PDA

View Full Version : My Sheaffer Trio (Craftsman Lever, Touchdown, Snorkel)

KBeezie
May 22nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
Got around to taking new shots of my three Sheaffers (aside from the cheapie 60s student pen and skripsert of some sort). I never did get around to getting good shots of the Touchdown and Craftsman.

(1947-1949) Craftsman in Persian Blue with a #33 14K Gold Nib that writes like an Extra-Fine
(1951) Touchdown Admiral in Evergreen Green with a Feathertouch (14K + Platinum Plating) Accounting Nib (little finer than the Craftsman)
(1953) Snorkel Admiral in Black with a 14K Gold Open Nib (M2) Medium

The Touchdown and Snorkel were completely restored by Sean ( Write on Time Restoration (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Write-on-Time-Vintage-Pens-Watches-Restoration-and-Service/208871225809681) ), and the Craftsman was restored by the Seller I got it from (from what I know, sac replaced, body polished with Brazilian carnauba wax)

I'm actually considering trading the Snorkel for a Snorkel with a 'Fine' Nib. From what I understand the Snorkels with Triumph nibs are common with Fine (F4) Nibs where as the ones with Open Nibs like I have are common with Medium (M2). My Snorkel is real smooth, but I'm a 'fine' kind of guy :D

My Craftsman is currently un-inked, I love the color, I just don't use it much because I already have several pens I prefer with the same extra-fine line width it puts out (primarily my Montblanc 225, but the touchdown is so close in line width but doesn't have as much feedback to the craftsman).

I kind of want to get something like a Sheaffer Balance Oversize to add to the collection going further back in time, or go forward in time with an Imperial.

Some Pretty Pictures I took this afternoon :D

Currently got Private Reserve Spearmint in the Touchdown and Noodler's Black Eel in the Snorkel.

Jon Szanto
May 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
I believe you are referring to "Carnuba" wax. Common for polishing pens, though I prefer Renaissance Wax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax).

I may have some Sheaffers up for sale later in the month that are in your ballpark...

kirchh
May 22nd, 2014, 03:53 PM
I believe you are referring to "Carnuba" wax.
It's "carnauba."

--Daniel

Jon Szanto
May 22nd, 2014, 05:22 PM
It's "carnauba."

--Daniel
I learn something new every day. :)

HughC
May 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
It's "carnauba."

--Daniel
I learn something new every day. :)

Often found in car polish Jon. You can get it with or without a cutting agent added.

I'm actually considering trading the Snorkel for a Snorkel with a 'Fine' Nib. From what I understand the Snorkels with Triumph nibs are common with Fine (F4) Nibs where as the ones with Open Nibs like I have are common with Medium (M2). My Snorkel is real smooth, but I'm a 'fine' kind of guy :D

or go forward in time with an Imperial.

I'd say fine is the most common triumph nib by far followed by medium. Another consideration to the the Snorkel is the earlier TM TD ( basically same pen minus snork and 1/4" shorter), the nibs are the same. An Imperial!!...that's a rather diverse range from TM like right through to metal c/c s. Personally I think the best Imperials are the metal TDs in either sterling silver of gold plate followed by the same in c/c , if your only going to buy one be sure to check those out. Imo they represent great quality for the price (~$100-$150) , nearly verging on "bargain" in cost/quality terms. I'll post a pic if I get around to it...

Regards
Hugh

Jon Szanto
May 22nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
Often found in car polish Jon. You can get it with or without a cutting agent added.
Yeah, I know the stuff itself, I just f***ed up the spelling. And it's fine to use, I think, I just like this other stuff a little better.

HughC
May 22nd, 2014, 09:30 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AY4cAYo9Igk/U37AghBDkxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/dmWHA7d4qAk/s480/IMG_1442-001.JPG

KBeezie
May 22nd, 2014, 10:22 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AY4cAYo9Igk/U37AghBDkxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/dmWHA7d4qAk/s480/IMG_1442-001.JPG

I didn't even know metal touchdowns existed, that blue-ish one looks real nice.

HughC
May 22nd, 2014, 11:29 PM
The "bluish" one is sterling silver, it and the one next to are TDs the rest c/c. All Australian made bar one c/c and all the gold plated model. There is one other that's rolled gold or gold filled.

Regards
Hugh

pajaro
June 1st, 2014, 09:45 PM
There are some Craftsman pens with metal caps, lever and TD.

kirchh
June 2nd, 2014, 01:48 PM

Do you have some pictures or links?

--Daniel

HughC
June 2nd, 2014, 04:17 PM

Do you have some pictures or links?

--Daniel

Maybe your reading too much into it Daniel as the Craftsman did come come as lever ( the model before the above) , TD and in it's near final incarnation as a tip dip TD with a metal cap. As far as I know the last model had a plastic cap again, going by the name of a Craftsman 52. As written though I'm unaware of a metal cap model with a lever.

Regards
Hugh