphy from Jinhao/Baoer ?

scrivelry
April 29th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I do not know if Jinhao/Baoer make a calligraphy pen or a drawing pen, but I do have these thoughts:

FUDE nibs are often listed in Chinese pens as "calligraphy" nibs - my assumption is that these are for Chinese calligraphy, and the drawing of characters is very different from the writing of letters, so it is not interchangeable with a Western Calligraphy nib. It may be very interesting in it's own way, but I have never tried one so I can't say what that is.

Western Calligraphy nibs are usually italic - I have not seen an italic nib on a Jinhao. Hero has a calligraphy/italic set which is inexpensive here and which I have read good things about, however, I do not know if that is available where you are.

Drawing nibs are a different matter - one can draw with anything, so what constitutes a drawing nib depends on what sort of line you want to make and what style you are using - one could easily use several different nibs in one drawing. If by drawing nib you mean you want a very fine line, then Jinhao does have very fine nibs - needlepoints. If by drawing you mean flexible so that you get line variation, you are better off with a dip pen that has a flexible nib. If by drawing you mean a very wet nib, you can make most nibs wetter by spreading the tines - there are many other variations. None of the Jinhao/Baoer pens are marketed as such, but that does not mean they cannot be used.

If you decide what kind of line you want to draw with, we can be of more help.

T

Revolution
April 29th, 2014, 07:34 AM
No,I don't want dip pen.

john
April 29th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Dip pen is the cheapest way to have the flexible nibs. Don't try to count on the Chinese pens will come with soft nibs or flexible nibs.

LagNut
April 29th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I'm going to suggest something that may not be feasible, but if it is, might turn your current pen back to rights.

Can you clean and tune your misbehaving pen? Use a small amount of ammonia in a lot of water to clean the pen rather than just water. Then lots of water. After that, a small amount of white vinegar with lots of water. Then lots of water to clean that out. Then water with a very small amount of dish soap, then again, lots of water to clean that out.

In all these cleanings, I'd be getting the cleaning and final solutions everywhere.

If you look on this, or other pen websites(like Richard Binder's), you'll probably find even better advice on how to clean the pen. This will be a useful thing to do even when you buy a new pen to clean out oils and solvents used to make the pen.

If you already know this, sorry for my post, but how to clean (and then tune the nibs, a different subject but also useful) was a revelation to me, and pens I thought I had cleaned well, using just water, like you, were not actually clean. The rinsing with only water after each stage is really important too.

Good luck
Mike

LagNut
April 29th, 2014, 08:34 AM
AndyT had made a mention of the subject of my post in his, but I missed it on first reading. (Sorry for missing that)...

Revolution
April 29th, 2014, 08:49 AM
It's unlikely that your Wing Sung has given up the ghost, and it'll probably respond if you soak the section for long enough in a cupful of water with a little detergent or ammonia added.

I have taken out the feed but nib did not come out after a lot force so give up.
Just cleaned the feed and the nib with normal water and the after reassembling and refilling the ink I wrote a single page.
But,after like 6 hours when I tried to write it wont work until I dip the nib in ink.
I gonna empty the pen and will try to clean with detergent.

Sailor Kenshin
April 29th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Jinhao makes some very nice pens, but Hero is my all-around favorite brand. I'm less familiar with Baoer, having only one or two. I have a boack Baoer with a fine nib that writes very well. The model had no number but I think was sold as a 'Sonnet?'

Is there any chance you can try out some pens before buying?

AndyT
April 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Just cleaned the feed and the nib with normal water and the after reassembling and refilling the ink I wrote a single page.
But,after like 6 hours when I tried to write it wont work until I dip the nib in ink.

Sounds more like a cap seal problem, not exactly unknown with Parker 51 knockoffs. All the same a good soak and flush won't do any harm, and might improve matters. Of the pens you mention, the Camlin Elegant may be a good bet because at a later date you could get a flex nib from Fountain Pen Revolution (http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/home.html).

I have a boack Baoer with a fine nib that writes very well. The model had no number but I think was sold as a 'Sonnet?'

That sounds like the 388, a straight Parker Sonnet copy. One of the great fountain pen bargains, in my opinion.

Sailor Kenshin
April 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Sounds more like a cap seal problem, not exactly unknown with Parker 51 knockoffs. All the same a good soak and flush won't do any harm, and might improve matters. Of the pens you mention, the Camlin Elegant may be a good bet because at a later date you could get a flex nib from Fountain Pen Revolution (http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/home.html).

I have a boack Baoer with a fine nib that writes very well. The model had no number but I think was sold as a 'Sonnet?'

That sounds like the 388, a straight Parker Sonnet copy. One of the great fountain pen bargains, in my opinion.

Yes.

And that would be BLACK. Dohh.

Revolution
April 29th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks for replies!

Of the pens you mention, the Camlin Elegant may be a good bet because at a later date you could get a flex nib from Fountain Pen Revolution (http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/home.html).

