PDA

View Full Version : Manu Propria - Glowing pen

Manupropria
May 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Maybe another one I should share with you, a glowing pen.
his time no urushi, its resin and luminous oyster powder
The receipt from old days:
Take oyster shells and clean them with warm water; put them into the fire for half an hour; at the end of that time take them out and let them cool. When quite cool, pound them fine, and take away any gray parts, as they are of no use. Put the powder in a crucible in alternate layers with flour and sulphur. Put on the lid and cement with sand made into a stiff paste with beer. When dry, put over the fire and bake for an hour. Wait until quite cold before opening the lid. The product ought to be white. You must separate all gray parts, as they are not luminous. Make a sifter in the following manner: Take a pot, put a piece of very fine muslin very loosely across it, tie around with a string, put the powder into the top, and rake about until only the coarse powder remains; open the pot and you will find a very small powder; mix it into a thin paint with gum water, as two thin applications are better than one thick one. This will give a paint that will remain luminous far into the night, provided it is exposed to light during the day.

anthonyd
May 6th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Your ideas for pens are utterly fascinating. I look forward to your next posts.

Tony

Ernst Bitterman
May 7th, 2014, 11:23 AM
That's a fascinating recipe-- it speaks of someone who had a LOT of spare time and an huge element of "What happens if I do this...?" in his character.

Nomdeplume
May 7th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Fascinating! Why BEER in the mixture?

Manupropria
May 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
At that time beer was an agent to bind the sand and to make a sort of blaster or concret

Mesu
May 8th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Very impressive. I like that you made your own blank instead of buying off the shelf.

Curious to know: Can you make a pen of different color or pattern which can glow in the dark?

Manupropria
May 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Thank you Mesu, I gess it is possible if I work with layers. For the pen above the resin was filled into paper tubes

Jon Szanto
May 8th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Incredible. Imagine waving those at rock concerts...

Mags
May 10th, 2014, 08:04 AM
What a wonderful idea.

dannzeman
September 10th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I animated the images to give a little different perspective:

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/manupropari.gif