PDA

View Full Version : Sketches I make when I travel or walk around

rgperedo
May 1st, 2014, 10:43 PM
This is a sketch I did of a beautiful building in Montpelier, Vermont. It was done with a TWSBI 580 with an EF nib. I hope you guys enjoy. I'll try to post some art (made with fountain pens of course) here once in a while. That photo is on my Instagram account, so it has a filter that darkened the pen. I think it's still pretty recognizable though. Cheers.
http://s17.postimg.org/b3hfftrz3/Montpelier_Vermont.jpg

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2014, 10:53 PM
Thank you - more, please! :)

ethernautrix
May 2nd, 2014, 04:04 AM
I love it!

And, Jon, thank you for bringing this to my attention!

<3

writingrav
May 2nd, 2014, 04:49 AM
Well done! Thanks for sharing.

rgperedo
May 4th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the nice comments. Here's a quick sketch of the facade of Flushing Town Hall in Queens, New York. It's a very nice Romanesque revival building. Done with my handy dandy TWSBI 580 EF. Cheers.
http://s23.postimg.org/66czsl5y3/Flushing_Town_Hall.jpg

rberg6868
May 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I also really like to do architectural sketches but I lack the confidence to work in ink. I know that I need to just jump in and try it, but we all have our crutches and I guess the eraser is mine.

bitterwonder
May 7th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Use a lighter ink ( or watertered down ink) to lay in the composition and then work it up with full blown ink. Look at the silverpoint drawings of early and high Renaissance; if those aretists can make mistakes ( you cannot erease metalpoint) so can we. Drawing is a process, mistakes happen. Good luck!

Lady Onogaro
May 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Love these. I agree with everyone else; keep them coming.

rgperedo
May 8th, 2014, 10:04 PM
I think the moment you admit to yourself that you're drawing for yourself and not for others is when you start to loosen up and then you don't mind making mistakes. In my sketchbooks I've learned to just let loose and let myself make mistakes and make a line over and over again. I really love seeing the construction of my drawings. I will admit, I don't show all my work to people. Maybe 5% of a completed sketchbook will be shown (On my Blog) so I do have lots of pages with false starts and with "mistakes" but it's like keeping a journal, you're just documenting.

discopig
May 9th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Nice sketches! I love them.

Malcolm
May 10th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Superb drawings...love them.

rgperedo
May 17th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Here is a drawing from the other day. I attended a lecture at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, here in NY. I sat and waited for my colleagues on the staircase, and while I waited I drew the beautiful Beaux-arts style building across the street. This sketch was done with my TWSBI Micarta V2 with an EF nib and Noodler's 54 Massachusetts.
http://s29.postimg.org/f82i4012f/IMG_6790.jpg

rgperedo
June 28th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Here's a sketch from yesterday, a nice building for rent in Rockville Centre, NY. Drawn with my TWSBI mini (f nib) filled with Noodler's Black.
http://s28.postimg.org/tr6w8wom5/IMG_3686.jpg

lisantica
June 28th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Beautiful, thank you for sharing.
Would love to see more as well when you can.

Sailor Kenshin
June 28th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Wow.

rgperedo
June 29th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I know I have only posted architecture, but I sketch portraits as well from time to time. Here is a portrait of one of my favorite writers, Jorge Luis Borges. With my TWSBI mini with an F nib filled with Noodler's Black. Cheers.

http://s7.postimg.org/w3h3q8dnf/Screen_Shot_2014_06_29_at_11_21_19_PM.png

rgperedo
September 12th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I would like to post here more often, but I have been a little busy with school. This is actually a drawing I did on campus. This is the school where I'm doing my Graduate degree, CUNY Queens College. I carry three fountain pens with me in my sketching setup: TWSBI Mini with an F nib filled with Noodler's Lex Gray, a Lamy Vista with en EF nib filled with Noodler's Black and a TWSBI Classic with a 1.1 stub filled with Noodler's Black. I keep my pens in a Nock Co Hightower case.

http://s15.postimg.org/5vjh8p2gr/Screen_Shot_2014_09_12_at_6_49_22_PM.png

Laura N
September 12th, 2014, 05:10 PM
These are great. I hope you are studying something to do with art!

rgperedo
September 12th, 2014, 05:20 PM
These are great. I hope you are studying something to do with art!
Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoy them. I got two degrees for my undergrad, Art History and a BFA with a concentration in painting. I'm now doing my graduate degree in Art History. I still draw and paint on my own, but it's strange not to be taking any fine art courses. I love art history so I can't be upset. I do carry my sketchbook everywhere all the time still. It's a habit I hope I never lose.

