PDA

View Full Version : The Chatbox - we'd like your feedback on it.

dannzeman
May 31st, 2012, 09:55 PM
In case you weren't aware, we have an instant messaging style chatbox at the homepage of the forum (http://fpgeeks.com/forum) and we'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Do you like it? Do you use it? Is it in the way? Do you know of a better chatbox for vBulletin?

So let us know.

John the Monkey
June 1st, 2012, 02:33 AM
I don't use it, but the fact that it rolls up out of the way means I don't mind it, personally.

kps
June 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Since I always enter via 'New Posts', I'll never see it. This is not a bad thing.

jotterius
June 1st, 2012, 08:30 AM
Well, I like it

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Since I always enter via 'New Posts', I'll never see it. This is not a bad thing.

Yeah, that's why I did not see it initially but I have used the chat feature when available. I did notice it early on but no one was ever on until it got moved to the top.

tytoalba
June 1st, 2012, 09:22 AM
I'm just learning how this board works. Haven't yet tried the chat box. Is it similar to ustream where is scrolls, and disappears?
My only concern with any of this technology is how secure we are.

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'm just learning how this board works. Haven't yet tried the chat box. Is it similar to ustream where is scrolls, and disappears?
My only concern with any of this technology is how secure we are.

That is correct, it scrolls. If you are worried about security, don't put any information in your profile/posts you don't want to be known. Assume everything is public and you should be safe.

fountainpenkid
June 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM
it is very cool!

melissa59
June 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
When I first saw the chat box, yesterday my first thought was that it was in the way. Then, I realized there was a button, where I could roll it up so it would not be distracting.

I think it's a nifty feature for those who like to meet and chat, but I probably won't use it unless there's a special discussion I'd like to sit in on, kind of like the chat attached to the podcasts.

On the downside...

A few minutes ago, I saw that someone had mentioned a pen cleaner. I tried to scroll back to read the discussion and I couldn't get the lines to stay in place for more than a split second. It kept bouncing forward to the new stuff, making it difficult to read. If there is a super chatty discussion, some of us might not read fast enough to read everything.

My biggest concern would be that wonderful information would go on the chat and not on the forum, where it can "stick" for others to read at a later time or date.

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
When I first saw the chat box, yesterday my first thought was that it was in the way. Then, I realized there was a button, where I could roll it up so it would not be distracting.

I think it's a nifty feature for those who like to meet and chat, but I probably won't use it unless there's a special discussion I'd like to sit in on, kind of like the chat attached to the podcasts.

On the downside...

A few minutes ago, I saw that someone had mentioned a pen cleaner. I tried to scroll back to read the discussion and I couldn't get the lines to stay in place for more than a split second. It kept bouncing forward to the new stuff, making it difficult to read. If there is a super chatty discussion, some of us might not read fast enough to read everything.

My biggest concern would be that wonderful information would go on the chat and not on the forum, where it can "stick" for others to read at a later time or date.

I noticed the scroll back issue. It is a bit annoying. Does it for me in both IE and Chromium.

Jon Szanto
June 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
If a couple people like it, might as well leave it. I'm on at least a dozen forums that have chatboxes, and I never use it. On some forums it gets a lot of use, others the stream dries up. The main thing is that if it takes no maintenance whatsoever, there's no harm to have it for the folks that use it.

Sailor Kenshin
June 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Wait, where is it again?

dannzeman
June 1st, 2012, 04:51 PM
On the downside...

I noticed the scroll back issue. It is a bit annoying. Does it for me in both IE and Chromium.
The scrolling issue is due to the chat auto-refreshing. It does keep all the chats for 24 hours (which can be changed if y'all like it extended). To get to the archived chats click on "Chatbox" in the upper left and select "View Chatbox Archive".

Hope that helps. Thanks for the feedback.

dannzeman
June 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Wait, where is it again?
Head to the home page of the forum: fpgeeks.com/forum (http://fpgeeks.com/forum) and the chatbox will be at the top right under the menu bar.

writingrav
June 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM
I too would feel bad if information ends up there instead of on the forums.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tytoalba
June 1st, 2012, 06:15 PM
Chat feature using archive is good.
Thanks for the helpful guidance Dan.
writingrav has a point though, solid pen info ought to be carried over to forum thread.

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Now it is doing it backwards. It is refreshing and scrolling to the older post and you cant see the newest post.

KrazyIvan
June 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
Now it is doing it backwards. It is refreshing and scrolling to the older post and you cant see the newest post.

Okay, I changed the text size to 12 pt. and it stabilized it a bit. It does not scroll up or down now but just blinks on refresh.

Manny
June 2nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/fpgeeks/photobucket-27964-1338655611493.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
June 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
Okay, I changed the text size to 12 pt. and it stabilized it a bit. It does not scroll up or down now but just blinks on refresh.

Now that I've tried it, I like it.

But why do I keep getting 'booted' off the forum? (logged out, even when I stay logged in) It's a recent occurrence.

Trillium
June 3rd, 2012, 08:29 PM
I am glad to see the chatbox. In my opinion it allows for a more personal interaction with other forum members. IMHO, information lost in chat is usually of a "timely" nature and centers around current events. Also, chat boxes or chatrooms ,can spur facetiousness and perhaps not everything mentioned in chat is of a nature that we, collectively, would want to hang around in perpetuity.

Trillium
June 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM
zzOne thing that might make the chatbox a little more user friendly would be a list of members currently logged in to it. So you would know if anyone was really there or simply their archive ghosts from an hour ago.....

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
If you look at the bottom of the front forum page it lists active members that are online. I don't know how often it refreshes.

dannzeman
June 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM
zzOne thing that might make the chatbox a little more user friendly would be a list of members currently logged in to it. So you would know if anyone was really there or simply their archive ghosts from an hour ago.....
That would be a cool feature. Unfortunately, I have no control over that. I may start looking into alternative chatboxes to see if there's a better one out there.

peterpen53
June 7th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I've never been into chatting, so it does not work for me. But if there are enough users who like it, fine, it's not in the way.

fountainpenkid
June 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM
i think its best use is for the pre podcast chats..... before u stream is up. It also is kinda like a fountain pen facebook wall. i will certainly keep using it!

Maja
June 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I don't really use chats very much because I spend way too much time on them when I do use them.... and I never know when to just "hang up" without seeming rude, LOL, but keep the Chat for others to use; it doesn't bother me at all and enhances the site :)

rapid_butterfly
June 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
i figured the scrollback was due to autorefresh, but is that the last word? it's really kind of jarring to the point where i find it hard to view. otherwise, i think it is a neat feature, something a little different, something conducive potentially to community building....

KrazyIvan
June 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have seen the chatbox on other sites that does not scroll like that and refreshes smoothly. I think it may be a browser thing but not sure since now it's is sometimes refreshing smoothly, sometimes not on whatever browser I use.

Sailor Kenshin
June 9th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I have seen the chatbox on other sites that does not scroll like that and refreshes smoothly. I think it may be a browser thing but not sure since now it's is sometimes refreshing smoothly, sometimes not on whatever browser I use.

Now that I tested it for a whole two seconds, I like it.