PDA

View Full Version : This Pencil is Driving A Number of Us Crazy Trying To Identify It

Halfhyde
May 2nd, 2014, 06:01 PM
I am sure that most of you will have seen these pencils before as they are not uncommon. I probably have at least 25 of them on hand and have sold scores of them.

They usually have one variation or another of Made in USA on the clip and I have two that have model numbers and the imprint reads:

1,) The V-3 Lucite Pencil does a big advertising job at small cost
2.) The V-3T transparent lucite pencil amazes everyone who sees it This one has no inner columns and you can actually see the mechanism

Both Jon Veley and I have one of them that says HA-WA-AN on the clip I have no idea what this means

Additional Information:

The trim is either chrome or goldtone
The columns inside the lucite take on a variety of colors
Their is usually an advertising imprint on the faces of the square lucite barrels. I have a few that have no imprints.
They use either 0.7mm or 1.1mm lead
They are 5 3/8 inches in length and the sides are 7.65mm

Here is a composite of two examples of them:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11208&stc=1

If anyone has any ideas about who made these pencils please post here.

Thank you,

Michael Little
Phoenix, Arizona

Twopens
May 3rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
1950's? My parents and grandparents had these when I was a kid.

Matt

Halfhyde
May 5th, 2014, 11:39 AM
1950's? My parents and grandparents had these when I was a kid.

Matt

I ran across one last night that had an anniversary date on it of 1949, but I am not sure how much farther back they might go

Michael Little
Phoenix, Arizona

vikramguliya
May 20th, 2014, 01:20 AM
I really don't know how people manage to preserve this old pencils for that matter even any antique article.. Its really nice to c people who does this kind of work

Halfhyde
October 29th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Well, I finally have an answer for everyone on this pencil. It is known as The Horwitch Pencil, after it's inventor, Philip R. Horwitch of Leominster, Massachusetts. It was made by Paramount Manufacturing, also of Leominster.

Most of these pencils have no brand information on them. I had previously seen a number with HA WA IN on the clip, and I still do not know what that means. I will soon have one that does have on the clip: Paramount Leominster, MASS.

On September 28, 1948 Philip Horwitch took out a design patent US D163606 S