PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Toffee Brown

bleunuitguy
May 12th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Another favorite of mine - especially when writing letters on a cream-colored paper.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A3p8eTs1jPc/U3Eh7FjaysI/AAAAAAAAA0w/XsjLoXQMwCc/s800/toffeebrown.jpg

Lady Onogaro
May 12th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I think I like this color the best of the reviews you have posted.

orfew
May 12th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I am a big fan of Toffee Brown. I am currently using it in 2 pens. Thanks for the sample.

Adhizen
May 12th, 2014, 08:25 PM
It's one of my favorites... Thanks for the review :)

lsmith42
May 12th, 2014, 11:36 PM
It is also high on the Bobo shading scale... I think it scored 4 out of a possible 5 Bobos.

KrazyIvan
May 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
It is my favorite brown ink.

Tracy Lee
May 16th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Hmm, I did get a sample, it is clearly time to get it into a pen!!

bleunuitguy
May 16th, 2014, 06:38 AM
I was just re-reading my review and discovered a grammar error in the second line of the writing sample. Excuse my use of "too" when it should have been "to". :redface::tsk:

ArchiMark
May 28th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Nice looking brown ink, has some character to it....

Thanks for sharing this.....

dneal
May 29th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Nice review. Toffee Brown is one of two "go-to" browns. GvFC Hazelnut Brown is the other.

jokeruk
May 29th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Very nice that - brown isn't really something I've ever really thought of until recently. Its even coming back as a colour on cars which look surprisingly good (last one I saw was a vw passat)

Leigh

Toulouse
May 29th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Toffee is my favorite brown. I only wish Mont Blanc inks were available from more retailers.

LagNut
May 30th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Very nice review, I have a sample of this that hasn't seen a pen yet, but soon will. Especially enjoyed the Latin.

Mike

bleunuitguy
May 31st, 2014, 10:45 AM
Very nice review, I have a sample of this that hasn't seen a pen yet, but soon will. Especially enjoyed the Latin.

Mike

Thanks! Latin is a beautiful language. Ambrose was the focus of my doctoral dissertation and this is my favorite quote from him.

LagNut
June 4th, 2014, 06:50 AM
So you read this in the original Latin? I am intrigued with what I found googling the phrase. Enjoyable reading on its own, but now I want to read more of Ambrose. If you can suggest a translation, I would appreciate it.

Thanks much,
Mike

bleunuitguy
June 18th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Hi Mike,
Oh sure, I think that engaging the original language is important for research and it is the academic standard as well. If you want to learn from someone, you must come to them on their terms. This phrase come from a hymn that Ambrose wrote in the 4th century. I believe it is a hymn about the glory of God. It roughly means, "With joy, let us drink with a sober intoxication of the Holy Spirit." The meaning is a little more difficult to understand. However, I believe that Ambrose is saying that when we are filled with the Holy Spirit, it intoxicates a person (as the Apostles were accused of in Acts) but it also brings a certain cleansing of the person - thus the sobriety.

I am trying to remain in the historical, in my comments above. I am avoiding theology so as to not talk about religion on the forum. Moderators, if you feel this post inappropriate, please delete.

Continuing with the historical - Ambrose was a bishop in Milan, Italy in the 4th Century. He grew up the son of a fairly prominent government official and was studying rhetoric and law. His rise to the episcopacy was not his will or his planning however. Instead, it was the will of the people of Milan, where he was governor.

Sadly, there are not a lot of Ambrose scholars in the world - at least not to the extent that there are Augustinian scholars. Thus, there are not a lot of good English translations of his works. Many of them are available on the internet. The majority of my work involved De Officiis Ministrorum. Ambrose also wrote "The Mysteries", a commentary on Luke, and several letters that we still have today. Ambrose was known for his mystagogical preaching, which is preaching on the sacraments after Chatechumens have received baptism and eucharist.

Hope that is a helpful introduction. Thanks for the interest. :)

A good volume with good translation into English and with commentary, but get out your wallet: :faint:

http://www.amazon.com/Ambrose-Officiis-Volume-Christian-Studies/dp/0199245789/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403104853&sr=8-2&keywords=de+officiis+ambrose

LagNut
June 20th, 2014, 12:43 PM
BlueNuitguy

That is the wonderful thing about this forum. I'm new here myself, but its essentially free speech as in the USA. (If I'm wrong, I'll be corrected- but I think that's the essence).

Thanks for the information and leads. I'll see if I can get it or borrow it.

Sometimes you can feel the resonance, and this is giving me that ring...

Mike

FredRydr
October 24th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Has anyone else noticed the color of Montblanc Toffee Brown (one of my favorites) is dependent on the paper it's written on? I don't mean the color of the paper, but rather the paper's content or age. I use a lot of vintage papers and postcards, and shortly after Toffee hits those old paper surfaces, the ink often turns to dark grey.

Fred

Chrissy
October 25th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Has anyone else noticed the color of Montblanc Toffee Brown (one of my favorites) is dependent on the paper it's written on? I don't mean the color of the paper, but rather the paper's content or age. I use a lot of vintage papers and postcards, and shortly after Toffee hits those old paper surfaces, the ink often turns to dark grey.

Fred
I had not noticed that. From now on I will check to see if it happens to those that I receive. :)

fountainpen51
October 28th, 2017, 09:37 AM
This ink is iron free, right?

Pterodactylus
October 28th, 2017, 10:53 AM
This ink is iron free, right?

Unfortunately yes....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4170/33835656363_90a57bac78_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TxWzPz)
Klingon Mek’leth (https://flic.kr/p/TxWzPz) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.flickr.com/photos/117783735@N07/), auf Flickr

(Montblanc Toffee Brown)

fountainpen51
October 28th, 2017, 05:15 PM
ok thank you, I left this ink on a wing sung golden nib and it has turned green, the gold has gone in parts ...