PDA

View Full Version : Banditapple Carnet - opinions?

Tokugawa
May 31st, 2012, 09:15 PM
I see Brian and Rachel have brought in this line. Looks interesting. Any opinions as how this brand compares to Clarefontaine, Rhodia, Moleskine or other paper products out there, please? Thank you!

KrazyIvan
May 31st, 2012, 10:55 PM
I don't remember the exact screen name but I think Brian mentioned the blogger that pointed him in the direction of those notebooks. Okami, maybe? Has a review.

Bogon07
May 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM
Rants of the Archer did a review last year:
http://archer-rantings.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/notebook-review-banditapple-carnet.html

He also did one on the FieldNotes Northerly edition too

ink mixer
June 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
I have the size that fits the Midori, but I don't have a Midori. The quality seems good, and it will lie flat. The drawbacks are inks don't shade as well, they do not contain that many pages, and the covers are a little flimsy because it is more of a refill.

KrazyIvan
June 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
I have the size that fits the Midori, but I don't have a Midori. The quality seems good, and it will lie flat. The drawbacks are inks don't shade as well, they do not contain that many pages, and the covers are a little flimsy because it is more of a refill.

Which one fits the Midori?

ink mixer
June 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I believe I bought the Handy.

banditapple
June 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hello!

YES, our Handy size fits perfect with Midori TN notebooks.
IF you want to test our Banditapple Carnet, you can request a sample.

For more,
https://banditapple.typeform.com/to/hGarLH

Heliotrope
June 26th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I also have a Banditapple Handy that I purchased to try with my Midori leather cover. It's great paper--no feathering, no bleedthrough, smooth and sturdy. The stitched binding lies flat, and the cover is lightweight card stock so it doesn't make you fight to keep the notebook open. I also felt that ink showed a little less shading than other papers. Not sure why. There was some shading, but I primarily notice how sharp the lines of ink appear against the page. I wasn't aware that samples were generally available, but the notebook wasn't expensive and I'm glad to support the business with my purchase. It's not the only paper that I use, but it is among my favorites (which include Midori, Apica, and Clairefontaine).

TMac
June 27th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I also have a Banditapple Handy that I purchased to try with my Midori leather cover. It's great paper--no feathering, no bleedthrough, smooth and sturdy. The stitched binding lies flat, and the cover is lightweight card stock so it doesn't make you fight to keep the notebook open. I also felt that ink showed a little less shading than other papers. Not sure why. There was some shading, but I primarily notice how sharp the lines of ink appear against the page. I wasn't aware that samples were generally available, but the notebook wasn't expensive and I'm glad to support the business with my purchase. It's not the only paper that I use, but it is among my favorites (which include Midori, Apica, and Clairefontaine).

+1 for Banditapple. Heliotrope captured my opinions very well.

tannie
June 28th, 2013, 12:16 PM

+1 for Banditapple. Heliotrope captured my opinions very well.

+1 here too

I do like Clairefontaine, Rhodia and Tomoe river paper, but for 'just taking notes' I love Banditapple. I have a whole bunch of them (I order in bulk). They have this somewhat newspaper/recycled look and feel, but don't feather or bleedthrough with the inks I use. I have an ink-book in which I write the ink-samples and bottles I have and some of the samples do feather (Rome Burning, most of the Noodler's Polars) so I find it very helpful in finding out if an ink will feather easily or not. For the record, Noodler's Blue Nose Bear (and that has feathering built into it afaik). The inks do indeed not shade very much, but I think that has to do with the drying time, which, in my experience, takes almost no time at all (again, for most inks I have). Can't beat the price either... :)

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I did buy one to try it. I purchased the weekly agenda and have been very happy with it.

banditapple
July 2nd, 2013, 11:06 PM
We make our own unique only writing purpose designed paper from the mill for Banditapple Carnet.

We used less chemical, and printed with soy type ink.
so paper looks and feels different
but we believe our paper is very good for writing enjoyment.

Thanks.

Arnie

Heliotrope
July 3rd, 2013, 05:43 AM
We make our own unique only writing purpose designed paper from the mill for Banditapple Carnet.

We used less chemical, and printed with soy type ink.
so paper looks and feels different
but we believe our paper is very good for writing enjoyment.

Thanks.

Arnie

Thanks for the explanation. It's good to know that you are here with us on FPG!

cedargirl
July 5th, 2013, 03:08 AM
I have tried them and they are good!

Ernst Bitterman
July 10th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I'm also inclined towards them. To synopsize a small review (http://ravensmarch.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/unruly-fruit/); EXCELLENT resistence to bleed-though, very slight feathering with a lot of inks but that includes ones that like to feather madly; if you can tolerate a little, you're rewarded with it not getting any further out of hand. If you go down that link, you'll see a misleading amount of show-through in the second image-- my scanner has x-ray vision.

Pens&Lit
July 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I just got my weekly agenda, and I really like it so far. No feathering or bleed through and I like the way it is laid out a lot.