PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the montblanc meisterstück 146

InkyThoughts12
May 14th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Ok so I have a few question about the Montblanc Meisterstück 146.

-Does the Meisterstück 146 have the word "Pix"under the pen clip?

-Is the Newer Model 2 tone (gold and silver)

-In the newer model of the Meisterstück 146 , is the ink feed curvy or just flat like a mountain?

Thank you for your time.

InkyThoughts12
May 14th, 2014, 06:42 AM
-is the meisterstuck 146 fountain pen's nib 2 tone (gold and silver

jar
May 14th, 2014, 06:53 AM

-In the newer model of the Meisterstück 146 , is the ink feed curvy or just flat like a mountain?

Thank you for your time.

Some do. Some don't.

Are you talking about nibs? Then newer ones are gold nibs with IIRC Palladium overlay.

Totally lost on the third question.

Answered above. You won't often see silver on nibs due to corrosion. There were some great PdAg (Palladium silver alloy) nibs made. most notably by Sheaffer.

InkyThoughts12
May 14th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Totally lost on the third question.

Lol I mean is it like a wave, I found an image on the internet (I just typed "Meisterstück Ink feed, and I saw this) http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/age5uzus.jpg
(Note: this image does not belong to me)

orfew
May 14th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Those feeds are from the 50's. The first is the flat ebonite ski slope feed and the second is a round ebonite feed. The flat version is the earlier version. When they re-introduced the 146 in the 70s they had a split ebonite feed. this continued through the 80's. After this you will find a plastic feed on the 146.

InkyThoughts12
May 14th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Those feeds are from the 50's. The first is the flat ebonite ski slope feed and the second is a round ebonite feed. The flat version is the earlier version. When they re-introduced the 146 in the 70s they had a split ebonite feed. this continued through the 80's. After this you will find a plastic feed on the 146.

Thank you for the valuable information,

jar
May 14th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Thank you for your time.

There is an even earlier 146 feed like the one on the left but without the ski tracks.

http://www.fototime.com/3CC273ACAF95FB3/medium800.jpg

All the new plastic feeds are slotted with a rounded profile IIRC.

InkyThoughts12
May 14th, 2014, 07:29 AM
There is an even earlier 146 feed like the one on the left but without the ski tracks.

All the new plastic feeds are slotted with a rounded profile IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

InkyThoughts12
May 14th, 2014, 11:36 AM

All the new plastic feeds are slotted with a rounded profile IIRC.

I have one last question...
- I have seen some montblanc a say 14k and some say 14c, why? Is there a difference in the quality of the gold?

jar
May 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM
- I have seen some montblanc a say 14k and some say 14c, why? Is there a difference in the quality of the gold?

There is no difference in quality.

The reason is actually twofold. In the 50s and 60s the term 'carat' was abbreviated as 'C' by Montblanc; later the German standard changed to 'K' and so MB changed what they used.

But often the reason is simply ignorance and sloppiness and the folk writing the advertising use the two interchangeably.

InkyThoughts12
May 16th, 2014, 09:30 AM

There is no difference in quality.

The reason is actually twofold. In the 50s and 60s the term 'carat' was abbreviated as 'C' by Montblanc; later the German standard changed to 'K' and so MB changed what they used.

But often the reason is simply ignorance and sloppiness and the folk writing the advertising use the two interchangeably.

Remember I said I had only one last question... Yeah :p

I have a few more :)

Montblanc makes two versions of the Meisterstück; 'Le grand' and 'classique'

What is the difference between these? Beside the 'le grand' being grand (big) and the classique being petit (small)

I heard from a friend of mine that the classique uses cartridges... Is this true?

Nomdeplume
May 16th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I believe Classique uses carts and the LeGrand is piston.

InkyThoughts12
May 16th, 2014, 09:38 AM

The Meisterstück Legrand cost too much compared to the normal version, this isn't quite fair! I could buy a Pelikan souverän M1000 instead,
But it's the love I have for montblanc :)

Jon Szanto
May 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
The Meisterstück Legrand cost to much compared to the normal, this isn't fair!
Very little in life is fair. Like scratches on a nib.