Sinister Scribbler
September 13th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Impressive work. What brand of sketchbook do you prefer for sketching with ink?

rgperedo
September 13th, 2014, 11:01 PM
I don't use a specific brand. I like to try different sketchbooks all the time. I do really like Fabriano sketchbooks. I also like Stillman & Birn books. I think you can email them (S&B) and they'll send you a sample pack of their paper for free. I love Fabriano Venezia sketchbooks and I treat myself to them once in a while, but they can be quite expensive. I find that sketchbooks that have paper with a lot of tooth aren't the most comfortable to draw on with fountain pens ( i guess this would be common sense). Lastly if you can find Hahnemuüle sketchbooks they're very good and usually economical even in larger sizes. I hope that helped a little.

Impressive work. What brand of sketchbook do you prefer for sketching with ink?

Quantum Sailor
September 14th, 2014, 04:58 PM
All of these are impressive, nice work.

rgperedo
September 23rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
Here's a quick sketch I managed the other day. This is a nice church I saw on Rockaway Parkway in Brooklyn. It was a faster sketch, but I'm decently happy with it.

http://s8.postimg.org/5w1j7c3r9/photo.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
September 23rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Fluid, yet shows solidity.

MEED
September 24th, 2014, 12:50 AM
I have no experience to draw Sketches during traveling. I only love to capture photos of beautiful places around the world. But rgperedo, after seeing your Sketches I have great wish to learn this art.

rgperedo
September 25th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I have no experience to draw Sketches during traveling. I only love to capture photos of beautiful places around the world. But rgperedo, after seeing your Sketches I have great wish to learn this art.

I find that between my photos and my sketchbooks, I always feel a greater sense of reminiscence from looking at my sketchbooks. I can many times remember way more from my sketches that my photos, especially now with digital photography and great point and shoot cameras the moment is captured quickly. A sketch, even a quick sketch requires more involvement with your surroundings. I think this allows us to be more immersed in the moment, making our drawings a better "jump starter" for out memories. Just carry a small sketchbook and a pen an draw, it doesn't have to be "good" as long as its yours.

rgperedo
October 14th, 2014, 05:56 AM
This is the interior courtyard of the Frick Collection in NYC. This is definitely one of my favorite museums in NY. Done with my 3 trusty designated sketching pens : Lamy Vista EF with Noodler's Black (not pictured), TWSBI Classic 1.1 with Noodler's Black and TWSBI Mini F with Noodler's Lexington Gray.

http://s28.postimg.org/hp5jkxn99/IMG_1974_1.jpg

rgperedo
October 21st, 2014, 06:30 PM
A firehouse I liked on 76 AV, Forest Hills. A lot of nice of nice buildings on that part of Queens blvd.

http://s13.postimg.org/4fobiar6f/IMG_2110.jpg

VertOlive
October 21st, 2014, 06:54 PM
Being completely unburdened by any hint of artistic talent as I am, it just makes my jaw drop when I see actual artists in action, especially with such a clear eye and realistic hand!

rgperedo
November 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Being completely unburdened by any hint of artistic talent as I am, it just makes my jaw drop when I see actual artists in action, especially with such a clear eye and realistic hand! Thank you so much for the kind words.

This isn't a drawing from any place in particular or of architecture. I have a few articles to read for a big research paper and I took break to draw a little. I found a photo I thought was interesting on my friend's Instagram account. He's a musician and a barista (the original photo is of espresso dripping out of a machine) I started off slowly and then I just got lost in trying to find objects in the reflection of the chrome container. It was a very entertaining drawing, I should have probably stopped earlier, but I was very happy to be drawing and not reading another article. Of course all drawn with fountain pens! if you're curious, my instagram account is: rgperedo !!
http://s18.postimg.org/ifx61t5zd/Full_Size_Render_5.jpg

TeddyAllen
November 23rd, 2014, 04:32 AM
Amazing sketches!

rgperedo
November 30th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Walking around my neighborhood and sat for a quick sketch before I went back home. http://s11.postimg.org/u338lpueb/IMG_2892.jpg

rgperedo
December 12th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I went to the Metropolitan Museum here in New York to see the Winchester Bible. The bible is incredible, and in amazing condition considering it's from the 12th century. If you live in or around NY you should go see it. It will probably never come back here in our lifetime.

After staring at the bible for a while I walked around sketching. This was one of my favorite drawings of the day. This is a German 16th Century suit of armor, made for the rider and the horse. Challenging, but fun.

http://s16.postimg.org/c2v6tvt6t/IMG_3185.jpg

Crazyorange
December 13th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Amazing work. Thanks for sharing about the bible. I head into nyc for some Xmas fun. The museum will be a great treat.

Sailor Kenshin
December 13th, 2014, 06:47 AM
This is like seeing the armor for myself. Wonderful.

(Really fascinating detail, especially how the joints work.)

PS: How do you like the Mini, and how does the F compare to, say, a Safari/Al-star F?

rgperedo
December 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM
This is like seeing the armor for myself. Wonderful.

(Really fascinating detail, especially how the joints work.)

