PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide whether to get the meisterstück or the starwalker...

InkyThoughts12
May 12th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Ok so I can't decide whether I should go for the meisterstück or starwalker,
Both look amazing.
this will be my first montblanc fountain pen.
Can you guys tell merge price of each model? Please.

How much is the meisterstück?
&
How much is the starwalker?

RuiFromUK
May 12th, 2014, 08:51 AM
If you are looking for a brand new pen MontBlanc is online and you can obtain the prices directly from them depending where you live. They also provide the details of their boutiques.

They are both beautiful pens as far as I am concerned but there are different models for each of these ranges.

Wile E Coyote
May 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Rui is correct, there are many variants of each model. In the US the Meisterstücks list price ranges from $500-1830 and the Starwalkers $485-1265.

They're both very different pens. If at all possible, you should visit a boutique or find a local pen club to see and handle them in person.

GING GING
August 7th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I think you can find a better price on a Starwalker . I think you can actually find one from MB for around 460.00

johnus
August 8th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Experience based: my feeling is that if it's your first go for the original. Buy the meisterstück.

(May be a reason behind it being called "the Masterpiece".)

Bling72
August 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM
You need to pick up both pens and test them, write with them. You will have to ask lots of questions at the Mont Blanc boutique, but let the staff earn their money.

You need all the information that you can get. Hop onto youtube and watch as many reviews as possible. There are videos that this dude with an English accent uploads on youtube.

I received a lot of invalable perception from him. Either the Meisterstuck or the Starwalker will grab you, it all depends on whether you want a fountain pen or rollerball.

I wouldn't recommend a ball point as they are too common. If you're going to pay that kind of money, do it properly and with a rollerball or fountain pen.

The fountain pens are the most expensive of the three types. The meisterstucks are the main ones that take fountain pen ink. The starwalker fountain pen takes cartridge ink only.

There is a nostalgia and romance of dipping a nice pen into a fountain ink well. If your penmanship is nice, or aspiring to be, sooner or later you will get a fountain pen.

Take your sweet time testing both and if you see other models in the Mont Blanc boutique, nothing wrong with testing them too. You may even prefer a different one.

It is all about what grabs you. When it does you will know. I have both and for the fountain pen I really enjoy using the fountain pen inks, Mont Blanc does really nice ones.

Take a look at my reviews of the inks I tested. For the rollerball, I have the starwalker. Both of my pens are red gold, love the colour.

Chrissy
August 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I would go for the Meisterstuck. If you like a bigger pen I would chose the 146 which is a piston filler (doesn't take cartridges). Alternatively there is a smaller version called the Classique that is a cartridge or converter pen

Mags
August 15th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I would recommend the Meisterstuck 146 so you have a piston filler pen that's a classic in the black. There is a demand in the after sale market for these pens. All my Meisterstucks are work horse pens and they just work every time with no fuss and no issues.

mmahany
August 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I would recommend the Meisterstuck 146 so you have a cartridge pen that's a classic in the black. There is a demand in the after sale market for these pens. All my Meisterstucks are work horse pens and they just work every time with no fuss and no issues.
Probably just a brain fart, but as mentioned, the 146 utilizes a piston mechansim rather than a cartridge/converter.

I would go for the Meisterstuck. If you like a bigger pen I would chose the 146 which is a piston filler (doesn't take cartridges). Alternatively there is a smaller version called the Classique that is a cartridge or converter pen

To supplement, the 147 (often neglected) is a great compromise between the 144/145 and the 146. It is the same physical size as the 146, but uses cartridges rather than a piston mechanism. Of note: the 147 is designed in a way that does not accept ink converters. However, the pen is designed in a way that it can hold an extra cartridge (internally) to be used as a back-up. In addition, the leather case provided with the 147 can hold an extra 6 cartridges.

Owning/having owned every model in the Meisterstuck line, I can say that my 147 is my most versatile pen.

Mags
August 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Yup, brain fart. It's corrected now.

orfew
August 15th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Probably just a brain fart, but as mentioned, the 146 utilizes a piston mechansim rather than a cartridge/converter.

To supplement, the 147 (often neglected) is a great compromise between the 144/145 and the 146. It is the same physical size as the 146, but uses cartridges rather than a piston mechanism. Of note: the 147 is designed in a way that does not accept ink converters. However, the pen is designed in a way that it can hold an extra cartridge (internally) to be used as a back-up. In addition, the leather case provided with the 147 can hold an extra 6 cartridges.

Owning/having owned every model in the Meisterstuck line, I can say that my 147 is my most versatile pen.

I agree. My 147 is constantly with me at work. With the extra storage, I never run out of ink. The 147 does not get a lot of attention but it is a worthy pen.

Accunlmtd
November 28th, 2014, 01:15 PM
On the Starwalker, while it is true that it does not come with a converter, the converter for the Porsche design pens (Fiber Castile) works perfectly.

opticalserenity
January 8th, 2015, 02:58 AM
On the Starwalker, while it is true that it does not come with a converter, the converter for the Porsche design pens (Fiber Castile) works perfectly.

Interesting, good to know.

Personally I would still go with the Meisterstück piston fillers. You really cannot go wrong with the 149. It's absolutely a must have.

igor61
January 13th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Definitely the Meistestück, 149 146 or 144. They are better pens

mmahany
January 13th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Definitely the Meistestück, 149 146 or 144. They are better pens

The 144 is debatable. While I'm a big fan of the solitaire version (metal barrel), the "precious resin" and "solitaire doue" models are pretty pathetic looking/feeling. They also have their fair share of issues when not meticulously maintained.

welch
January 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Try them. My 146 is one of the nicest pens...one of the few I'll use as a break from Parker 51s.

mhosea
January 13th, 2015, 04:29 PM
My 146 is among my favorite pens. The 149's are nice, too, but a little large. I have the same reaction to the Pelikan M800 and M1000 difference (I like the M800 better). The Starwalker is a nice-looking pen, to be sure. The thing that gives me pause is that it is so heavily cloned. The 146 and 149, with their piston filling mechanisms, do not seem to suffer from that. Also, while the variant(s) of the Starwalker with a knurled metal section might suit me, smooth metal sections are not my favorite thing.

rgperedo
January 13th, 2015, 09:32 PM
I own a 146 and it is one of my favorite, if not my most favorite pen. I was convinced I would purchase one after I visited a Montblanc boutique and tried a few pens out. The 149 was a little too big for me and the 146 perfect. I think 144's are nice as well, but I have to agree with most, it's quite small.

Best advice (like most other have given already) is go handle them in person, go to a boutique or a pen club meeting. It isn't a cheap pen so handle them before you buy them so you aren't getting something you don't want.

tandaina
January 13th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I'd go for the 146.149 is too big for me, 146 us divine. I greatly prefer the piston filling Montblanc, their finish quality and feel is just superior!

A good quality 146 from the 80s or 90s can be had for around $250 as well, making it far more financially available!