InkyThoughts12
May 16th, 2014, 12:27 PM
The Meisterstück Legrand cost to much compared to the normal, this isn't fair!
Very little in life is fair. Like scratches on a nib.

:p :)

InkyThoughts12
May 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Very little in life is fair.

I guess that's what makes life fun,
People look at what you bought; they become jealous, because they can't afford it. :p
Talk about showing off :) :p
It's dirty but fun :)

jar
May 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM

The Meisterstück Legrand cost to much compared to the normal, this isn't fair! I could buy a Pelikan souverän M1000 instead,
But it's the love I have for montblanc :)

There is a big difference in size between the Pelikan 1xxx and MB 146. Closed the MB 146 and the Pelikan 800 are about the same...

http://www.fototime.com/6B6FF17A1DEF814/medium800.jpg

but opened or posted the Pelikan 800 is slightly longer.

http://www.fototime.com/D38EB63E4BC42C9/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/949C974B4583612/medium800.jpg

The nib shapes are also quite different with the MB 146 usually giving a slightly softer but firmer feel than the Pelikan 800.

http://www.fototime.com/2712ADCFA80DC1A/medium800.jpg

kuli1961
July 17th, 2014, 01:59 PM

If I make no mistake, 144 was Classique (discontinued, replaced with 145- Chopin, renamed to Classique), uses carts, and LeGrand is 146, piston filler...

tandaina
July 17th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Yes, as far as I know there is no 146 Classique. That was the 144 when it became cartridge/converter (blech). There are a ton, I mean a ton of 146s out there. If you buy from a reputable seller, or from a collector at a pen show you don't have to worry nearly so much about fakes and the prices can be quite good. I just got an early 1980s 146 (ebonite feed, single tone 14k nib) for $225 at a pen show. That's far, far less than you'll spend for a new one today and the pen writes just as well (which is wonderfully). If there are any pen shows near you I suggest going.

mmahany
July 17th, 2014, 02:54 PM
"Classique" and "Le Grand" are subcategories within the Meisterstuck line. They do not equate to "piston vs. cartridge" classification.

Case in point: The 147 Le Grand Traveler which is nearly (or exactly, depending when yours was made) the same size as the 146 Le Grand, yet the 147 uses cartridges (converters won't fit) and the 146 utilizes a piston mechanism.

Ultimately, "Classique" is a fancy word for "entry line."

You have a right to be cautious of fakes. HOWEVER, I have yet to see someone produce any sort of proof (even a picture) of a replica/fake 146. I have seen 2-3 over the past several years, but they were such awful copies, even a beginning collector could spot them. To put it into perspective, they one was a baby blue color, and the other was a fire/flame design on the outside. Their piston mechanisms (if you want to call them that) consisted of a cheap plastic stem I'd expect to be found in a bottle of $2 cleaning solution.

snedwos
July 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM
$225 ebonite feed old 146 for $225? If I see that I may well just buy it...

Probably none left at DC by Saturday though.

tandaina
July 17th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Yup. Not a 50s model (my collecting niche) but I couldn't pass it up at that price. It is long gone into my collection from whence I doubt it will ever move. ;-) But there are deals out there to be had if you move quick!

orfew
July 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Yes, as far as I know there is no 146 Classique. That was the 144 when it became cartridge/converter (blech). There are a ton, I mean a ton of 146s out there. If you buy from a reputable seller, or from a collector at a pen show you don't have to worry nearly so much about fakes and the prices can be quite good. I just got an early 1980s 146 (ebonite feed, single tone 14k nib) for $225 at a pen show. That's far, far less than you'll spend for a new one today and the pen writes just as well (which is wonderfully). If there are any pen shows near you I suggest going.

Hi Tandaina,
Nice catch on the 146. I also have one from the late 70s or early 80s that I picked up for a similar price. I agree with you about their writing quality. An excellent pen.

mmahany
July 18th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Oddly enough, the resin barrel ebonite feed 146 often yields a lower price on ebay. I've bought two for $150 and $175. Of course, the celluloid barrel version yields a much higher price, but the 1970s (ish) era 146 pens can be easily had for your price point of $225 or less.