PS: How do you like the Mini, and how does the F compare to, say, a Safari/Al-star F?

Thank you, it was really challenging to draw the armor, but it was very fun. I don't venture into the Medieval section at the Met as much as I should. I enjoyed it very much so now I'll make it a habit.

I love my Mini. I am debating about getting another one. The F on the Mini is definitely a dot thinner than on my Lamy Safaris/Vista. I use an EF nib on my Vista (when I draw) Also the thickness depends on the ink. I keep my Mini inked with Noodler's Lex Grey and my Vista is always inked with Noodler's Black. I like both very much, but prefer the Mini, the Vista is fun because I don't mind beating it up and putting the nib through some hardships ( I turn the nib every which way when I draw to mark spots off or make scratchy lines on purpose to construct my drawings). The Mini I use mostly for shading and some drawing, it doesn't get abused like the Lamy EF nib ( which takes the abuse rather well). I hope this was helpful. Oh and I also always carry a Twsbi Classic with a 1.1 stub filled with Noodler's Black.

Sadiq
December 14th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Beautiful work rgperedo!

I like the detail in your sketches, especially the buildings...can't wait to see more :)

VertOlive
December 14th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Having done some research into first century Roman military gear ( er, for a costume), armor has become fascinating to me-- love the horse's rig!

rgperedo
December 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM
A very nice Post Office in Flushing, NY.

http://s24.postimg.org/pxtj5ymj9/Full_Size_Render_10.jpg

writingrav
December 23rd, 2014, 03:22 AM
A very nice Post Office in Flushing, NY.

http://s24.postimg.org/pxtj5ymj9/Full_Size_Render_10.jpg
I grew up going to that post office. Very grand in keeping with its sacred task

Sailor Kenshin
December 23rd, 2014, 08:38 AM
Love your handlettering, too, rgperedo!

milkb0at
December 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I just wanted to say that I love your sketches. Please keep them coming.

rgperedo
January 8th, 2015, 10:53 PM
It's been incredibly cold here in NY so sketching only happens indoors or from a car. This is a drawing of the apse of Saint John the Divine, this church is all the way uptown. It is an amazing Romanesque/Gothic revival church. This is the back of it, which I thought was interesting, and there was a lot of parking haha. Cheers.

http://s30.postimg.org/d7dazn29d/IMG_4275.jpg

Sevenof9
January 11th, 2015, 12:58 AM
Awesome post. I love these. keep them coming. 7

rgperedo
January 21st, 2015, 04:15 PM
Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

I decided to go to the Met museum and finish off the last 6-7 pages of my sketchbook. This was the final page. This was done by an American sculptor named Janet Scudder. It's part of a bronze fountain she designed in 1906 called "Frog Fountain" which is in the American Wing if anyone is interested in seeing it.

As usual a Lamy Vista EF with Noodler's Black, a TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub with Noodler's Black, both in a Pilot penholder (holds only two pens).

http://s7.postimg.org/ium6ksc8b/IMG_4827.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
January 21st, 2015, 04:53 PM
Excellent. Did I ever ask if you make a preliminary pencil sketch and then ink it?

rgperedo
January 22nd, 2015, 07:03 PM
Excellent. Did I ever ask if you make a preliminary pencil sketch and then ink it?

I don't know if you've asked, but I'll answer anyway. I don't do a preliminary drawing with a pencil. I go right in with the EF nib and make small marks then I make guiding lines and eventually when I'm decently happy I start making thicker lines and shading. In the later stages I use the stub to darken in the darkest values and punch in bolder lines where necessary. These are all in a sketchbook so I'm not so worried about making them look "perfect" when I do commissioned drawings I start with a pencil sketch first, but otherwise I enjoy the construction of the drawing all in ink.

Sailor Kenshin
January 23rd, 2015, 08:52 AM
I can see the guidelines if I look hard. Okay, you've inspired me! Thanks.

cedargirl
January 23rd, 2015, 05:33 PM
You are very talented. I wish I could do that.

rgperedo
March 16th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Grad school is killing me, but I did manage a few drawings/paintings. If you didn't know I study art history and my concentration is late Romanesque/Early Renaissance architecture. So I was doing some research and decided to draw some of the buildings I'll be writing my thesis on. Here is the first: Santa Maria della Carceri in Prato (Tuscany) It was done with my Lamy Vista EF, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub and watercolor washes added on afterwards.

http://s21.postimg.org/dqos48ruf/Full_Size_Render.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
March 17th, 2015, 04:32 AM
Ooooooo........and such beautiful handwriting, too!

Marsilius
March 18th, 2015, 05:41 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words, but so is, "Grad school is killing me, but I did manage a few drawings/paintings." Keep it up!

Crazyorange
March 18th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Do you use permanent ink? How think is the paper? I've trying to use ink and watercolors together with mixed results. Any words of experience to share?

rgperedo
March 23rd, 2015, 11:05 PM
Do you use permanent ink? How think is the paper? I've trying to use ink and watercolors together with mixed results. Any words of experience to share?

