PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help From my Friends?

VertOlive
May 6th, 2014, 07:06 PM
OK. So nice people leave me a message saying they want to be friends. I click "friend". What happens next? Is there an etiquette to this? What to do?

I realize that asking this leaves me open to being pegged as a "High Function Sociopath". Like my hero Sherlock.

But seriously....?

ypsilanti
May 6th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks for posting the question, VO. I've been wondering the same. Not wondering whether you're a sociopath, but about this "friend" business. I, too, have responded in the affirmative to all friend requests. Ought I be sending requests of my own? Then what happens?

Will you be my friend?

Lady Onogaro
May 6th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I sent you guys one because someone sent me one and so then I thought I should send some out. I think your friends are simply listed on your profile. You can also give seller and buyer feedback, as well.

scrivelry
May 6th, 2014, 08:54 PM
It also makes it easier to stalk your friend's posts. It does not seem to give you any superpowers, like it would on Facebook or Live Journal.

If there is indeed some local culture of how one friends, who one friends, and how that marches, I have no idea what it is, but would love to ...

jackwebb
May 8th, 2014, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure of the protocol when receiving unsolicited friend requests, I usually send a friend request to someone I have corresponded with via IM or snail mail just to refresh my memory. I would probably give them a couple of days and then shoot them an IM to see if they were interested in corresponding.

Sailor Kenshin
May 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM
OK. So nice people leave me a message saying they want to be friends. I click "friend". What happens next? Is there an etiquette to this? What to do?

I realize that asking this leaves me open to being pegged as a "High Function Sociopath". Like my hero Sherlock.

But seriously....?

But it's a little tricky. You can't just say 'yes,' like IRL. Or check-mark the name. You also have to type in the name of your incipient friend and then hit Save Changes.

VertOlive
May 8th, 2014, 07:39 AM

But seriously....?

But it's a little tricky. You can't just say 'yes,' like IRL. Or check-mark the name. You also have to type in the name of your incipient friend and then hit Save Changes.

Yes, as far as the accepting the request part, I think I'm doing that right since avatars appear in my Friends List. But what to do next? Do I send them a Friend Request? Do we meet for coffee? Can I pester them with pictures of my pets and my Basil Farm?

Dilemma, dilemma...

kaisnowbird
May 8th, 2014, 07:56 AM

But seriously....?

Yes, as far as the accepting the request part, I think I'm doing that right since avatars appear in my Friends List. But what to do next? Do I send them a Friend Request? Do we meet for coffee? Can I pester them with pictures of my pets and my Basil Farm?

Dilemma, dilemma...

I'd say yes to coffee, pets and besil farm. YMMV. ;)

Aleks
May 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM
hahaha! gotta say im a big infractor of that department :) -- i send out friend requests mainly for 2 reasons; because it's easier to keep track of conversations on threads since they pop up on one's feed and if we've exchanged snail mail :D sometimes you just need to :boink:

writingrav
May 8th, 2014, 01:04 PM

But seriously....?

Dilemma, dilemma...

Personally I'd be very interested in seeing your Basil farm.

caribbean_skye
May 9th, 2014, 05:33 AM
+1 Basil farm. +2 if you send dried basil. :)

ypsilanti
May 9th, 2014, 09:36 AM
+1 Basil farm. +2 if you send dried basil. :)

Dried basil and some of that iron gall ink you're cooking, VO...

VertOlive
May 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks for posting the question, VO. I've been wondering the same. Not wondering whether you're a sociopath, but about this "friend" business. I, too, have responded in the affirmative to all friend requests. Ought I be sending requests of my own? Then what happens?

Will you be my friend?

Wait 'til you see the tuck-in with your name on it!