Chrissy
July 19th, 2014, 10:46 AM

-Does the Meisterstück 146 have the word "Pix"under the pen clip? If it was made after 1997 it is more likely to have PIX under the clip than not.

-Is the Newer Model 2 tone (gold and silver)Yes the newer model has a 2 tone nib that is gold and rhodium plated gold that makes it look like white gold. It isn't silver.

-In the newer model of the Meisterstück 146 , is the ink feed curvy or just flat like a mountain?The feed is curvy and has several fine horizontal fins. Older feeds were flat

Thank you for your time.

I suggest you search ebay for 146 pens and check out as many pictures as you can

Vokey
July 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
"Classique" and "Le Grand" are subcategories within the Meisterstuck line. They do not equate to "piston vs. cartridge" classification.

Case in point: The 147 Le Grand Traveler which is nearly (or exactly, depending when yours was made) the same size as the 146 Le Grand, yet the 147 uses cartridges (converters won't fit) and the 146 utilizes a piston mechanism.

Ultimately, "Classique" is a fancy word for "entry line."

You have a right to be cautious of fakes. HOWEVER, I have yet to see someone produce any sort of proof (even a picture) of a replica/fake 146. I have seen 2-3 over the past several years, but they were such awful copies, even a beginning collector could spot them. To put it into perspective, they one was a baby blue color, and the other was a fire/flame design on the outside. Their piston mechanisms (if you want to call them that) consisted of a cheap plastic stem I'd expect to be found in a bottle of $2 cleaning solution.

That was a great comment. Saying that the Classic is an entry line pen, helps me to put it in perspective.
Kind of like a Ford f 150. f 250. f 350. Navigator.

tandaina
July 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Yup. That isn't to say that the Classic (144) is a *bad* pen. I owned one. It can be handy for traveling since cartridges are so easy to pack and take with you. But in the end I sold my modern 144 (the old 144 is a piston filler like the 146 and is a totally different beast than the modern 144. I'm not sure when they changed. Mine is from just after the end of WWII.) because in the end... it didn't feel like a Montblanc. It just didn't have the balance, the nib feel, it just didn't have the magic. It was my second Montblanc (after a 50s 244) and I'm glad I owned it, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Definitely go for the 146 and if it proves a little too large or heavy search for a 50s 144, you won't regret it. ;) (Well your wallet will, because once you've owned a 1950s first tier Montblanc you will own more.)

orfew
July 23rd, 2014, 03:20 PM
Yup. That isn't to say that the Classic (144) is a *bad* pen. I owned one. It can be handy for traveling since cartridges are so easy to pack and take with you. But in the end I sold my modern 144 (the old 144 is a piston filler like the 146 and is a totally different beast than the modern 144. I'm not sure when they changed. Mine is from just after the end of WWII.) because in the end... it didn't feel like a Montblanc. It just didn't have the balance, the nib feel, it just didn't have the magic. It was my second Montblanc (after a 50s 244) and I'm glad I owned it, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Definitely go for the 146 and if it proves a little too large or heavy search for a 50s 144, you won't regret it. ;) (Well your wallet will, because once you've owned a 1950s first tier Montblanc you will own more.)
Good advice. One 50s MB can easily lead to a dozen or more.:angel:

mmahany
July 25th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I often use cars as a reference point as a car guy myself. However, I know many people couldn’t tell the difference between a Yukon and a Tahoe much less a Civic and an Accord.
A better reference would be to talk about BMWs (after all, we’re talking about a German luxury pen).

The classique line is essentially the BMW 3 series- The 320i/328i is equivalent to the base model 144/164/163. Nothing special aside from it having the expensive logo on it.
The “Classique Solitaire” compares to the 335i. The same pen/car, but with many desirable features (the metallic barrel and turboed v6 respectively).
Pens such as the Ramses compare to the M3. You’ll pay a significant premium but you get a phenomenal product that is very desirable, just a physically smaller platform.

