PDA

View Full Version : Important FCC vote tomorrow (Future of Internet in US)

LagNut
May 14th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Folks,

I am new here, but had to give a heads up to all US folk that tomorrow, the FCC will be making an important decision about what the internet is in the US.

I do have an opinion here, and I do think it should be considered a "Common Carrier".

If you are not aware of what this entails, take some time to find out.

If you agree with me, (or are on my general side), please email or call the FCC today before the vote tomorrow.

If you don't agree with me, you'd better get your opinion to the FCC, to counteract my clearly biased and incorrect views.

Thanks much,
Mike

Carole
May 14th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Mike! I've been looking for live Tweeting to follow what happens. Any you recommend? (Tim Berners-Lee is doing some.)

LagNut
May 14th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I'm not up on Twitter, but I will take your recommendation. I did see a reddit thread, I'll try to post that.

LagNut
May 14th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Eff website:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/prepare-take-action-defend-net-neutrality-heres-how-fcc-makes-its-rules

FCC website:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-hold-open-commission-meeting-thursday-may-15-2014

Gotta-be-mobile article:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/05/11/how-to-contact-the-fcc-before-the-net-neutrality-vote-on-may-15/

There are probably better links extant, but these are some I've found. Not in a good spot to add to the discussion, but I appreciate the twitter heads up, might be the best way to follow it. I'll try for more tonight.

LagNut
May 15th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Mike! I've been looking for live Tweeting to follow what happens. Any you recommend? (Tim Berners-Lee is doing some.)

This twitter feed [Tim Berners-Lee] looks the most likely (to me, who's not so twitter savvy) to have information through the day.

I checked out Boing-Boing, and I don't see it likely to be following closely.

I will probably be following the Berners-Lee feed, and watching Reddit.

Thanks much,
Mike

jde
May 15th, 2014, 07:37 AM

Carole, I follow https://twitter.com/freepress
there's also hashtag: #SaveTheInternet

Carole
May 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Much appreciated, thank you both! I guess the 120 day response window starts today?

(And thinking of Aaron as we write.)

LagNut
July 14th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Tomorrow is the end of the comment period for the FCC.

The chairman is taking comments still, and gives higher weight to those written by individuals, and not form letters.

What will have the most weight will be individuals who explain how the end of net neutrality will hurt them directly.

Maybe it's just me, but this smacks of a "canned response", looking for a means of justification. I am writing a comment. If you care about this issue, you might write a comment to him also.

Exactly how net neutrality will hit me will be very much like how privatization of our power utilities hit me. I couldn't have predicted exactly how we would be screwed, but we were. It's a little amazing to me that people who have ostensibly been educated would still be buying these lame "market is the magic" solutions. Markets are great, for commodities, not utilities. There was a very good reason for the old utility/phone setup.

OK, I'm going to pack up my soapbox.

Cheers, folks!
Mike

johnus
July 15th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Been sending Emails for awhile to Washington on this issue.
Fear that regardless of the vote, the issue will be settled by the Supreme Court who will 'go with the money' and find in favor of Corporate Free Speech and ignore Peoples Rights.
Sad[emoji22]

johnus
July 15th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Update that I found tonite on Google... https://www.publicknowledge.org/act-now/tell-congress-to-stop-meddling-with-net-neutrality

LagNut
July 15th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Oh, I suspec there will be an adjustment in the Supremes. I expect to live to see it.

I'm really sorry we have a bunch of clowns, and they self identify as conservative. However, it won't be the first time, and it won't be the last. I do believe we have a self righting ship., We just have to ship some water before folks crowd to the other side of the boat.

I really like the "tell your congressman" idea. I do, and it's a method more folks should avail themselves of.

snedwos
July 16th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I think markets for electricity are a good idea. Especially now that we are looking at a generation mix that will include myriad sources with different capacities, and a more distributed structure. They should do real time pricing too, that would get people to be energy conscious very quickly! The grid should of course, as a natural monopoly, be state owned.

Net neutrality is just so obviously important, I don't see how anyone could be taken in by any arguments against it. They're all just a ruse to keep the cable companies iron fisted control over things.

LagNut
July 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I think markets for electricity are a good idea. Especially now that we are looking at a generation mix that will include myriad sources with different capacities, and a more distributed structure. They should do real time pricing too, that would get people to be energy conscious very quickly! The grid should of course, as a natural monopoly, be state owned.

Net neutrality is just so obviously important, I don't see how anyone could be taken in by any arguments against it. They're all just a ruse to keep the cable companies iron fisted control over things.
Between utilities, I'm great with energy markets.

For consumers, been there, watched that turn ugly quick. A real object lesson in why utilities need to be government regulated monopolies.

Problem has been that returning the PUC back to what it was has not gone well. I think we are finally turning the corner on that though. Just took the destruction of a neighborhood to bring some clarity back...

Carole
July 16th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Did anyone see Vint Cerf on The Colbert Report the other day? The net neutrality issue wasn't directly discussed, Vint simply said that the original concept was designed as an open and free system and that's how it should remain. Very nice segment! ICYMI: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/08a2dg/vint-cerf-pt--1

Also, "FCC extends comments to July 18 due to overwhelming response"--- isn't that nice to hear.