PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Leather Notebook Covers I've Made

Polyhistor
May 21st, 2014, 09:17 AM
Hi everyone, new guy with a serious leather and paraphernalia habit. :wave:
I'd like to show you a couple of my most recent notebook covers I've been making for myself and others, so here we go ...

Hope you like 'em! :)

Pensky
May 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM
These are great. Do you make covers for others for a fee?

Lady Onogaro
May 21st, 2014, 09:55 AM
I love the one with the little kitty on the corner (the mouse toy was cute, too--I have lots of those at my house--mouse TOYS, that is). :)

caribbean_skye
May 21st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Oh man love the one with the cat. That is some lovely work, thanks for sharing.

Polyhistor
May 22nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks everyone, glad you like the covers! :)

These are great. Do you make covers for others for a fee?
Yes, I also do some commission work since I went back to 25 hours at my computer day job. In fact, the one with the red stitching went to a chap in the UK who asked for that exact combination of oxblood dye and red thread.

I love the one with the little kitty on the corner (the mouse toy was cute, too--I have lots of those at my house--mouse TOYS, that is). :)

Oh man love the one with the cat. That is some lovely work, thanks for sharing.
That one was a birthday present for my girlfriend. It contains her cat journal, therefore the cat. Lady Onogaro, we also have those toys lying all over the apartment. I'm amazed in what weird places they reappear after having been triumphantly butchered and carried off by our furry flatmates. :)

Polyhistor
May 29th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Something new for y'all ... it's actually a cover for an e-book reader that a friend asked me to make for him. He wanted it to look like an ancient book. I shuddered to think about dyeing it black, but looking at it now, I actually like it. It turned out much nicer looking than I had expected.

Makes me think notebook covers à la Paperblanks but with the real thing instead of print-decorated plastic or faux leather. I'm sure it's been done before, but it sounds like a worthwile project – lots of fun with leather stamps (and maybe metal parts as well). :cool:

EDIT: Post editor behaved strangely ...

MY63
May 29th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Very nice work Polyhistor

Toulouse
May 29th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Very nice. Your craftmanship is great.

earthdawn
May 29th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Hi everyone, new guy with a serious leather and paraphernalia habit. :wave:
I'd like to show you a couple of my most recent notebook covers I've been making for myself and others, so here we go ...

Hope you like 'em! :)

LOVE that one... Beautiful workmanship !

Carole
May 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Get OUT!!! Wonderful design and execution! :cool:

The ancient e-Reader cover is stunning. Yours is similar to the one Socrates always used, right? But with a modern spin on it. Beautiful!

Polyhistor
May 30th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Thank you! I'll keep you posted on the next one when I get around to making it (still looking for a place close by that sells antique brass book corners).
I could kick myself in the a** for not taking some better pics during construction and before giving the black one away to its new owner. :cry:

Do you think it would actually be of any use to line the inside of a journal cover with suede (in this case it's actually chrome tan leather glued in grain side down) soft leather, or some sort of fabric, except for purely aesthetic considerations?

Yours is similar to the one Socrates always used, right? But with a modern spin on it.

You have a fine eye indeed! I think it was Plato, though, who said in his Politeia something like, "You shall know the true value of a book by the damage it does when you beat up a stranger in a shadowy cave." I'm pretty sure that was it ... on the other hand, it's been a long time and I have bumped my head several times since I read that one. :crazy_pilot:

Cheers,
Adam

Carole
May 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM
"You shall know the true value of a book by the damage it does when you beat up a stranger in a shadowy cave."

:pound: Ah, the power of the written word!

Speaking as somebody crazy about antique book corners, have you seen the ones at Eden Workshops online? Insanely expensive of course, but wow. I'm in the US, and have used the Tim Holtz corners on notebooks just for fun, though I know you'd be looking for higher quality.

Ref. various inside linings, the Raymay DaVinci notebooks (at Jetpens) have a very nice interior set-up. I especially like that they put the pen loop inside the cover. I've been trying to rig up something like this with my own notebook covers but they're a bit too small. But I like the idea. ( I hope I don't buy the DaVinci but I'm an addict and you know how that goes.)

Thanks for keeping us posted!
P.S. * Don't kick yourself in the asterisk -- you can always ask people to send you photos showing the fun of using your notebooks! A photo of the cat writing in the cat journal; the e-Reader in a cafe precariously perched next to a cappucino, etc. Notebooks in the wild!

***Came back to add in the link to Eden Workshops that I mentioned above, but see that it has since been added below--and that's exactly the page I was referring to. Tks.

MY63
May 30th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Hi Adam
See if these guys have the book corners you are looking for.

http://www.edenworkshops.com/Book_Corners.html

Really nice work

Regards

Michael

VertOlive
May 30th, 2014, 02:25 PM
These are just completely awesome. And lookit those book corners in MY63's link! Getting ideas, here...

caribbean_skye
May 30th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Wow, that ereader cover is stunning. Too bad I just got a cover for mine.

Polyhistor
May 31st, 2014, 08:46 AM
Hi Adam
See if these guys have the book corners you are looking for.

http://www.edenworkshops.com/Book_Corners.html

Really nice work

Regards

Michael

Michael, thanks for the link. These are really nice, but I nearly fainted when I saw the prices. :) I may have to see a local bookbinder or some other shops for a somewhat cheaper economy alternative.

A photo of the cat writing in the cat journal; the e-Reader in a cafe precariously perched next to a cappucino, etc. Notebooks in the wild!

This would probably result in some severe scratches ... Cafe and notebooks in the wild sounds much better to me. The wild is definitely not as dangerous as an irate cat in the home.
Those da Vinci planners look nifty. I don't know whether I will incorporate a pen loop in future designs. Actually, I'm not much in favour of them as I wouldn't use them for the sake of pen safety. If I'm ever asked to add one I'll have to come up with a solution, though.

Cheers,
Adam

Hawk
May 31st, 2014, 09:31 AM
How about producing a pen holder that clips (attaches) to a belt similar to phone cases? I would buy one.

BTW, very nice craftsmanship.

Polyhistor
May 31st, 2014, 10:04 AM
How about producing a pen holder that clips (attaches) to a belt similar to phone cases? I would buy one.

BTW, very nice craftsmanship.

Hawk, would a belt loop (maybe with a snap or a velcro closure) be alright for you? I've made a pen case before whose basic specs could be slightly altered and meddled with to match your requirements, i.e. how many pens etc. ... PM me if you're interested. I'm sure we can work something out.
Here's the case (you can find more pictures on my blog):