PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan M800 Demonstrator

Jeph
May 12th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Last Friday I finally had my “Make a Wish Nib” appointment and factory tour at Pelikan in Peine (outside of Hannover) Germany. That was honestly the trip of a lifetime. I am still too overwhelmed by the entire experience to write that post but it will come soon. This is only the last part of an already spectacular day. Detlev Köhn, the Pelikan Fine writing Engineer, and I had lots of time playing with pens. Along the way we tested a large selection of M800 demonstrators and talked about how each wrote. Yes, exactly like they offered back in 2008 but these all had black caps. I had fallen in love with one of the EF M800 nibs while we were playing. I convinced him that I REALLY wanted it. He called the boss and after a short discussion they agreed to sell me the pen. But there was one problem. They had the new style black caps that have not been released to the public yet. They would not make an exception. A couple of phone calls later and Herr Köhn excused himself while I browsed the store. It ended up he had them make me a cap. I can’t be sure if “make” meant manufacture or assemble but either way he returned with a grin and a fresh clear M800 cap. I have heard this pen called “etched” but the words are actually painted on. Some of the demonstrators did have some of the paint markings chipping off. I was allowed to take my pick of any of the dozen demonstrators and then put the M800 EF nib that I had already tested in it.

So after a completely wonderful experience I also walked away with not only my custom M600 nib and a awesome tour but this M800 demonstrator that I never thought would be within my reach with a thoroughly test driven EF nib that puts down a juicy überwunderschön weich das es mir eine Gänsehaut macht (mangled German for so super-duper wonderfully smooth that it gives you goose bumps) .4 mm line with a huge sweet spot.

I will be honest. It was an emotional experience.

Pelikan-Vera
May 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Congratulations, what a nice experience....must make an appointment.....:)

Robert
May 12th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Wunderbar! I love the "etched" nomenclature. Are these easily obtainable? Vielen Dank!

spotted and speckled
May 12th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I got emotional just reading it!!

jacksterp
May 12th, 2014, 07:38 PM
What a fascinating story.

The pen of dreams now snugly nestled in your hand...

Mags
May 12th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I would expect that dream nib is springy too. Lovely story. Pelikan sounds like they were awesome.

earthdawn
May 12th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Wow what a great story... Sounds like a heck of a day!

Congrats on all your goodies... you did well, VERY well indeed.

I love that big ol' demonstrator and to get an EF nib with a huge sweet spot is almost a contradiction of words.

Enjoy it and use it in good health & often !

Jeph
May 13th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Wunderbar! I love the "etched" nomenclature. Are these easily obtainable? Vielen Dank!

No, they are not for sale by Pelikan. They are only obtainable on the secondhand market from the people that snatched them up in 2008. That is just another reason why I was so blown away that they would agree to even sell it it me. I think that it helped that I had my TWSBI 580 with me and I compared the two side by side. The EF on my TWSBI is great, but it will never give me goosebumps.

Edit: I had no idea how to spell goosebumps.

lisantica
May 13th, 2014, 06:04 AM
This demonstrator should show up in those threads titled:

Last to go
Not for sale
Grail pen

Etc. Am I right? :)

Congrats on the pen and what sounds like such an amazing day!

RuiFromUK
May 13th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Very impressed with the experience you had with Pelikan. I think I need to talk to my wife sometime and do a little trip to Hannover.

Besides looking like a different pen and a great enjoyment for you it makes me want a Pelikan demonstrator too. As to get a nib ground to one's liking is an excellent service which in time I'll make use of to obtain an oblique italic nib rather than the straight italic nib already available.

(Un)fortunately it will have to wait a bit until the new lot comes out as I have spent quite a bit of money on pens these past few months. It is now time for me to use them before moving on to something else.

gclyn
June 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
That is a gorgeous demonstrator and I like the "etching" that points out the parts...man, I need to go and have a tour. Pelikans are my favorite pens, especially the M800s.

Nice trip and nice get.