PDA

View Full Version : Speak to Me of Flex Nib Pens

Shimmershadow
May 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I'd really like to dip my inky little toes into the very pretty world of flex nib pens, but aside from trying to mod an Ahab nib and futz around with that, I don't really know where to begin. What I'd really like is a non-dip pen that I don't have to mod that already has a properly, purposely flexy nib. Is it possible to find something truly decent for under $150? Are there any modern pens that are considered good flex nibs, or am I looking at strictly vintage? I think my next major pen purchase is going to be a Lamy 2k, but I'll gladly put that on hold for a good flex in a similar price range.

DrChumley
May 16th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I think you could probably find some decent flexy pens on the 'bay. My suggestion would be to look toward the all-black pens (which tend to go for less than the more colorful versions.) See if you can find one that has been restored, and where they provide a writing sample of the flex. I just did a quick search for "vintage flex fountain pen" and come up with dozens of options under $100.

I personally wouldn't bother with a modern steel flex nib. They're pretty awful across the board, IMO. And modern flex nibs can get a little pricey. You could look into something like a Custom Heritage 91 with an FA nib, as those provide more flex than the soft nibs on the Falcon, but it will still pale in comparison to the vintage flex.

Granted, I'm not an expert, but I did find a 1920s Waterman's #7 with a "Red" nib that is one of my favorites. I think you'll much prefer to have some real flex instead.

Wile E Coyote
May 16th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Yes, you can find something less than $150 with a great nib.

Without modification (John Mottishaw) you're not going to find a modern nib that truly flexes like a vintage.

Jon Szanto
May 16th, 2014, 02:59 PM
You can start with me, Shimmer. I'll be in touch in a few hours, just off to work, but I've got a couple pens you can try and then, if you like them, purchase (or not). Modest cost vintage pens (literally not much more than the Ahab) that do a lot better.

Soon, after back from work and errands...

I like mango pudding
May 16th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I just bought an Ahab and the stock steel nib gave wrist spasms after less than a page of mild flexing. Pushing the flex will permanently seize your wrist muscles after about a paragraphs worth of writing. Definitely not a flex pen as claimed. Needs modding for sure to get it to flex.

Shimmershadow
May 16th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Jon, you are, as always, a treasure of kindness. Dr Chumley, I think I just saw the pen you're speaking of that is awfully purdy! I'm picking up a dremel soon so that I can abuse my Ahab nibs and attempt the EMF mod and see if I can't needle down the point a bit...if not, it won't break my heart. If I can set stones and make jewelry, I can do this, right?

Is this worth bidding on? Vintage Waterman (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Waterman-Gold-SUPER-FLEX-Nib-Elegant-Black-Pen-/111352568212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ed215994)
(I don't mind a pen's being solid black, being an old gloom cookie myself.)

Jon Szanto
May 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
SS, PM and pics sent...

HughC
May 17th, 2014, 04:32 PM
A lot of flex nibs turn up on pens from the '30's (and earlier as well), Wahl Eversharp produced a lot as did National ( Good Service, Gold Medal, Gold Crown, Lincoln, Diamond Medal are some of the names their pens carried at times). A lot of English pens also had flexible nibs. Post war the Eversharp Sympony carried a nice flex nib on occasion and the Sheaffer Snorkel did as well ( these are rather sought after so probably out of your price ) You'll easily find one within your price range just take your time.

Regards
Hugh