PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feedback Re: Pilot Vanishing Point with Broad Nib

klpeabody
May 31st, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have been seriously considering the purchase of a Pilot VP for some time. There seems to be a plethora of reviews available regarding EF, F and M nibs, but I am interested in a Broad nib. Can anyone offer constructive commentary on the Pilot VP with B? Also, how are Pilot VP's out-of-the-box? Is binderized better?

Thanks!
kp

GemMayhem
May 31st, 2012, 08:41 PM
My experience with Broad Pilot VP nibs has been great. Some folks had noted that ink flow might be a problem because the feed is small, but I have not had any problems using either refilled cartridges or the CON-20 converter. I have also a cursive italic VP nib from Richard Binder that began its life as a broad nib and it is divine! :thumb: It is always in my rotation and travels with me everywhere. I hope you have similar happy experience if you decide to get one. :)

IWantThat
May 31st, 2012, 09:57 PM
My first VP was a Broad nib, and it's still my favorite. It is one of the smoothest nibs I own :)

klpeabody
June 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
My experience with Broad Pilot VP nibs has been great. Some folks had noted that ink flow might be a problem because the feed is small, but I have not had any problems using either refilled cartridges or the CON-20 converter. I have also a cursive italic VP nib from Richard Binder that began its life as a broad nib and it is divine! :thumb: It is always in my rotation and travels with me everywhere. I hope you have similar happy experience if you decide to get one. :)

Thank you!

klpeabody
June 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM
My first VP was a Broad nib, and it's still my favorite. It is one of the smoothest nibs I own :)

Thank you!

ink mixer
June 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
The Pilot B nibs are great, although I only have them in the Custom 74. I do have a F nib from Binder though. The unmodified Pilot nibs tend to be dry, so if you like a wet nib you want to order from Mr. Binder because it should come with a wet flow from him.

jotterius
June 3rd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Mine was also smooth but also had skipping problems

IWantThat
June 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
The Pilot B nibs are great, although I only have them in the Custom 74. I do have a F nib from Binder though. The unmodified Pilot nibs tend to be dry, so if you like a wet nib you want to order from Mr. Binder because it should come with a wet flow from him.

In my experience, the VP nibs are not dry at all, but really quite wet. That's part of what makes them so smooth :)

Ziggy1333
August 26th, 2012, 05:24 AM
yeah, i have the VP in Broad and it's nice and BROAD, not medium, like other Japanese pens, but really quite Broad, and sooo wet... it's great

liapuyat
January 29th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I have a VP nib in B, that was turned into a 0.9mm cursive italic by Deb Kinney. Nice and wet!

KrazyIvan
January 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Wow, I did not realize the B nib was big enough to do a .9mm. I have an M and held back purchasing the B because of several posts saying it was not much wider than the M.

snedwos
January 29th, 2013, 11:30 AM
From what I have read on the Internet, unless you're getting a very good deal somewhere else, there's no reason not to order from Richard Binder...

KrazyIvan
January 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I can grind my own so $91 vs $55 is a big difference for me. It may be good to get a binderized one if anything to get a close up view of his work and compare to my own grinds.