I only use permanent ink when I draw or write. I use Noodler's Black and it serves this purpose well. I haven't had trouble with it, except of course you have to wait for it to dry before you put watercolor over it. For that little watercolor sketch I used Moleskine sketchbook paper. I actually don't really like that paper, but someone gave me a large sketchbook and I felt like I should use it.

I actually prefer Fabriano sketchbooks. Fabriano makes a book called Venezia, it is awesome. I started buying it when I was away in Italy and I bought a few to bring home with me. I still haven't found a place that sells them for a fair price. Canson makes excellent paper as well, I would definitely try their watercolor sketchbooks, they are economical and the paper is nice to work with.

For heavier watercolor use I would suggest Arches 140 lb paper. I buy the blocks and they are definitely the best. Daler and Rowney make a more economical paper that comes in a block and is pure cotton (like Arches) that is nice as well. I hope that was helpful, please feel free to ask more questions about supplies.

Crazyorange
March 24th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Thank you so much. Your answer is very helpful.

elaineb
March 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I actually had terrible problems with Noodler's ink on watercolor paper. (Arches, Fabriano, Strathmore, Waterford) No matter how long I let it dry, it still bled instantly into any paint I tried to wash over it.* I moved to Platinum Carbon Black, which has never let me down. I also recently tried the DeAtramentic Document Black ink and had very good results with it as well. It's a little cheaper than the Platinum.

I second Rgperedo's love of the Fabriano Venezia books. There's another brand I highly recommend as well: Stillman & Birn. They have several different types of notebooks (different type of paper in each) and all of them can be used with ink and light watercolor washes. The heavier papers (Delta, Gamma, Zeta, I think) handle similarly to traditional watercolor papers and can take more paint without warping. I have filled many of these sketchbooks over the years.

Another option is to look at what are called "mixed media" papers, which are designed to work across a large variety of dry and wet media. Strathmore's 400 series Mixed Media sketchbooks are just fabulous for pen and watercolor wash drawings. I also like Canson's Mixed Media books.

* I have a suspicion it may be due to how wet/dry one's pen writes. Too much ink on a coated paper like watercolor stock may exceed what the paper could completely bond with.

Crazyorange
March 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM
I've had a hard time with paper. It's too thin for multi media art. Thanks for the tips.

rgperedo
March 26th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I actually had terrible problems with Noodler's ink on watercolor paper. (Arches, Fabriano, Strathmore, Waterford) No matter how long I let it dry, it still bled instantly into any paint I tried to wash over it.* I moved to Platinum Carbon Black, which has never let me down. I also recently tried the DeAtramentic Document Black ink and had very good results with it as well. It's a little cheaper than the Platinum.

I second Rgperedo's love of the Fabriano Venezia books. There's another brand I highly recommend as well: Stillman & Birn. They have several different types of notebooks (different type of paper in each) and all of them can be used with ink and light watercolor washes. The heavier papers (Delta, Gamma, Zeta, I think) handle similarly to traditional watercolor papers and can take more paint without warping. I have filled many of these sketchbooks over the years.

Another option is to look at what are called "mixed media" papers, which are designed to work across a large variety of dry and wet media. Strathmore's 400 series Mixed Media sketchbooks are just fabulous for pen and watercolor wash drawings. I also like Canson's Mixed Media books.

* I have a suspicion it may be due to how wet/dry one's pen writes. Too much ink on a coated paper like watercolor stock may exceed what the paper could completely bond with.

Noodle's doesn't give me a problem with smearing unless it isn't all the way dry. I also use the Platinum carbon black and Sailor's nano black. If i had to put them in order of most water resistant to least it would be : Platinum carbon black, Noodler's black, and finally Sailor's nano black. I have been using the same bottle of Noodler's black for a while, i'm almost half way through. I wonder if the ink changes slightly from bottle to bottle?

I have Platinum cartridges which is why I don't use it as much, and the Sailor I find to smear even when dry on most paper. I never tried DeAtrementis document ink, but I'll give it a try.

I will try to see if the Noodler's misbehaves on different paper. So far on the Moleskine sketchbook it's doing well.

Oh and I have a sample pack Stillman & Birn sent me, so eventually I'll see which one i prefer. I know they make great books I know i used a few before, but not with watercolors or light washes. We'll see.

elaineb
March 26th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Yes, I've been disappointed with the Sailor nano black as well. It's a very nice ink to write with, but it's not waterproof by any means. What pen are you using with the Noodlers? I generally use ink brushes or vintage flex pens, both of which lay down very wet lines. I wonder if your pens make drier marks, and that's why you get better results with it.

