PDA

View Full Version : Which Monteblanc Writers Series ...

melissa59
May 31st, 2012, 10:45 PM
I was reading about the Monteblanc's Hitchcock pen in another thread, which prompted my question.
If available and money were no object, which Monteblanc Writers Series pen would you choose, and why?

Personally, I think the Hitchcock pen is the most stunning of the series. The "Vertigo" lines are gorgeous and the "Psycho" knife clip was brilliant! I can easily see this becoming a favorite of collectors for several reasons. As I mentioned, its design is beautiful. Also, people will long remember Hitchcock, even those who do not read for pleasure. I think it will be in high demand long after I'm gone from this earth.

The second runner up would either be the Collodi, with the fine detailing on the cap and the Pinnochio nose body, or the Poe, which is both beautiful and simple.

I was thoroughly disappointed is the Dickens model. It was just ... blah. Monteblanc could have done so much more with that one.

Melissa

writingrav
June 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Having just visited a, Montblanc boutique I must say I was very taken with the Brahms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gwgtaylor
June 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
Agatha Christie hands down. It just looks so badass. It was the first pen that made me lust after pens. Saw an advert for it in GQ back in the 90s and fell in love with it. (was in highschool at the time) I guess this is my grail pen. One day....

peterpen53
June 1st, 2012, 12:46 AM
Since I like big pens the Hemingway would be an obvious favourite, but that is not realistic at the moment. Leaving that one aside, my personal choice would be:
- Dumas, for its similarity to the Hemi
- Thomas Mann
- Shaw, amazingly heavy but well balanced pen and very beautiful,
- Poe, beautiful resin and the cues they took from the author are very good. Good writer.
- Faulkner. For the brown resin they used. Goes very all with Visconti Sepia.

melissa59
June 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
I thought the Agatha Christie pen was a wonderful design -- but not for me.
I have a MAJOR snake phobia!
I get freaked out by snakes that are: live, dead, behind glass, in photos, made of rubber, made of wood, and yes, even on pens and nibs! LOL

Peterpen53 ...
You used phrases such as "amazingly heavy but well balanced" and "Good writer". That means you've not only seen these pens in photos, but you got a chance to TOUCH them! Lucky you!

peterpen53
June 2nd, 2012, 09:31 AM
I thought the Agatha Christie pen was a wonderful design -- but not for me.
I have a MAJOR snake phobia!
I get freaked out by snakes that are: live, dead, behind glass, in photos, made of rubber, made of wood, and yes, even on pens and nibs! LOL

Peterpen53 ...
You used phrases such as "amazingly heavy but well balanced" and "Good writer". That means you've not only seen these pens in photos, but you got a chance to TOUCH them! Lucky you!

I'm even luckier. I have owned the Poe for about 7 years now and through some lucky coincidence I was able to get Faulkner, Shaw and Mann earlier this year, thankfully before they are getting really scarce. Thomas Mann is currently in Hamburg for a nib exchange. Can't wait for it to get back!
I was even so lucky to see a Hemi three times in real life. Once it was not for sale, and the others were already a bit too steep for me. But I can always dream...

melissa59
June 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'm even luckier. I have owned the Poe for about 7 years now and through some lucky coincidence I was able to get Faulkner, Shaw and Mann earlier this year, thankfully before they are getting really scarce.

How wonderful! You are indeed lucky!! What beautiful, beautiful pens they are!!!

melissa59
June 2nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm even luckier. I have owned the Poe for about 7 years now and through some lucky coincidence I was able to get Faulkner, Shaw and Mann earlier this year, thankfully before they are getting really scarce.

How wonderful! You are indeed lucky!! What beautiful, beautiful pens they are!!!

peterpen53
June 3rd, 2012, 05:09 PM

Yes, they are very beautiful indeed. But I need to step on the brakes now for a little while. Even those beautiful pens I don't want to have just lying in their boxes. They need to be used regularly. Should be careful not to get too many to use...

NeelsK
December 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Well, I might be jumping in a bit late but here goes. 1st off, the Hitchcock is not a writers edition, but we'll let that one slide. Yes, it is heavy. But we'll balanced. However, be amuse of the weight I don't use it for long writing sessions. The Hemingway is is a very nice pen except for one problem, a very pronounced ridge on the grip that starts irritating my finger after about 20 minutes. The Christie is great to write with, and surely gets people looking when peeking out of a pocket. I should really start inking up the rest of my WEs again to give a proper opinion on them.

fountainpenkid
December 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
The smallest and lightest piston filler :)