Le Grand Line: Similar to the 5 series. The same example as above (528i, 535i, M5).

149(diplomat): 7 series. It’s almost comically large, but some feel they need it (I own several 149s….no 7 series).
Of note: I’m a BMW/Montblanc guy in case you can’t tell….I drive a modified twin turbo 335i for any other car guys/girls out there.

Chrissy
July 25th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I often use cars as a reference point as a car guy myself. However, I know many people couldn’t tell the difference between a Yukon and a Tahoe much less a Civic and an Accord.
A better reference would be to talk about BMWs (after all, we’re talking about a German luxury pen).

The classique line is essentially the BMW 3 series- The 320i/328i is equivalent to the base model 144/164/163. Nothing special aside from it having the expensive logo on it.
The “Classique Solitaire” compares to the 335i. The same pen/car, but with many desirable features (the metallic barrel and turboed v6 respectively).
Pens such as the Ramses compare to the M3. You’ll pay a significant premium but you get a phenomenal product that is very desirable, just a physically smaller platform.

Le Grand Line: Similar to the 5 series. The same example as above (528i, 535i, M5).

149(diplomat): 7 series. It’s almost comically large, but some feel they need it (I own several 149s….no 7 series).
Of note: I’m a BMW/Montblanc guy in case you can’t tell….I drive a modified twin turbo 335i for any other car guys/girls out there.

That's a good way of identification/comparison.

One thing I would add is the fact that most of the Writers Limited Editions are based on the 146 - Le Grand Line so they would need an upgraded BMW model. :) And there are also Solitaires available in the 146 - Le Grand Line that would too. :)

mmahany
August 1st, 2014, 10:38 AM

That's a good way of identification/comparison.

One thing I would add is the fact that most of the Writers Limited Editions are based on the 146 - Le Grand Line so they would need an upgraded BMW model. :) And there are also Solitaires available in the 146 - Le Grand Line that would too. :)

Yes, I only included the solitaire example for classiques with respect to keeping my post as concise as possible.

I'd compare the Writer's Editions to the 6-series. Even the entry level is very impressive with models ranging all the way up to M6 comparison (a car that sells for well beyond $100k)

Perhaps the Mozart line is best compared to the 1-series....a car that is small in size, but once again not inferior by most people's standards (especially the M1 that is no longer offered).

GING GING
August 7th, 2014, 10:51 PM

Don't drive down 301, in Florida, in that beast. You won't be buying too many Mont Blancs in the near future

GING GING
August 7th, 2014, 10:55 PM

Don't drive down 301, in Florida, in that beast. You won't be buying too many Mont Blancs in the near future

I got away from the Waldo Police, once. I was driving a viper truck.

GING GING
August 7th, 2014, 11:02 PM
This one is a 146 Platinum medium13203

I like mango pudding
August 7th, 2014, 11:15 PM
so where does the 146 Platinum fit into all of this?

jar
August 8th, 2014, 07:28 AM

It's hard to tell for sure but the proportions look wrong for a 146. Might that be a 145?

orfew
August 8th, 2014, 07:49 AM

It's hard to tell for sure but the proportions look wrong for a 146. Might that be a 145?
Nicely spotted Jar. That also looks like a 145 to me. The section ring and the lack of ink window are good clues I think.

I like mango pudding
August 8th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I second that. I am looking at my 146 Platinum right now and my 146 Gold and neither have the metal section ring.

GING GING
August 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Oops, sorry. It is the 145 plat.

GING GING
August 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=GING GING;91074]This one is a 146 Platinum medium[ATTACH]13203[/

This is a 145, not a 146. Thanx for pointing that out, guys.

talkinghead
September 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM

Or maybe not.......hmmm

:)
Rick

FredRydr
October 6th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Or maybe not.......hmmm
Details...details.

Fred

talkinghead
October 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Or maybe not.......hmmm
Details...details.

Fred

Dude, you need to stick with your flexible Sheaffer's and Conklin's. MB offers you nothing!! :jester:

But to answer your question....check this thread from last year...

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3257-How-not-to-sell-a-Montblanc-on-eBay

Rick