The Stillman & Birn paper isn't watercolor paper, so it reacts differently to heavy washes than traditionally sized sheets. (It's rather absorbent, so there's less opportunity for pigment granulation and color migration in large pools of paint.) But the heavy papers can deal with a lot of water and scrubbing before you see any surface degradation, and even the lighter papers like the Alpha and Beta do quite well when wet.

rgperedo
March 26th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Yes, I've been disappointed with the Sailor nano black as well. It's a very nice ink to write with, but it's not waterproof by any means. What pen are you using with the Noodlers? I generally use ink brushes or vintage flex pens, both of which lay down very wet lines. I wonder if your pens make drier marks, and that's why you get better results with it.

The Stillman & Birn paper isn't watercolor paper, so it reacts differently to heavy washes than traditionally sized sheets. (It's rather absorbent, so there's less opportunity for pigment granulation and color migration in large pools of paint.) But the heavy papers can deal with a lot of water and scrubbing before you see any surface degradation, and even the lighter papers like the Alpha and Beta do quite well when wet.

I use Noodler's Black in a Lamy Vista with en EF nib and a TWSBI Classic with a 1.1 stub. The stub I must admit isn't very juicy and the Lamy definitely isn't. Perhaps that's it?

I am definitely going to get into the Stillman & Birn books after this sketchbook is done. I'll write my opinions on this thread.

rgperedo
March 26th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Here is another Tuscan church, this one is in Florence. San Miniato al Monte is a Romanesque style church which was started in the 11th century. It was added on to successively into the Renaissance. It has an interesting plan and is a full monastery (still in function as such today). I can say this is probably my favorite church in Florence, and maybe Italy. Side note: It was named after San Miniato, a hermit who was sentenced to decapitation. Once decapitated supposedly San Miniato picked his head up and carried it across the Arno river to the site of the church now, which is on top of a large hill outside of the city walls.

http://s17.postimg.org/3y1ay4g3z/Full_Size_Render.jpg

rgperedo
April 10th, 2015, 07:25 PM
The beautiful Florentine Baptistry, also called St. John's Baptistry. 11th century Tuscan Romanesque style architecture.

http://s8.postimg.org/6mn3ivpw5/Full_Size_Render_3.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
April 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Ahhhhhhh.....

Y'know, I may just have to buy some 54th Mass.....

rgperedo
April 21st, 2015, 08:40 PM
Ahhhhhhh.....

???

Sailor Kenshin
April 22nd, 2015, 05:41 AM
Ahhhhhhh.....

???

I meant Noodler's 54 Massachussetts, an ink you used in earlier sketches.

I liked the look of the ink, and I'm trying to 'get my hand back in' with sketching. Even my dentist asked about it. I did some paintings of Canada geese for him eons ago.

rgperedo
April 23rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
Ahhhhhhh.....

???

I meant Noodler's 54 Massachussetts, an ink you used in earlier sketches.

I liked the look of the ink, and I'm trying to 'get my hand back in' with sketching. Even my dentist asked about it. I did some paintings of Canada geese for him eons ago.

I figured it was the ink (54th Mass is probably one of my top 3 favorite inks!) I just didn't know what you were referring to! 54th Mass is a great drawing ink, especially because it can get pretty dark.

Sailor Kenshin
April 23rd, 2015, 10:41 AM
It was all the way on the first page, I guess. ;)

mssketcher
April 24th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Nice job with the perspective and shading. Well done.

mssketcher
April 24th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I like the way you handled the foliage. I am an architect with 44 years experience and I appreciate the stylized approach. Nice work.

rgperedo
June 12th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Yikes, it's been too long since I posted anything here. That is 100% because I haven't been drawing much, but I will try to revive this thread. Here is a drawing I did yesterday of an old VW Bug I saw in Valley Stream, NY. This was fun to draw, but I have to admit drawing cars is not my specialty. I drew this with my Platinum 3776 (Chartres edition) with an EF nib, the ink was Platinum Carbon Black. Hope you guys like it, cheers!

http://s27.postimg.org/57abhekcj/IMG_8760.jpg

Marsilius
June 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Nice. From San Miniato to San Mini-Auto!

Sailor Kenshin
June 12th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I love it! You make me want to buy every pen/ink combo I see in your sketches...but of course I'd need the talent and skill to go with 'em.

rgperedo
June 22nd, 2015, 08:47 PM
PM me your address, I'd like to send you something. If you're interested of course!!

I love it! You make me want to buy every pen/ink combo I see in your sketches...but of course I'd need the talent and skill to go with 'em.

OliverW
June 23rd, 2015, 12:17 PM
I really enjoyed your architectural sketches. All of them were quite lovely, honestly. Good job!

rgperedo
September 24th, 2015, 10:18 AM
I apologize about not posting here more often. I have definitely been drawing, perhaps even more than usual. So here is a drawing of the Hercules from Baccio Bandinelli's sculpture in from of Palazzo della Signoria in Florence.
http://s10.postimg.org/pkd3tkg4p/Screen_Shot_2015_09_24_at_6_11_09_PM.png

Sailor Kenshin
September 24th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Missed your drawings. Welcome back.

