PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Pen Box/case Elastic Band Repair

RayCornett
May 23rd, 2014, 09:06 AM
I have a Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga pen and pencil set in its original case. The elastic that held the pen and pencil in place has come off.

Might any of you have suggestions for putting it back so it holds the pen and pencil like it should?

Jon Szanto
May 23rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
You should be able to find elastic cord at a larger sewing or craft supply store. Lifting up the bottom panel of the case would allow you to re-thread said cord as in the original.

D Armstrong
May 23rd, 2014, 05:05 PM
We have a slightly earlier case torn apart right now. While not the same as yours, it does give you an idea of Sheaffer's thinking in case assembly. And, it gives you a look at their simple means of securing the elastic:

http://restorersart.com/images/fpn/Sheaffer%20Box/IMG_20140523_185525.jpg

http://restorersart.com/images/fpn/Sheaffer%20Box/IMG_20140523_185537.jpg

The cloth is simply satin pasted to cardboard inserts. The inserts are pressed into place, without even glue. Simple, and stands up to decades of use (although not much use, in this case.)

(Case. Heh heh. Just noticed that. Pretty good, for a groaner.)

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I guess I am being too careful. It did not seem to want to come out easily which is why I was asking for suggestions. But if it is just pressed into the case I guess I should not be worried about hurting it much.

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Well heck. It makes a liar out of me this morning as it comes right now........

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 08:52 AM
What is all this that was under the cardboard insert? Outside of some ink stain on the satin and the brass trim needing a polish the case is basically pristine. I was obviously special to whoever owned it first. The pen, a pastel blue Snorkel Saratoga, is also monogrammed with the name of the person who owned it.

edit- I know what the small metal bars are now but not the other metal pieces. They are all identically shaped but one is smaller than the other two. Clamps of some sort?

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I was able to thread the original elastic band back through the holes. I will uncrimp the metal bars that clamped onto the ends that kept the band from coming loose in the first place and reclamp it onto the ends. I just wish i knew what those other pieces were. Someone on Facebook suggested they are to help hold the pen and pencil in place in the case and go between the silk and cardboard backing but I am not sure how or where.......

Edit- Someone else mentioned they may be tension springs to make the case snap open and closed. This makes sense but have no idea where they would be placed.

D Armstrong
May 24th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Yup, it's the spring. In two pieces. Which is why we have ours apart...

If you take a look at the mid-point of the hinge you will see little slots where it would fit in place. The hinges in these boxes are often the victim of metal fatigue, as they are flexing every time the box is opened. To be honest, it's probably easiest for you to just use the box without it, unless you have a source of thin steel and the knowledge to temper it to spring hardness.

Oh, and as a side note, it's never wrong to be careful. It's easy to be cavalier about something you have multiples of, or have repaired several times. But it always pays to be careful when taking something apart. Our standard is to take reference photos of things, map out locations of fittings so that the originals go back in the same location, etc. It becomes second nature, and if you just rip something apart it may not go back the same way (not to imply that you would do that, but some might be so inclined.) So, stay careful. Even if it comes apart easily, it will still look the same when you are done; it's a major difference between "fixing" and "restoration/conservation".

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I dont mind using the box as is. I didnt know they were there in the first place since they obviously werent working but if I could get spare springs from a donor case I wouldnt mind. But it's not important really. But the curiosity was getting the better of me,lol.

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Ok once I got the little bras clamp pieces back open which was an ordeal for my big hands, I had them on the ends of the elastic in no time. Not worrying about the springs. But if I ever find a donor case I might replace them :)

D Armstrong
May 24th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Very nice! The satin is, indeed, nice and pristine. And I do like the early pastel blue.

RayCornett
May 24th, 2014, 08:35 PM
It does have some ink smudges on it and I will probably removed them as much as possible eventually but for now i'm just glad it can hold the set properly again. It is a nice blue and I am no fond of blue,lol. It has a red orange monogram on it, though. I don't mind the monograms but red orange?lol

vikramguliya
June 4th, 2014, 12:06 AM
you can try using a thread instead of elastic

RayCornett
June 4th, 2014, 01:37 AM
you can try using a thread instead of elastic

It's already done :)