PDA

View Full Version : De Atramentis inks

melissa59
June 1st, 2012, 02:03 AM
My eyes keep getting drawn to shades in the De Atramentis line, but when I went to read the reviews most of the shades had none. Should I take this as a sign that De Atramentis inks are not that popular among fountain pen users?

melissa59
June 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Whoops. This was supposed to be in the inky goodness thread. Sorry about that!

PSmith
June 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
They do indeed seem to be among the lesser-known ink makers. Even penexchange.de (http://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4495) has less than a dozen reviews.
The fact that they offer a few hundred different (?) inks probably does not help. One tends to lose focus.

writingrav
June 1st, 2012, 11:55 AM
I seem to remember Brian Goulet doing extensive reviews of them. I've found them way too wet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

geoduc
June 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I tried a half dozen of their colors when doing a large green ink comparison for FPN. They were well-behaved overall, except I agree that they tended to be on the wet side.

I'm a little surprised that there haven't been more reviews since Goulet Pens started carrying them.

tytoalba
June 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have a red I'm longing to try.
Morinda, and the gold-green too.

geoduc
June 3rd, 2012, 01:22 AM
I have a red I'm longing to try.
Morinda, and the gold-green too.

I think you're talking about R&K rather than De Atramentis. I have eight of the R&K inks and quite like their behavior and colors - Verdigris and Alt Goldgrun especially.

tytoalba
June 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I think you're talking about R&K rather than De Atramentis. I have eight of the R&K inks and quite like their behavior and colors - Verdigris and Alt Goldgrun especially.
you are absolutely correct geoduc! thanks for the report on those two : )

IWantThat
June 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
I have several DeA inks and find them very enjoyable. I think that Diamine and Noodlers get a lot of attention because they're always coming out with new colors. Since the Goulets started carrying DeA, it's nearly overwhelming how many choices of ink there are, but I have always been very happy with De Atramentis. I think the quality is right up there with the others :)

Pinkys.Brain
June 4th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I have one DeAtramentis ink and I found it not bad, but nothing special in any regards. Especially the long drying time compared to other inks made it unuseable for me (=> left-handed). And the ink needed a rather broad nib to get a decent amount of saturation. Just could not beat Waterman's inks.

It was also more expensive than any other ink I own.

writingrav
June 4th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I am just trying my first J.Herbin ink, Cacao D Bresil, and am finding it very wonderful to write with. The drying time is great, as are all the usual important qualities. This particular color is a departure. It is far from vibrant yet subtly grows on you. Very much of an earth brown that starts out almost gray and dries more and more brown, but has interesting shading potential. It is really growing on me.

JazzDoc
August 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I am just trying my first J.Herbin ink, Cacao D Bresil, and am finding it very wonderful to write with. The drying time is great, as are all the usual important qualities. This particular color is a departure. It is far from vibrant yet subtly grows on you. Very much of an earth brown that starts out almost gray and dries more and more brown, but has interesting shading potential. It is really growing on me.

J.Herbins can be great. My very favorite JH ink is "Blue Nuit". Well behaved and nicest blue-black I've ever seen. Gorgeous shading, stays 'true blue' - none of that teal nonsense creeping in. Seems almost vintage!

oldstoat
August 20th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Aha! I've been looking for a good blue-black, and the Diamine "new" Blue-Black was high on my list. Maybe I'll add this

Sailor Kenshin
August 20th, 2013, 08:19 AM

This is my all-time favorite gray-y/brownish/blackish subtle ink!

The deAt' inks (and I have some sample vials) sound like they'd be good for dry writers.

southpaw52
August 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Even though they are a lesser known ink, I personally enjoy using DeAtramentis ink. Some of their scented inks can be odd smelling, that quickly dissipates into the air. DeAtramentis colors different then other inks. I primarily use a fine point nib the wetness is not an issue for me.