PDA

View Full Version : Startled by a Signum

Ernst Bitterman
May 1st, 2014, 02:59 PM
I just got a Signum in, a sadly tumbled P530, and I was expecting from the configuration and material of the point something in the line of a Pelikano in terms of performance.

Wrong-o.

I may have an uncommonly smooth and springy example, but I think I've just found the best steel point I've ever met. It's hard to believe the company was busy distracting itself with ill-considered diversification and sliding into insolvency when they were making this sort of pen.

...and yes, I should take some pictures. When time permits. But until then-- has anyone else got a Signum to comment upon? Is this one an anomaly or a standard example of the breed?

Edited to add the promised pic.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Pelikan-0484.jpg

It's not much to look at, it is?

Jeph
May 2nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Well I must say that I am surprised that nobody has any comments. I have a P580 Celebry that I thought was close but they are completely different animals. That is good as I was not really impressed with the Celebry.

Oblique and Inky
May 2nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
I've found a couple of them from different periods. Good, honest, pens for writing with.

And elegantly pretty. It's a pen after all, it has a job to do.

Giovanni Abrate
June 7th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Signum...insolvency?? Never happened, the company has been growing year after year. Their US distributor failed, but it was due mainly to the death of one of the principals. Now Signum is back in the USA. My company is the official distributor for North America and if you have not seen their current lineup, you are in for a pleasant surprise. As for the quality of their nibs: they are the only manufacturer I know that polish their nibs not once, but twice. My smoothest nibs are on a Signum pen. If you'd like to peruse their full catalog, it is available at www.heritageandstyle.com . The site is still under construction, but their catalogs are on line and accessible.

jar
June 7th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Signum...insolvency?? Never happened, the company has been growing year after year. Their US distributor failed, but it was due mainly to the death of one of the principals. Now Signum is back in the USA. My company is the official distributor for North America and if you have not seen their current lineup, you are in for a pleasant surprise. As for the quality of their nibs: they are the only manufacturer I know that polish their nibs not once, but twice. My smoothest nibs are on a Signum pen. If you'd like to peruse their full catalog, it is available at www.heritageandstyle.com (http://www.heritageandstyle.com) . The site is still under construction, but their catalogs are on line and accessible.

I have a couple Orione Duettos and have been pleased with both. Keep us posted on your progress.

penstaking
June 30th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Why is this post in the Pelikan forum? Signum is an Italian brand.

Jeph
July 1st, 2015, 01:15 AM
Why is this post in the Pelikan forum? Signum is an Italian brand.

But Signum is also a Pelikan model from the 80's.
Pelikan Signum (http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-signum.html)

penstaking
July 4th, 2015, 06:11 PM
unclear.