Penmoel
September 24th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I apologize about not posting here more often. I have definitely been drawing, perhaps even more than usual. So here is a drawing of the Hercules from Baccio Bandinelli's sculpture in from of Palazzo della Signoria in Florence.
http://s10.postimg.org/pkd3tkg4p/Screen_Shot_2015_09_24_at_6_11_09_PM.png
Excellent drawing, will be keeping an eye out for you in the future, thank you for sharing.

rgperedo
September 24th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Thank you!

Missed your drawings. Welcome back.

penwash
September 24th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Yikes, it's been too long since I posted anything here. That is 100% because I haven't been drawing much, but I will try to revive this thread. Here is a drawing I did yesterday of an old VW Bug I saw in Valley Stream, NY. This was fun to draw, but I have to admit drawing cars is not my specialty. I drew this with my Platinum 3776 (Chartres edition) with an EF nib, the ink was Platinum Carbon Black. Hope you guys like it, cheers!

Your work is fantastic!
I am a big fan of pen and wash technique. Do you consider yourself part of the urban sketcher group?

rgperedo
September 25th, 2015, 01:42 AM

Your work is fantastic!
I am a big fan of pen and wash technique. Do you consider yourself part of the urban sketcher group?

Thank you! Yeah, I like the Urban Sketcher group. I have participated in local events in NY and here in Florence as well.

rgperedo
September 26th, 2015, 12:03 PM
This is one of the most famous attractions in Florence, Ponte Vecchio. It's a medieval bridge which replaced a bridge that was in the same spot during Roman times. Now it is where all the high end jewelry shops are.
http://s28.postimg.org/4qou3ada5/Screen_Shot_2015_09_24_at_6_11_23_PM.png

Laura N
September 26th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Lovely! And I love seeing the blue sky over the Arno.

Flounder
September 27th, 2015, 09:17 AM

Very jelly of the talent shown in this thread!

fountainpagan
September 27th, 2015, 01:20 PM
:jaw: I have just went through all the pages.
Thank you for sharing such wonderful drawings.

rgperedo
October 10th, 2015, 06:45 PM
I went to the Bargello Museum here in Florence to do some drawing. This is a drawing of Michelangelo's Apollo from 1530. The fp is my trusty Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue with an XF nib and Platinum Carbon ink.
http://s27.postimg.org/m5v2cdmfn/IMG_6414.jpg

Sevenof9
October 10th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Wonderful Apollo and Ponte vechio rgperedo. Thank you 7.:)

rgperedo
December 9th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I am back home and reunited with my best friend, Teddy the mini schnauzer. Here is a little sketch on a Post-It. Used my Sailor 1911 Pro Gear Imperial Black FP filled with Noodler's Black.

http://s16.postimg.org/qsnnza23p/IMG_9607.jpg

rgperedo
December 25th, 2015, 02:24 PM
http://s3.postimg.org/j84k232qb/Screen_Shot_2015_12_25_at_3_36_26_PM.png

VertOlive
December 25th, 2015, 08:28 PM
http://s3.postimg.org/j84k232qb/Screen_Shot_2015_12_25_at_3_36_26_PM.png

Thank you and Merry Christmas, R.G.!

rgperedo
February 11th, 2016, 05:41 PM
http://s7.postimg.org/ffg3zoyej/image2.jpg
Small church in Oceanside, NY.

rgperedo
March 1st, 2016, 09:23 AM
http://s29.postimg.org/4s7x6itev/IMG_3023.jpg
Another church, but this time in Laconia, New Hampshire. I went up to NH for the weekend and did a few pen sketches, a few paintings and I also shot some film. It was a great weekend and I was impressed by NH.

fountainpagan
March 1st, 2016, 09:41 AM
Superbe, as usual.
Thank you:)

genevieNatural
March 7th, 2016, 03:17 AM
Another church, but this time in Laconia, New Hampshire. I went up to NH for the weekend and did a few pen sketches, a few paintings and I also shot some film. It was a great weekend and I was impressed by NH.

This is superbly done!

rgperedo
March 16th, 2016, 05:31 PM
http://s10.postimg.org/nbnwlc80p/IMG_3429.jpg
I stopped and drew this on my way home from the LI Pen show. I am pretty sure it's in Hempstead. Once again Lamy pens used for the most part.

Lady Onogaro
March 16th, 2016, 11:28 PM
I stopped and drew this on my way home from the LI Pen show. I am pretty sure it's in Hempstead. Once again Lamy pens used for the most part.

Do you start with a pencil sketch and then go over it with the Lamy, or do you just do it all freehand with the Lamy? It's lovely.

rgperedo
March 17th, 2016, 10:41 PM

Do you start with a pencil sketch and then go over it with the Lamy, or do you just do it all freehand with the Lamy? It's lovely.

