PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan or Franklin Christoph - which would you look to buy and why?

mwooten
May 22nd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Pelikan or Franklin Christoph - which would you look to buy and why?

Jeph
May 22nd, 2014, 06:53 AM
Which Pelikan and which FC and for what? That would make a difference for me. Both are very good manufacturers with lots of good things going for them.

mwooten
May 22nd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Nothing decided for sure and no timeline set, but was looking at Pelikan 400 or older 140 and the FC 1901.

Wile E Coyote
May 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Pelikan

carlos.q
May 22nd, 2014, 09:11 AM
Pelikan

Jeph
May 22nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
I am a big fan of piston fillers and screw-in nib units. The 400/M400 is slightly longer than the 140 so that might be a consideration, but I also am able to get the 140's cheaper than the 400's. The M400 is good also, and I am not sure if that was what you meant with 400. The 400 will (usually) give some flex while the newer M400's at most have some spring. The FC 19 is a BIG pen. It dwarfs the 400. But it also has a big nib, and I find that larger nibs tend to feel smoother all things being equal. I can't give any substantiation to that but it is what I feel. Plus you can get the Masuyama nibs on the FC.

Still, everything considered for me my first choice would be the Pelikan 400. Today I would put the M400 in front of the 140 but that race is too close to call. For reference I prefer the Pelikan M600 over the M800 as far as size goes. The FC simply is too big for my tastes. My one FC pen (the 27) is very well made. Plus they have the gurantee.

I think it will come down to personal preference and I doubt that you can really make a poor choice from those options. I would suggest that if you get a vintage Pelikan that you pay a little extra and get it from a reputable source. Once you are comitted to $200 or more for a pen a little peace of mind is quite valuable.

Silverbreeze
May 22nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
I like F-C more but part of that is the stock swab able Masuyama nibs

discopig
May 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
I like F-C more but part of that is the stock swab able Masuyama nibs

I have to go with F-C for the same reason.

manoeuver
May 22nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
the 19 is a very large pen. I have one and like it although my 02 gets a lot more use.
Haven't used the Pelikan 400, but folks love em!
good luck!

DrChumley
May 22nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
I think size should probably play a factor in your decision.

The Model 19 is a massive pen. I love mine...especially with the Masuyama Medium Italic 18k nib.

However, the more apples-to-apples comparison for me would be with the 800 or 1000. If you like smaller pens, the 400 absolutely. If you like larger pens, I'd pick the F-C between the two. Either pen is one that you'll enjoy. Both are very well-made. If I had to pick between my Pelikan M800 or my F-C 19, I would probably pick the F-C, but just barely. The nib is nicer, and the pen is more affordable for a very high-quality pen. (I also like the unique designs of the F-C over the more classic designs of the Pelikans.)

Silverbreeze
May 22nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
I think size should probably play a factor in your decision.

The Model 19 is a massive pen. I love mine...especially with the Masuyama Medium Italic 18k nib.

However, the more apples-to-apples comparison for me would be with the 800 or 1000. If you like smaller pens, the 400 absolutely. If you like larger pens, I'd pick the F-C between the two. Either pen is one that you'll enjoy. Both are very well-made. If I had to pick between my Pelikan M800 or my F-C 19, I would probably pick the F-C, but just barely. The nib is nicer, and the pen is more affordable for a very high-quality pen. (I also like the unique designs of the F-C over the more classic designs of the Pelikans.)

Matt - how's the gold nib?? I have the steel version and love it

migo984
May 22nd, 2014, 11:23 PM
I have a F-C 27 with an 18k Masuyama medium stub, and a Pelikan 400nn with a 14k OB. I use the F-C all the time but hardly ever use the Pelikan. I like the weight and sturdiness of the F-C and the nib has, over time, settled into a smooth, characterful, soft and springy delight. I am not enamoured of the Pelikan. The nib is very so-so and bland.

DrChumley
May 23rd, 2014, 12:36 AM
Matt - how's the gold nib?? I have the steel version and love it

It's wonderful. Nicely springy, perfectly ground. I do think I may have preferred the medium stub to the medium italic, but it's a very nice nib.

dneal
May 28th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Pelikan or Franklin Christoph - which would you look to buy and why?

Apples and oranges. FC is hard to beat for bang to buck ratio. If you want a piston filler, then Pelikan. Both write very well.

fountainpenkid
May 31st, 2014, 03:13 PM
Another thing to factor in is that FC pens also have a distinctive thread design, which is supposed to dig into one's hands less, but when I tried one at the D.C pen show, I found it actually did the opposite. It really depends on where you hold the pen, but for me, at least, it was a deal breaker. Here's a picture that shows them pretty well.
http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/7078136_orig.jpg