PDA

View Full Version : Soennecken 222 sizes - An unknown size for me. - "222 Junior"

piscov
May 3rd, 2014, 04:09 AM
Hello all,

Soenneckens are one of my main focus on pen collecting, I like "hunting" especially the 111 and 222 series in colorful celluloid, So far I had found only 3 size variations: Extra, Superior and Lady.

Today I was surprised when I unpacked my newest red lizard celluloid Soennecken 222 and it is marked Soenneken 222 Junior.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPB/Soennecken%20222%20Junior/IMG_1217.JPG

Size wise it is the same as a superior, Filling mechanism is the same (click), feed is the same, clip is the same, Same cap length and diameter, same barrel length and diameter, all looks the same... so Why is it a Junior and why there is no size difference when compared to the Superior?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPB/Soennecken%20222%20Junior/IMG_1215.JPG

All details in the pen are similar except the nib is not marked Soennecken. At first I though it was a replacement nib but them I took it out and to my surprise it is exactly the same size, shape and even the V in the lower part of the nib is the same as any Soennecken 222 Superior Nib. As to quality it is the same great quality I am used to see in my other Soennecken pens.

Now I have some questions in my mind:

Has anyone seen this 222 Junior size before? Did it had this type of nib? Is the generic nib the reason for the "Junior" name in the pen?
Soennecken had all the nibs made from a external supplier?
What suppliers is this that used a lion head in the nibs?

I am absolutely convinced that this is the original nib from this pens. It is exactly the same size, shape and even the v cut in the lower part of the nib is similar to the 222 Superior nib showed bellow. Also the nib size and the marking in the feed is coherent (BS).....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31730936/Material%20posto%20nos%20foruns/FPB/Soennecken%20222%20Junior/IMG_1220.JPG

I would love to have your inputs on this Soennecken 222 Junior.

Best regards

Vasco

Jeph
May 3rd, 2014, 05:15 AM
The only help I can give is that thet lion head mark is Rupp. In general they are very good nibs.

As too many people drool over the Sonnecken name they stay out of my price range so I have no reference pens.

I checked my reference files for Rupp and I see nothing about them making nibs for Sonnecken but that does not mean that it did not happen.
With the inbreeding of fountain pen parts (this is not unique to Germany) it would not surprise me that they were indeed produced on the same assembly line with the only difference being the stamping.

To my eye the Sonnecken marked nib looks to be wider at the tail and taper slower from the shoulder but that could be a trick of lighting and perspective. Just like in the picture of the pens the Junior looks to be 1/4" shorter than the superior. But I get that in my pictures all the time so I accept that the barrels are the same length.

I think that your best bet is just to give me both pens and then you won't have to worry about the answers. :)

Edit for spelling

fountainpenkid
May 4th, 2014, 07:44 PM
The junior looks shorter capped and uncapped at least in the picture.