I just go for it with my pens. Years ago I would also carry a pencil and do a sketch first, but I really enjoyed the initial lines and measurements I made in pencil, when I erased them I missed the chaos. Now I just use a pen so I have all that documented in my drawing. I use a few pens usually an EF nib either a TWSBI mini or a Lamy Safari, I also always carry a 1.9 stub Lamy Vista for foliage or dark shadows.

ethernautrix
March 18th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I'm on my phone, so don't have the "like" or "thanks" option. I really like your sketches, rgperedo!

rgperedo
April 1st, 2016, 11:08 PM
From my visit to the Met today. A detail of Carpeaux's Ugolino and his sons.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160401/ae07ab33551256506b45f2d61b149055.jpg

rgperedo
April 9th, 2016, 10:06 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160409/137eea0bae039d3459eb15ea00b27604.jpg
Grace Church 1844, designed by architect Elbert Floyd. Massapequa, Long Island. Montblanc 146 extra fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fountainpagan
April 10th, 2016, 01:20 AM
So beautiful!!!

penwash
April 10th, 2016, 04:52 AM

If by "shot some film" you mean taking still photos with a film camera, now you're talking my "other" language :)

Which camera?

rgperedo
April 10th, 2016, 11:35 AM
If by "shot some film" you mean taking still photos with a film camera, now you're talking my "other" language :)

Which camera?[/QUOTE]

I took two cameras with me to New Hampshire. My Polaroid 250 and my Bronica ETRS. I shot Fuji FP100c in the polaroid and 120 HP5. I always take my Polaroid when I go on trips and I have been shooting the Bronica because I missed shooting medium format. I have a bunch of other cameras but there are in rotation right now. What do you shoot!!?!?!?!

rgperedo
May 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I've been busy with schoolwork but here is a drawing of my friend's dog, Yoda. I used a black staedtler fine liner and a Lamy vista with 1.1 min and Noodler's black. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160519/26125a5e99ae482dd7938cb552d9f5b8.jpg

rgperedo
May 22nd, 2016, 10:21 PM
One of the beautiful Hellenistic busts from the Pergamon exhibit at the Met Museum. This is also an EDC sort of deal. I met with a "watch friend" so I brought a watch they wanted to see. Snapshot of what I carried with me today.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/c54395172b3648176b00dcc82d94f895.jpg

rgperedo
July 4th, 2016, 11:04 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160705/4d5fc24135758c31b131653e38bf5540.jpg

I haven't been sketching much lately. I have more time now that the semester is over so I've been doing some plein air oil painting. This is a dairy barn somewhere between Merrick and Seaford on Long Island. Oil on a 9x12 canvas board.

migo984
July 5th, 2016, 02:00 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160705/4d5fc24135758c31b131653e38bf5540.jpg

I haven't been sketching much lately. I have more time now that the semester is over so I've been doing some plein air oil painting. This is a dairy barn somewhere between Merrick and Seaford on Long Island. Oil on a 9x12 canvas board.

I love those colours. A real rusty red barn. Lovely work :-)

rgperedo
July 7th, 2016, 09:11 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/1e4911964eafbca13357f1c994e23f7a.jpg

This is a small 8"x8" watercolor and gouache portrait of a friend. Done on some nice Arches cold press watercolor paper.

rgperedo
July 25th, 2016, 10:39 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160726/c745a3b2b831ebee77a81bcbe79ec7b0.jpg

Small sketch of a Spanish Colonial Revival church in Malverne, NY.

VegHead
July 25th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Pure genius mate, pure genius. Love it!

rgperedo
August 7th, 2016, 11:01 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/ab04e6f7c4de9ddcf4b9cbd8dc4aa457.jpg

Greek Orthodox Church in Merrick, NY.

Sailor Kenshin
August 7th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Beautiful. And also close to my childhood home. :)

rgperedo
October 11th, 2016, 07:17 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161011/6b35119ef64ec1591c7aa66b35005e11.jpg

Small ink drawing of a lamp post down by Central Park south. Used Noodler's Black for most of the drawing. Cheers!

Sailor Kenshin
October 11th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Beautiful. Is the black pen some kind of marker?

rgperedo
October 11th, 2016, 08:05 AM
The small pen is a Pilot pen that has a refillable cartridge and has a felt fude nib. The other is a Staedtler fine liner and of course the last is a Lamy Vista. Both the Vista and Pilot are filled with Noodler's Black. I also started carrying a brush pen filled with diluted Noodler's Black but I don't like it very much.

rgperedo
October 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Drawing of a neo classical building. Black ink of course for Inktober!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161013/9414fba23878ab2ed6573a4e32df5894.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
October 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM
The small pen is a Pilot pen that has a refillable cartridge and has a felt fude nib. The other is a Staedtler fine liner and of course the last is a Lamy Vista. Both the Vista and Pilot are filled with Noodler's Black. I also started carrying a brush pen filled with diluted Noodler's Black but I don't like it very much.

