PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Sei Boku Nano Pigment Blue Black

bleunuitguy
May 12th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I always have this in one of my pens.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cwzfrITupIE/U3Eh4nZ4UsI/AAAAAAAAA0U/kkGiCg8mVZk/s800/Sei%2520Boku.jpg

Lady Onogaro
May 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I am surprised that it is called a Blue-Black. It looks much more like a dark teal color to me. But it is pretty.

mhosea
May 12th, 2014, 04:18 PM
This ink is one of my favorites. It is variable in color depending on the wetness of the pen and the type of paper. It actually is blue-black sometimes, e.g. with a wet pen on paper like Rhodia and tomoe River. Other times it is the green-leaning blue that is seen above.

Robert
May 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I am surprised that it is called a Blue-Black. It looks much more like a dark teal color to me. But it is pretty.

I agree. To my eye it looks similar to Private Reserve Ebony Blue, which leans towards teal.

jacksterp
May 12th, 2014, 05:43 PM
That's a good lookin' ink to my eyes! Have you had any trouble flushing and cleaning a pen with this ink?

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

reprieve
May 12th, 2014, 07:37 PM
This ink lives in my TWSBI Mini. It's a gorgeous teal with lots of shading and sheen. On some papers, like mhosea said, it is a darker, truer blue-black. I love it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with start-up or clogging or skipping. It flushes out relatively fast. I also really like Platinum Carbon Blue, but I've recently come to prefer Sailor Sei Boku Blue-black.

Woody
May 12th, 2014, 09:35 PM
It's a great ink. It really is. Used to get it at Goulet but I think I'll get another vendor. I replaced it with Noodlers navy, but the Sailor is well behaved. Thanks for the review.

bleunuitguy
May 13th, 2014, 04:52 AM

Like others have said, this ink's color is reliant upon the pen and paper. On good paper with a wet nib, it is a darker blue with black shading. You can also get a red sheen from the ink as well, but with said wet nib and good paper. On glossy card stock, it is amazing!

I used to be frustrated with the color and how it would appear differently on various papers. Now that I've embraced that as a part of the ink, I really enjoy it.

This is on cheap copy paper, like what many of us have in our offices. It tends to have a matte look on this kind of paper. I often see reviews for this ink on great paper, but not the junk we normally run into at work. I thought I'd review on what we typically write on at work. I'll post some writing of good paper today sometime so you can see the difference. :)

bleunuitguy
May 13th, 2014, 04:57 AM
That's a good lookin' ink to my eyes! Have you had any trouble flushing and cleaning a pen with this ink?

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I have not. It cleans out fairly quickly and thoroughly. It can leave a blue pigment stain on the underside of the nib in the nib's wings, but that rubs off extremely easily with your finger. I think it is well behaved for an ink with this permanence. I do put it in a pen where the nib and feed can be pulled apart for cleaning, but I think I'm being a bit overzealous there.

mhosea
May 13th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I used to be frustrated with the color and how it would appear differently on various papers. Now that I've embraced that as a part of the ink, I really enjoy it.

Don't tell anybody, but that is the secret for enjoying many complex things. People, too.

bleunuitguy
May 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I quickly wrote this out - excuse the mistakes. It is on a really nice Boise HD:P paper 90gm. At least on the page, it shows the shading well. There is also a nice bit of sheen on this page too.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L2yBY2z_FJY/U3Eh4lXw-oI/AAAAAAAAA0Y/mb5Q2NKFfF8/s800/Sei%2520Boku_2.jpg

bleunuitguy
May 13th, 2014, 09:43 AM

Don't tell anybody, but that is the secret for enjoying many complex things. People, too.

All too true. Thanks!

Silverbreeze
May 14th, 2014, 08:37 AM
That seems to be the secret of enjoying many pigmented inks. Some inks even need the special care of distilled water to be everyday use inks. Like one of my favorite colors Kung Te-Cheng... And even deluded it can be tempermental