First I want to buy a pen for writing.
I will try flexible nib later then.
Now,I Baoer 388 available near $8 and Elegant near $3.5(its made in our own country so price not high).
And have mentioned other available model at previous post.
So,which would be best for me ?

AndyT
April 30th, 2014, 01:42 AM

Your call. :)

The Camlin is an unknown quantity to me, whereas I've bought, used, modified and given away quite a few Baoer 388s without finding a bad one.

Revolution
April 30th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Thanks for ur advice!
Today I clean my old WinSung with detergent water.
Its running smooth but problem id ink flowing increases and line become wide.
On cheap paper ink spreading.
Anyway,how to make nib smoother ?
Nib feeling little bit of scratchy when writing.

Your call. :)

The Camlin is an unknown quantity to me, whereas I've bought, used, modified and given away quite a few Baoer 388s without finding a bad one.

Baoer 388 comes with medium nib so it will give wide line ?
Can be use on normal paper without any ink spreading ?

Sailor Kenshin
April 30th, 2014, 05:43 AM
The ink-spreading problem has more to do with the ink and paper itself, and less with the nib. Usually.

When I need to smooth a nib I use manicure buff sticks, with four degrees of 'grit,' and stick to the finer grits.

Revolution
April 30th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I'm using Camlin Permanent Black Ink(dye based).

Sailor Kenshin
April 30th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Anyone have experience with that ink?

I have some (really cheap) papers that cause every ink to spread, feather, and bleed. I suspect the paper.

scrivelry
April 30th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I also suspect the paper. Some people have had good experiences ironing their paper with a a regular household iron, no steam, and there is discussion of why this may help - one idea is that it may drive out moisture in the paper which helps the ink to spread. If you have easy access to a household iron, you might try that on your paper.

Many people here have excellent results with Brazilian paper, but Indian paper can also be fine - it is a matter, sometimes, of finding the brand or even package of paper within the brand that works best.

And for what it is worth, I have two Baoer 388's. I am happy with both of them. One writes a tiny bit wider than the other. However, I think if it was too wide you could probably get a new Indian nib at a reasonable price and replace the one in there - I have not needed to try this.

I have never used a Camlin, so can't speak to that brand.

T

AndyT
April 30th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Did you flush the detergent solution out thoroughly? It alters surface tension and tends to lead to increased flow if you don't. Nonetheless, Kai's probably right about that paper, and spot on about those nail buffing sticks.

There isn't much iridium on the end of a Baoer nib: the one in my hand measures 0.65mm across and writes a lot finer than that. They do seem to be very consistent, definitely a fine in European terms. Armed with those buffing sticks you could certainly make the line thinner. Looking at the tip head on, aim to change the profile from a U to something more like a V with a rounded bottom. With care you can keep a fairly generous sweet spot if you blend the curves together ... I'd suggest trying this with the Wing Sung first.

Actually, I'm a little ahead of myself: you asked about smoothing rather than shaping. If a nib is scratchy the first thing to check is the tine alignment. Unless your eyesight is extraordinarily good you'll need magnification to check this. If they're out of line with each other, simply bend them back into line - cautiously. That isn't all there is to it, but it'll do for the time being. Once the tines are aligned, if you want to smooth the surface, the finest nail buffer will do the job, and again proceed with caution. There are quite a few videos around showing the process, Stephen Brown's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5NImdKrE1k) and Brian Goulet's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35cV_pe0-Q) being good places to start.

If you want to do some reading about the technical side of fountain pens, the reference pages at Richard Binder's site (http://www.richardspens.com/) are a goldmine of information.

Revolution
April 30th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the video links!

Did you flush the detergent solution out thoroughly?
Yea,I did that.
I tried to look at the nib closely.
Saw the two end point of the nib are separated from each other.
They are very close to each other.
I thinks this the problem for excess ink.

AndyT
May 1st, 2014, 03:04 AM
I tried to look at the nib closely.
Saw the two end point of the nib are separated from each other.
They are very close to each other.
I thinks this the problem for excess ink.

Maybe ... ideally you're looking for a gap tapering to something like 0.002" for a rigid nib. Closing the slit is a lot harder than opening it up. Normally I'd suggest changing to an ink with a "drier" flow: something like Pelikan 4001 or an iron gall, but presumably this could be a problem for you. There's a quick and dirty trick which you may come across involving bending the tines downwards which I really don't recommend. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vv0eSGR5Jw) may help.

Revolution
May 3rd, 2014, 06:15 AM
Bought this FP @Rs.300($5)
But,don't know if it's original of fake Chinese.
Sorry I have no digital camera but only poor mobile camera.
Now,I don't know if this problem or not.
The pen 388 body is rotating when cap is on,I mean very easily/freely rotating.
I know all rotate but need certain amount of force.
But,I can feel my Baoer 388 cap is well locked and no way to apart from body without force.
Strange!

