PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go hmmm...

mtnbiker62
May 6th, 2014, 09:32 AM
$8.25 on JetPens, but $120 on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Penmanship-EF-/181399751808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c448c80

Lady Onogaro
May 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM
$8.25 on JetPens, but $120 on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Penmanship-EF-/181399751808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c448c80

Really? How crazy is that?

scrivelry
May 6th, 2014, 10:26 AM
You have to wonder if some decimal points just didn't end up in the right place. $12.00, while more than Jetpens charges, may come close to what some other place might charge. A bit high for this used pen, but not unthinkable. If the seller honestly believes they can get 120 dollars for it, they have problems beyond the pricing of fountain pens.

While there is a sucker born every minute, and the seller could be counting on this, I think it's a lot more likely that a typo caused this...

Kaputnik
May 6th, 2014, 02:11 PM
You have to wonder if some decimal points just didn't end up in the right place. $12.00, while more than Jetpens charges, may come close to what some other place might charge. A bit high for this used pen, but not unthinkable. If the seller honestly believes they can get 120 dollars for it, they have problems beyond the pricing of fountain pens.

While there is a sucker born every minute, and the seller could be counting on this, I think it's a lot more likely that a typo caused this...

Well, I'd like to believe you're right. If the ad gets pulled and then resubmitted with a plausible price, then that's probably it.

Otherwise, according to the description, this is a personal pen that the seller used. If it's not a typo, then he was either robbed himself and doesn't know it yet, or he has absolutely no shame.

Incidentally, I looked at the Jet Pens listing. Doesn't look like a bad starter pen to recommend to or buy for someone else. Anybody have any experience with these?

EDIT. By the way, even if it was a typo for $12.00, he's charging $3.40 in shipping, so that's $15.40 for an $8.25 pen. At least with Jet Pens you could add on some inks and a converter to bring it up to $25 and get free shipping

Lady Onogaro
May 6th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I do. The nib can be scratchy, and it's not that comfortable to hold, but if you needed a pen to enter numbers into a ledger or a grade books or something like that, this is the guy to use. It was the pen I used to practice using my micromesh and mylar on. Now I like it.

cwent2
May 6th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Got to wonder about some peoples children.

Brisboy
May 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I have one which I got off Ebay for a much more reasonable price. Using as an eye dropper with green ink at the moment. Love watching the ink sloshing around the pen. :D Writes quite nicely if you're happy with extra fine.

scrivelry
May 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM
EDIT. By the way, even if it was a typo for $12.00, he's charging $3.40 in shipping, so that's $15.40 for an $8.25 pen. At least with Jet Pens you could add on some inks and a converter to bring it up to $25 and get free shipping[/QUOTE]

I agree that this is not a great deal either way.