PDA

View Full Version : Davis Leatherworks

Lady Onogaro
May 10th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know if Chris Davis is still in business selling his leather covers for field notes notebooks? (I sincerely hope so.) I put in an order and asked a question, but I have received no response (it's been since Thursday, so perhaps I am being overly concerned).

earthdawn
May 10th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I spoke with him about a cover about a year ago and lost contact after about 2 emails.

I have heard from others who have bought from him but not very recent. I have not seen anything bad about him ever and just praise over his beautiful covers.

Hope you hear from him and he is still making them.

KrazyIvan
May 11th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I still see his twitter account active and he posts clearance deals from time to time.

bertcarson
May 11th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I never heard of him until I read your post. I found his site, sent an email about a custom business card case, and noticed his bogs are pretty current - 2 weeks back, that's current for me anyway. Thanks for putting me on to him.

Lady Onogaro
May 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I am hoping he can make one of the Midori Traveller's-style notebook cover in the larger size. Brad Dowdy (The Pen Addict) has one from him, and I would like one, too, if he still makes them.

bertcarson
May 12th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I have an old business card case that I love that, thanks to constant use for more years than I can count, is really ratty. I want him to duplicate it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Rita_K
May 12th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Chris Davis is definitely still in business.
I think he was out of town last week so he might be a little behind in his correspondence.
A real nice guy and a pleasure to do business with (no affiliation ).

Lady Onogaro
May 15th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I do think that if a vendor says that he or she will return your email within 24 hours, the vendor should do that or post something that explains why he or she is not responding to emails. I emailed him on May 8. It's May 15. That's more than 24 hours. I'm just saying that it doesn't create a feeling of confidence in the vendor. I have bought something (which I have not received) and wanted to buy something else, but you can see I would have my reservations.

bertcarson
May 16th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I emailed Chris when you started the thread and I've had the same results - no response. A few weeks ago I bought a Gfeller case through Seven Seas. Later I bought leather dressing direct from Gfeller. Their customer service is impeccable and the case is outstanding. Here's a link: http://www.gfeller.us/index.html

jde
May 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM
He's really slow. Purposefully, it would seem. You'll get your order.

When you hear from him he will probably point out that normal lead time is 3-4 weeks. Doesn't matter if it's supposedly in stock, from what I experienced. Personally, not a fan unlike so many others who are fans of his work.

Rita_K
May 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM
My comment was based on a few orders I had placed with Chris about 2 years ago.
He was prompt with his replies and even went out of his way to get a notebook cover
to me before I left for vacation.
I'm really sorry to hear how much things have changed since then.

Lady Onogaro
May 16th, 2014, 05:21 PM
So I went to his Facebook page a few days ago. I asked about the larger notebook cover. He responded, suggesting an embossed leather and quoting a price. I replied, saying I loved it and asking if he was going to send me a paypal invoice. I also gave him my email address. No replies to that, and no communication from him since. I don't understand it.

KrazyIvan
May 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM
There must be a logical reason he is not replying. I would suggest moving on if you are not getting results you want. There are plenty of leather workers on Etsy. OneStarLeather comes to mind along with One Man Made.