BTW,when this time I asked seller about Jinhao X450,750 & 159 he said that all out of stock cos these are very much in demand.
And also said price will be high X450/750 will cost approximately Rs.600($10) and 159 Rs.900($15) or may be more if future.
Also warned me these pens will be models will be obsolete soon and suggest me to buy before stock last. :confused:

Sailor Kenshin
May 3rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
Sounds like ' sales tactics' to me....trying to use pressure to get you to buy.

I can send you an x450 and a couple of inexpensive Chinese pens in one package, but the x450 does NOT have a fine nib. It has a medium that writes like a broad. Just let me know and I'll pack them up if you want to send me your mailing address in a private message.

That's a nice-looking pen. Hope it writes well for you!

AndyT
May 3rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
The pen 388 body is rotating when cap is on,I mean very easily/freely rotating.
I know all rotate but need certain amount of force.
But,I can feel my Baoer 388 cap is well locked and no way to apart from body without force.
Strange!

The inner cap is probably the worst thing about the Baoer 388, being prone to cracking so best to be gentle if you post the cap. On the other hand, when new they can have a ferocious grip - far too tenacious really and there's a knack to getting the cap off without it going flying. So I guess they're a bit inconsistent.

Revolution
May 3rd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys for ur replied!

Hard/tight cap and the click sound no problem for me.
I'm careful.
But,is it natural that pen body rotate with almost no forse or very tiny amount of force when cap is on ?
Btw,Baoer 388 write fine without any problem and its smooth.
Though I' using worlds cheapest ink,Camlin.
Four 60ml bottles cost here Rs.60($1). :D
Sadly other local good brand like Chelpark,Sulekaha no more manufactured anymore.

AndyT
May 4th, 2014, 03:11 AM
But,is it natural that pen body rotate with almost no forse or very tiny amount of force when cap is on ?

No, not really ... quite annoying I should imagine. But if the pen isn't drying out and the cap isn't coming off too easily, probably best to leave well alone. Glad to hear that it's writing well. :)

Revolution
May 4th, 2014, 05:11 AM
No,cap not going to coming off and pen not gonna drying I guess.

Revolution
May 4th, 2014, 06:19 PM
PM u my mailing address.

I can send you an x450 and a couple of inexpensive Chinese pens in one package, but the x450 does NOT have a fine nib. It has a medium that writes like a broad. Just let me know and I'll pack them up if you want to send me your mailing address in a private message.

mhosea
May 4th, 2014, 07:22 PM

It is common with the Baoer 388. I bought a set of 5 once, and I think 3 out of 5 were like that.

The way the snap cap works is that there is a gold ring on the end of the grip section of the pen, and inside the cap there is a plastic part. As you push the cap on, the plastic part narrows down until there is a sudden "step" where it opens back up. This is the "snap" as the gold ring passes over the narrowest part and is free to move again. If everything is arranged just right, you cannot press the cap on any further when the snap happens because the end of the cap is resting against the barrel. The Baoer 388's are often not "just right". When the snap happens it is still possible to push the cap just a fraction of a millimeter farther. This extra "play" is what makes it rotate freely and feel a bit loose. The cap should still not come off easily, but the seal may not be perfect. Use your pen every day, and it should write well. If you let this pen sit for a few days, then you may need to dip the nib in water to get it to perform as it should.

Revolution
May 4th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks for ur nice explanation!

Revolution
May 5th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Hey,
Where do u from ?
I'm just curious.
Please don't mind!

Sailor Kenshin
May 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
From the Northeast USA! Where spring has finally arrived, after a lonnngggg cold winter.

Revolution
May 5th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Enjoy nice weather!
Hot humid rainy reason just started here after hot summer. :D

Revolution
May 8th, 2014, 05:42 AM
@Sailor Kenshin

Ur INBOX is full I can't PM u.

Sailor Kenshin
May 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM
I just cleared it. Thanks for letting me know!

Revolution
May 8th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Little drawing can be done with the FP too. :D
I have used Camlin black ink

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/HolyRipper/Private/Image0247_zps51a1d42e.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/HolyRipper/media/Private/Image0247_zps51a1d42e.jpg.html)

Sailor Kenshin
May 9th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Cute!

Revolution
May 16th, 2014, 05:57 PM

Thanks man!
I have received ur gift!
Here are some picture in the thread. (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7055-Gift-from-a-Friend)

InkyThoughts12
May 17th, 2014, 06:54 AM
You can buy a hero 331, it look just like the parker 51

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/bynu9a2a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/a2uzatyp.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/ypydy5eg.jpg

See!?! :D

Revolution
May 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I will try to find Hero 331 next time.
Heard that lots of fake Hero FPs available here locally.

Sailor Kenshin
May 17th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks man!
I have received ur gift!
Here are some picture in the thread. (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7055-Gift-from-a-Friend)

Most welcome. I was happy to learn it had arrived safely!

Revolution
May 17th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I was just lucky enough this time.
Thanks for ur kindness and ur beautiful gift! :thank_you2:

pajaro
May 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Kaigelu 356

Revolution
May 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Nice pen but sadly not available here.