PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter Notebooks

Silverbreeze
May 4th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I have noticed that I am backing alot of notebooks on KickStarter lately. While most of them have been reviewed by people known on this forum. I have noticed there doesn't seem to be a thread to discuss KickStarter Paper Projects. As most of my backed projects are finished, I will just give the one I backed today that is still active to start the Thread.

Some Discussion Points I hope people will cover

Would you back something that is just a notebook or does it need to be unique in someway?
What is your opinion of Page Templates (Cardstock or plastic)?
Do notebooks of 80GSM or less even interest most FPGeeks?
Does a bookmark add to the value of a Notebook
Does the includsion of a straight edge incruese the value of a Kickstarer Project
Am i the only own who has a major fear that I will find the prefect book and it will only have one run through kickstarter and never graduate to a full product that i can buy more of?

Here is a link the active KickStarter Notebook that kickstarted this topic for me. While I would love to see it funded I am actually more courious to see a discussion that covers the points above and any other that anyone can think of.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timtwo/sketchynotebook

Thanks

ypsilanti
May 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the link, Silverbreeze, this looks like a cool project. I've supported two notebook Kickstarters in the past, one which pleased me and one which did not. I'm impressed that this fellow wants to make notebooks that function well (as opposed to just a snazzy design). He uses notebooks all the time and is grabbing an opportunity to make his perfect notebook. More power to him.

I want a blank (unruled) B5 notebook that lies flat (no spiral binding) and is filled with great paper that's not as heavy as Clairefontaine/Rhodia. This notebook does not exist. It is my imaginary perfect notebook.

Addressing your questions: I think page templates are great, but I rarely use them. They're a nice option to have and I like the plan for the Sketchy Notebook. Bookmarks attached or included aren't a deal-breaker for me. I've got lots of bookmarks and tags and clips for that purpose. I do like the bookmark in this project; seems to be of benefit to the artists and designers he's marketing toward.

Have no fear about enjoying only a brief interlude with a perfect notebook. The perfect notebook does not exist. Sure is fun looking for it, though.

Silverbreeze
May 4th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the link, Silverbreeze, this looks like a cool project. I've supported two notebook Kickstarters in the past, one which pleased me and one which did not. I'm impressed that this fellow wants to make notebooks that function well (as opposed to just a snazzy design). He uses notebooks all the time and is grabbing an opportunity to make his perfect notebook. More power to him.

I want a blank (unruled) B5 notebook that lies flat (no spiral binding) and is filled with great paper that's not as heavy as Clairefontaine/Rhodia. This notebook does not exist. It is my imaginary perfect notebook.

Addressing your questions: I think page templates are great, but I rarely use them. They're a nice option to have and I like the plan for the Sketchy Notebook. Bookmarks attached or included aren't a deal-breaker for me. I've got lots of bookmarks and tags and clips for that purpose. I do like the bookmark in this project; seems to be of benefit to the artists and designers he's marketing toward.

Have no fear about enjoying only a brief interlude with a perfect notebook. The perfect notebook does not exist. Sure is fun looking for it, though.

Have you tried the Maruman Note? I believe that is a B5, I like it as my jot down book because even in a cover it fits into the back pocket of my jeans.

You can also check Renaissance Art Leather journals but their paper will be too thick for you I think

earthdawn
May 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Thats a pretty well thought out notebook for sure. I would love to be able to get a sample of the paper he is using.

Silverbreeze
May 4th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Thats a pretty well thought out notebook for sure. I would love to be able to get a sample of the paper he is using.

If I get mine I will send you a note with a blank page if you would like

earthdawn
May 4th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks....

I may back it just because it is so cool AND because it lays so super flat! I mean it looks like he really hit the nail on the head with getting at least that part of it 100%

Silverbreeze
May 5th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Yeah so few of my books do that, and you kind of need it with wet inks like fountain pens. Even if you aren't left handed like me. I also like the pad like tear away. Notebooks aren't Journals, I need the pages remove able on some projects

ypsilanti
May 5th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Have you tried the Maruman Note? I believe that is a B5, I like it as my jot down book because even in a cover it fits into the back pocket of my jeans.

You can also check Renaissance Art Leather journals but their paper will be too thick for you I think

I have a Maruman pad, but none of their notebooks. They are ruled and/or spiral bound, two things I don't care for.

I've looked at Renaissance Art just recently, in fact, and noted that they have really good prices on custom covers. I've been making my own notebooks for a little while and plan to take a break and try some new ones. The quest continues!

Silverbreeze
May 5th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I had Arthur and his team make a cover for this : http://www.paperforfountainpens.com/collections/all/products/blank-book-cream . Working perfectly

ypsilanti
May 5th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Okay, I've just backed the project. The notebook does look very cool -- but better than that, I love that this young man is making his perfect notebook and putting it out into the world. I want to support & encourage that sort of behavior. :)

Silverbreeze
May 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM
👍 hope it funds :-) 🙏

caribbean_skye
May 5th, 2014, 05:02 PM
dangit, i dont need to be tempted by more notebooks!

