PDA

View Full Version : Which Inks Should I Purchase Next?

todayilearned
June 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM
So I just purchased my first 2 fountain pens and now I'm looking to purchase some inks. I bought some Noodler's inks for everyday usage but I really liked the refill bottles that MontBlanc inks come in. I purchased the Alfred Hitchcock and a Regular Black-Blue refill. I'm looking to purchase the Carlo Collodi ink next. I just really like the bottles they come in because they look nice in my valet tray.

So I have a few questions about these type of inks.

-> Are they collectible items that I should save or feel free to use the ink? The ink colors are OK but it's mostly the bottles I like. Will the ink increase in value over time or something? I plan to use the bottles with the Noodler's inks.

-> How often does Mont Blanc release these type of editions? I know some are seasonal like the 2008 Love Letter ink for Valentine's. I've been looking for Love, Joy, and Friendship but they seem to be discontinued.

-> Are there any other companies that do this?

goldiesdad
June 2nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the forum ... Noodler's has a host of great colors all themed and I love them ... Have about 20 different colors to change to based upon my mood ...
Using Nikita all week ... a great red ...

I have to change my colors out or great bored ....

geoduc
June 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
If you find an ink you like, use it. A few inks have increased in value when they get discontinued, but not enough to get excited about. Montblanc Racing Green is an example - it was a regular production ink that was discontinued and is now sought after. People buy it because they're going to use it, not because it's any kind of an investment.

Several ink makers release special or limited editions. Sailor made four inks for each season in 2010, J. Herbin had the special 1670 Rouge Hematite (a red ink), etc.

Buy some samples, try a bunch of different inks, and find out what you like. There are some pretty cool bottles out there but it's the ink inside that matters.

tiffanyhenschel
June 2nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
There are literally hundreds of different inks available, and it is easy to get lost in all of the choices. Take others' ideas as suggestions, but try to get samples of inks before you buy, and only buy inks that you love. When you find one that you love, use it. If you use it and cannot live without it, buy a second bottle in case it is discontinued.

One caveat: an ink that you think you detest today may become a favorite next year, so don't hesitate to try it again. Paper, nib, feed, and your mood at the time all contribute to how you feel about an ink.

KrazyIvan
June 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Ink is a consumable not a collectible. Go to gouletpens.com and look at the ink samples. Order a bunch of different inks then start figuring out what you like. Buy the full bottle of said ink.

PeterLLLLLL
July 14th, 2012, 12:41 AM
There are literally hundreds of different inks available, and it is easy to get lost in all of the choices. Take others' ideas as suggestions, but try to get samples of inks before you buy, and only buy inks that you love. When you find one that you love, use it. If you use it and cannot live without it, buy a second bottle in case it is discontinued.

One caveat: an ink that you think you detest today may become a favorite next year, so don't hesitate to try it again. Paper, nib, feed, and your mood at the time all contribute to how you feel about an ink.

Ok,I know it ....Thank you for your article....hah .....