PDA

View Full Version : Declaration of love to De Atramentis

Morbus Curiositas
May 11th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Hello FP-Lovers,

For about a year now I have revived my love for fountain pens. After learning to write in a Dutch primary school with a Pelikan pen Iˋve also used a fountain pen during my time in the school for Nurses in Innsbruck (I´m a 41 years old Dutchman who followed his love and changed his job in Austria. I have been a registered nurse for 1,5 Years now)The nursing part is of some interest because it, sort of brought me in contact with De Atramentis Inks.

As I was one day filling out a report with a Doctor, the doctor mentioned that it is forbidden to write with fountain pens because the ink could be erased. I was pretty depressed after hearing that but then I started thinking. If the notary and even presidents write with fountain pens there should be sunshine behind the clouds of my depression-

But then..

.I disovered De Atramentis Dokument Tinte (Dokument Ink) in the Internet and immediately telephoned the owner, Dr. Franz-Josef Jansen from Hachenberg in Germany. Dr Jansen is an Inkophile who took a lot of time explaining the do and don´ts of ink and fountain pens. I bought 2 bottles of Dokument Ink with which I am very satisfied with because it is smooth and unerasable.:)

I was so happy being able to write with fountain pens at word that I posted a nice comment under a review of De Atramentis Document Ink on the Inkcyclopedia website. Here is a link if you are interested in reading it:
www.fpgeeks.com/inkcyclopedia/inkcyclopedia-de-atramentis-document-blue

I was in my hometown Breda in Holland for visiting family and friends when I brought Parker Premier to repair to the Fountain Pens shop "tschrijfgereitje" (the little writng tool). I talked to the shopkeeper about the inks and he was very interested.

Before I went there, I talked to Dr Jansen and told him what I was going to do (I needed a colour chart) He was very enthusiasted as always(especially after he read my words under the ink review) and he sent me two bottle of ink to thank me. :)

I now have four De Atramentis Inks:Document BlueDocument Dark Blue, Khaki, Jane Austen Green.I showed these inks to the shopkeeper in Breda who liked them so much that he told me that he would order these inks for his shop...Of course I will do a review on these inks as soon as possible.

On the website "dietintenmanufaktur.de" are very interesting articles on the history of Ink dating back to ink manufactoring in the middle ages. Unfortunately these articles are in German but I will translate them over a period of time.

As you may have noticed I am very enthousiastic with my Inks. I will buy more fountain pens and inks in the future.
Maybe not ALL inks will be De Atramentis but believe me there are a lot of Dr. Jansen's inksto follow ;-):-)

I hope this article was worth reading. I like sharing my enthousiasm and thought this was a nice way of thanking Dr. Jansen for the free bottles of ink. (Just a warning I am in no way afilliated with De Atrmamentis I just love there inks... and er Dr Jansen is not my grand dad haha :-)

My next article will be on hte history and etymology of the latin words De Atramentis

Kindest regards,

Peter Vlutters
Attached Images

Waski_the_Squirrel
May 11th, 2014, 09:48 AM
This is how a company gets loyal customers. Sadly, my German is too basic to read the articles you linked, but I am very interested if you do translate them. From what little I've gleaned here and there, this is a company started by an individual with passion for what he does. I'm always fascinated by people like that, no matter what language they speak.

While De Atramentis isn't my favorite brand (Noodler's has that title, another company started by a passionate individual), I do find the De Atramentis inks fascinating. For example, no other company has such a selection of scented inks. I can't imagine a very wide market for that, but it is interesting that the company is trying something unique.

I've used samples of the ink and I like that they are rich colors, and I appreciate the selection. The ink is a little pricier than my preferred brand, but not unreasonable. Over the next few years I expect to add a few bottles of this brand to my selection of bottles.

One thing that does strike me: this brand is available in the US, but I just don't hear much about it. I'm a little curious why that is.

ETA: I noticed that my preferred ink supplier has a wide range of De Atramentis inks, but does not have the document inks you mentioned. Too bad. I am interested to try a sample.

Silverbreeze
May 11th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Americans suffer under the curse of horrid paper. On the other hand we have our own mad scientist of ink. If Nathan says an ink is bullet poof, in my experience the ink out lasts the laser toner on the form.

Morbus Curiositas
May 12th, 2014, 05:56 AM
This is how a company gets loyal customers. Sadly, my German is too basic to read the articles you linked, but I am very interested if you do translate them. From what little I've gleaned here and there, this is a company started by an individual with passion for what he does. I'm always fascinated by people like that, no matter what language they speak.

While De Atramentis isn't my favorite brand (Noodler's has that title, another company started by a passionate individual), I do find the De Atramentis inks fascinating. For example, no other company has such a selection of scented inks. I can't imagine a very wide market for that, but it is interesting that the company is trying something unique.

I've used samples of the ink and I like that they are rich colors, and I appreciate the selection. The ink is a little pricier than my preferred brand, but not unreasonable. Over the next few years I expect to add a few bottles of this brand to my selection of bottles.