Thanks...I knew one of them was a Pilot Somethingorother.

rgperedo
October 24th, 2016, 06:03 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/7ad3c7ec39ed4fcf409e2e07d2b38183.jpg

The tower of the Church of Our Lady of Pompeii. Greenwich Village, NY.

rgperedo
October 16th, 2017, 05:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/1eba6831153bd0b8bb43c34900e5f57c.jpg

Hello everyone! I've been missing from the forum but I've been drawing consistently. Since it is ink-tober I've been doing these ink drawings daily. Done with a Lamy Vista with an EF nib and Noodler's Black!

Cyril
October 16th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I would like to post here more often, but I have been a little busy with school. This is actually a drawing I did on campus. This is the school where I'm doing my Graduate degree, CUNY Queens College. I carry three fountain pens with me in my sketching setup: TWSBI Mini with an F nib filled with Noodler's Lex Gray, a Lamy Vista with en EF nib filled with Noodler's Black and a TWSBI Classic with a 1.1 stub filled with Noodler's Black. I keep my pens in a Nock Co Hightower case.

http://s15.postimg.org/5vjh8p2gr/Screen_Shot_2014_09_12_at_6_49_22_PM.png

Beautiful work and very impressive.

rgperedo
October 18th, 2017, 12:48 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/c901d3d3fa33bd00d12b0ef4597875c5.jpg

A baby bird. Lamy Vista EF filled with trusty ol’ Noodler’s Black.

rgperedo
October 19th, 2017, 01:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/05fc0b59debc92a7a54329dda164d5ab.jpg

One of my trouble makers, Sully. Lamy Vista with an EF nib filled with Noodler’s Black. I have a lot of fountain pens and a decent amount of ink, but this combo is the most successful in my opinion. I’ve been beating this Vista up for years and it’s still incredibly fun to use.

fountainpagan
October 22nd, 2017, 02:08 AM
You are very talented.

I love your thread, it is very useful to understand things such as perspective, and values, among others.

Keep on :applause:

rgperedo
October 25th, 2017, 11:32 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/9dc88309c8b27356d402f20d45dd821b.jpg

Some of Frank Lloyd Wright’s early work in Oak Park, IL

As always Lamy Vista with Noodler’s black.

Sailor Kenshin
October 25th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Ooo that's REALLY nice!

Cyril
January 4th, 2018, 07:04 PM
I love this thread :dance3:

penwash
January 4th, 2018, 09:28 PM

One of my trouble makers, Sully. Lamy Vista with an EF nib filled with Noodler’s Black. I have a lot of fountain pens and a decent amount of ink, but this combo is the most successful in my opinion. I’ve been beating this Vista up for years and it’s still incredibly fun to use.

Incredible control! One of the most amazing sketches you've made.

rgperedo
January 4th, 2018, 10:38 PM

Incredible control! One of the most amazing sketches you've made.

Thank you very much! It was a fun drawing.

rgperedo
January 4th, 2018, 10:42 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180105/d38f0c6c66d8b3dd5e4f69848b5efc65.jpg

I always mean to post here more often, and I have no reason not to. So as a resolution I’ll be posting here way more.

I drew this military truck yesterday in Oceanside, NY. Pilot Metro F nib and a Muji .35 in black.

rgperedo
January 6th, 2018, 11:26 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/b85fae6781181d3d09a7677513fa2910.jpg
Beautiful brick house in Cold Spring, NY.

fountainpagan
January 8th, 2018, 01:59 AM
Great sketch.:)

Sid the Cat
April 4th, 2018, 04:27 PM
These are very nice...I sometimes carry a little brush pen with a dilute ink solution. It works well for laying out a drawing.

azkid
April 4th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Wow, very inspiring! Lots to learn from your work, thanks for sharing!

rgperedo
April 17th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I had a nice brush pen (pentel??) but I realized that the brush tip wouldn't hold its shape for too long. I started to carry markers instead, which isn't the same but it was fun to try out.

These are very nice...I sometimes carry a little brush pen with a dilute ink solution. It works well for laying out a drawing.

Cyril
March 17th, 2019, 07:06 PM
I love this one and very original and , I love all your drawings need a big :thank_you2: to insprire all of us here,

calamus
March 18th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Do you start right in in ink, or do you sketch out anything lightly in pencil first?

rgperedo
November 15th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Unless it's a commission, I always just go in with ink from the start. I really enjoy trying to figure the drawing out and thinking of the lines as part of the construction. Plus, that allows your style to shine through and makes the work more interesting, in my humble opinion.

Do you start right in in ink, or do you sketch out anything lightly in pencil first?

bobbiearias
November 29th, 2021, 08:04 AM
Artists are very talented people