PDA

View Full Version : Aurora 88 - Italian Masterpiece

Murfie
May 6th, 2014, 09:04 PM
My pen purchases in recent times have concentrated on some magnificent Italian brands ... Delta, Visconti, Marlen, and Aurora, and on the subject of Aurora, I have always lusted after a full sized Aurora 88 with a chrome cap. What a wonderful design, size and balance, a high-quality piston filler with a 14kt gold nib. This week I came across a new one offered for sale locally on eBay at a very competitive price. I couldn't buy it quick enough, especially when the seller (id Rozmenko - no association but he deserves a plug anyway) quickly agreed to replace the advertised medium nib with an EF.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11305&stc=1

I have owned a black resin Aurora Optima for some time, which I have been very pleased with, and I'm delighted to be able to park this 88 next to the Optima. Here's a few photos, including one alongside a Pelikan M400 to give some perspective as to the overall size of the 88.

Bogon07
May 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM
A very elegant and sophisticated looking pen. There is something rather pleasing about the fluting on the chrome cap.
Great photos as usual. You don't appear to have inked it yet .... and particular colour in mind & will there be a writing sample?

Murfie
May 6th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Any particular colour ink in mind & will there be a writing sample?
Um, not sure yet and maybe. Gee, I can be helpful, can't I? :)

Laura N
May 7th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Oooh, Murfie, please give us a report on the EF nib. That's one I haven't tried yet on the Optima, and I don't read much about it either.

Murfie
May 7th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Any particular colour in mind & will there be a writing sample?
OK, you win. Diamine Chocolate Brown. Sample down below. Happy now? :)

Oooh, Murfie, please give us a report on the EF nib. That's one I haven't tried yet on the Optima, and I don't read much about it either.
Hi Laura, I've included a sample of my shaking hand below. In width the line produced by this nib is very similar to the F/M nib in one of my Sailor Pro Gears. So I would describe it as a "thickish European EF". Suits me just perfectly. In feel, Aurora nibs always seem to come with a goodly amount of tooth and I had to give this one a slight rub on the micromesh to give it the feel that I wanted. I didn't remove the tooth, just backed it off a little. I've had a couple of drier inks in it and found that it was much better with something a little on the wet side, such as the Chocolate Brown I've settled on. Overall I am very pleased with the pen and will probably do some swaps with the compatible factory stub in my Optima.

Bogon07
May 7th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks for relenting and doing a sample - see it wasn't so bad after all was it. :)
Your writing does not seem very shaky to me.

It appears a very generous EF. Similar to a Visconti Palladium EF with a bit of pressure.

Diamine Chocolate Brown is a nice very dark brown ink like club chocolate. Now that was stupid, I'm gonna feel hungry with a chocolate craving all afternoon now.

kaisnowbird
May 8th, 2014, 08:12 AM
A true classic. Many congratulations Murfie.

I particularly like the curve of the clip (so elegant), the large ink window and the shape of that nib.

Runnin_Ute
May 19th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Such a gorgeous pen, Murfie. Enjoy it in good health. :)

mtnbiker62
May 19th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Wow...just wow!

Murfie
May 19th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Such a gorgeous pen, Murfie.

Wow...just wow!
Thanks, guys. I'm a great fan of most Italian pens and have quite a few Visconti and Deltae, but the Aurora 88 is the flagship as far as I'm concerned - having an understated but classy design which in the hand feels even better than it looks. I think the black and chrome cap combination is the best, but that is of course, very subjective. This is one pen that will never be out of the inked roster.

migo984
May 19th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I'd love to try one like that. Black + chrome is my favourite combination too.

Murfie
May 19th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I'd love to try one like that.
Your wish may well come true one day and you will not be disappointed. :wink:

earthdawn
May 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Beautiful pen with stunning lines.

Congrats...