One thing that does strike me: this brand is available in the US, but I just don't hear much about it. I'm a little curious why that is.

ETA: I noticed that my preferred ink supplier has a wide range of De Atramentis inks, but does not have the document inks you mentioned. Too bad. I am interested to try a sample.

Hi Waski...

Unfortunately you do not hear much about it.... It is a sleeping Beauty :lazy2:

You mentioned that your favourite ink supllier carries De Atramentis but not the Documents inks....

Will that be Goulet maybe....

I know of the roblem of not carrying the documetn inks... I am working on that as I am in frequent contact with Dr Jansen. I am a Dutchman but speak German too.

I will soon post 2 reviews of D A document ink. It is available int the following colours

Blue
Dark Blue (blue black)
Black
Magnenta
Turquoise

Dr Jansen told me that a green Document ink is being developed now and will be on the market in a few weeks...

The best thing it is not only bullet proof... It can withstand full blown BOMB RAIDS... you will see that in the review

Also the the Jane Austen Green and the Khaki are very beautiful and have lovely shading...

You mentioned scented inks. D A has a lot of those and developing new ones all the time... Some are peculiar like Bookworm). This has the smell of books in an old library (must have that as a read addict)

He also make wine inks like, Pintot Noir. He has a full range of those. The best thing is you can send him your favourite bottle of wine and he will make Ink out of it. Even the ink label copies the wine label... Cool or what???

On the history part.

I have translated two which I will publish soon. I am working on the 3rd part now (Ink history middle ages) You will soon see about it, i will let you know...

At the botom of this message I have inserted a photo(link) of a painting with De Atramentis inks, Khaki,Havanna and Gold... Which shows to what sheer beaty this ink is capable of...

Kind regards,,

Peter

http://www.google.nl/search?q=painting+with+de+atramentis&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=raZrU-zIMcXOygOLy4LoAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=800&bih=1280#facrc=_&imgrc=PmuVZ-EZPj51KM%253A%3BEhxSJ-PHYvfACM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pictogramax.com% 252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F06%252FPICTOGRAMA X-2013-06-03-SKADAR.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pictogramax.co m%252F2013%252F06%252F04%252Fesquisse-de-jour-031%252F%3B600%3B900

Al_S
May 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I'm relatively new to fountain pens, but just fell in love with his ink through a recent sample of De Atramentis Indigo Blue. When I set out to buy my first pen, I initially thought I'd stick to black ink--it was generally all I used with rollerballs & such--you can never go wrong with black, or so I thought. This wrong-thinking on my part was quickly brought to an end when I saw the blue ink splotch on Goulet's site. Before I knew it, the quest for the perfect blue had captured my heart. Sacre' Bleu! as such, I ordered my pen with a bottle of Noodler's Blue-Black, thinking I'd dip my toes in the blue pool without getting too committed. Noodler's Blue-black was ok, but a far cry from the beauty of that ink splotch, so about a week later came a bottle of Liberty's Elysium. While Liberty's Elysium is a great ink, and a beautiful color, my ideal blue would be something darker. Not dull, like a blue black, but something that could catch the depth of a dark blue, yet possibly also show a bit of shading. Unfortunately, as many of you are aware, most blues have little to no shading properties. Anyway, I tired a couple more blues to little or no avail. They were nice, but they didn't have the depth of color I was looking for. Then, last week, my sample of De Atramentis Indigo Blue arrived. The swatch on Goulet's site http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/photos/DA1034-2.jpg looked almost exactly like what I was lo0oking for. I loaded the sample up in a Noodler's Ahab that also arrived with the shipment (after trying the pen on a familiar ink) and it seems I might have hit pay dirt. The color is a deep, rich blue, rather than a dull-bluish-greenish-black. With the flex of the Ahab, it does seem possible to achieve some shading, though I'm anxious to try it with other pens. I haven't used the ink too much yet, but the only complaint I can find at the moment is it takes awhile to dry.

Provided this ink can hold up, I may have just found a new favorite!

Wile E Coyote
May 12th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Peter,

In the thread Re: Iron Gall Ink and Delta Serena Nib Mess; What do you mean when you state that the ink is "based on nano technology?"

Morbus Curiositas
May 15th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Peter,

In the thread Re: Iron Gall Ink and Delta Serena Nib Mess; What do you mean when you state that the ink is "based on nano technology?"

Sory fornwering a bit late... I haven been quite busy

There are basically 2 ways to achieve Permanency.

Iron Gall and Soot. They both can damage your Pen (clogging and IG eating the nib away)

Nano Tech uses microscopically small pigments (nano) the result permanency wihtout using Iron Gall and without clogging the feed of your pen:)

I have just posted an article on permanent inks " On Permanent ink, Permanency and safety). This article will answer many of your questions. If you have anymore questions please ask

I made it easy for you to find this article... just follow the link down below:)

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7042-On-Permanent-Ink-permanency-and-safety

Warmest Regards

Peter