That is a neat looking book though.

Tracy Lee
May 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I thought about backing but his chart showed it to be not FP friendly for the most part and Since I use big Wet nibs I Will pass, But I hope it funds for those Looking for new options in paper that won't have any Issues with it.

Silverbreeze
May 14th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Looks like the designer is receptive to Fountain pen people so something may come of this

inkyletters
May 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Finally, as we get more backers we'd also like to offer a unique fountain pen-friendly paper SketchyNotebook for all of you calligraphers out there. We're working with the factory as we speak, and are trying to get the most premium paper we can, hopefully it'll work out! Don’t worry, we haven't left you out fountain pen community! Video tests will come as soon as we get the new samples.

That's the latest update- just posted sooooo yay!

Silverbreeze
May 14th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Finally, as we get more backers we'd also like to offer a unique fountain pen-friendly paper SketchyNotebook for all of you calligraphers out there. We're working with the factory as we speak, and are trying to get the most premium paper we can, hopefully it'll work out! Don’t worry, we haven't left you out fountain pen community! Video tests will come as soon as we get the new samples.

That's the latest update- just posted sooooo yay!

Yup. Tho I use UEF - MI nibs mostly so should be ok

bertcarson
May 14th, 2014, 09:48 PM
This was my first experience with a Kickstarter project and a great way to get started. Now I'm a backer, even if I have to find a gel pen or two to use with it.

tenney
May 14th, 2014, 11:28 PM
So far I'll give 'em a try too. The pricing is (a) early bird (lower) but only one template, or (b) higher (full backer price) for lots of templates. Not sure what or how many templates will be wanted or needed. Or just plain blank paper.

Silverbreeze
May 18th, 2014, 12:40 PM
This was my first experience with a Kickstarter project and a great way to get started. Now I'm a backer, even if I have to find a gel pen or two to use with it.

Even though I am carrying one, I have my doubts of the Parker 5th Pens, so if you do get a "Normal Person" pen, avoid those as they are a tad pricey... and the refills are high cost. I may share my Adventures into the 5th if their is interest, once I finish the refill that is

spotted and speckled
May 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM
I funded him, for the full templates. Those look cool. Even if the paper is no good for my wet OBs, it should be respectable for sketching with pencil.

FWIW--these are my favorite notebooks: http://www.mymaido.com/273-tsubame-notebooks
They lay flat, are supersmooth, and take ink well. I confess--Sometimes I only get to use one side of the paper if I'm using a real gusher.

alc3261
May 19th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I have noticed that I am backing alot of notebooks on KickStarter lately. While most of them have been reviewed by people known on this forum. I have noticed there doesn't seem to be a thread to discuss KickStarter Paper Projects. As most of my backed projects are finished, I will just give the one I backed today that is still active to start the Thread.

Some Discussion Points I hope people will cover

Would you back something that is just a notebook or does it need to be unique in someway?
What is your opinion of Page Templates (Cardstock or plastic)?
Do notebooks of 80GSM or less even interest most FPGeeks?
Does a bookmark add to the value of a Notebook
Does the includsion of a straight edge incruese the value of a Kickstarer Project
Am i the only own who has a major fear that I will find the prefect book and it will only have one run through kickstarter and never graduate to a full product that i can buy more of?

Here is a link the active KickStarter Notebook that kickstarted this topic for me. While I would love to see it funded I am actually more courious to see a discussion that covers the points above and any other that anyone can think of.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timtwo/sketchynotebook

Thanks
I'm in!!

Silverbreeze
May 20th, 2014, 01:19 PM
To be honest the Templates really really interest me even more then the book(s)

I funded him, for the full templates. Those look cool. Even if the paper is no good for my wet OBs, it should be respectable for sketching with pencil.

FWIW--these are my favorite notebooks: http://www.mymaido.com/273-tsubame-notebooks
They lay flat, are supersmooth, and take ink well. I confess--Sometimes I only get to use one side of the paper if I'm using a real gusher.

Silverbreeze
May 25th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Update copied from kickstarter

Have a feeling the FP paper will be a product in the future but who knows

2) Paper test result
We've been testing different paper with fountain pens and have found a really nice premium paper that we all think works perfectly with SketchyNotebook. (Yes, it just keeps getting better!) We're really excited for this because it takes SketchyNotebook to a whole new level! The paper not work only works great with sketching with pen and pencil, but now also with fountain pen as well. Don’t worry, even with this new premium paper you will still be able to see the templates underneath. The paper we're currently using now is great for sketching , but this new paper is even more versatile.

Here's the video for the new paper test: http://youtu.be/XPBSxLB5Ar4