PDA

View Full Version : Conklin Stylograph Mosaic

RodneyOK
June 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
This is a gorgeous pen from the modern incarnation of the Conklin Pen Company, the Stylograph Mosaic. It is advertised as being handmade from acrylic resin, producing no two that are exactly alike. The packaging that this came in was quite large and impressive, somewhat reminiscent of a casket! The pen itself struck me from the moment I set eyes upon it. It is certainly "man sized", and looks absolutely stunning. Now, on to the review...

Appearance and Design: 9

As I've said before, I find aesthetics of this pen to be very striking. The art deco mosaic pattern and the vintage flat top look make a bold statement that really appeals to me. The blind cap and section are both black acrylic, and the trim is highly polished chrome. I subtracted one point here because of the sudden step down from the barrel to the section. While this doesn't bother me or interfere with my grip, others might find it to be problematic. The cap does post nicely, but results in a pen that is too top-heavy for my tastes. This might not be the case for those who grip up on the barrel.

Construction and Quality: 8

The overall appearance of quality is excellent. The shiny chrome trim is flawless as is the acrylic resin. One of the nicest features of the pen is the "Conklin Clip", which is a spring loaded clip that can be easily opened with the pinch of your fingers. It feels strong, but not overly so.

Weight and Dimensions: 9

The pen has a solid feel and a nice amount of heft to it. It isn't overly heavy like some pens with a large amount of brass in the barrel, but has more weight than an all resin model. The barrel diameter measures at just over 1/2", and the capped length is 5 1/2".

Nib and Performance: 8

The nib is the two-tone steel Conklin "Cushion Point". It is quite springy, and can achieve minor line variation with pressure, but I wouldn't call it flex. The crescent breather hole is a nice touch, as is the contrasting Conklin logo. This medium nib does write a narrower line than I normally see on western nibs, leading me to believe that it is made in the east. That aside, it is very smooth, and nicely juicy. There is just the right amount of feedback for me to really enjoy writing with this pen.

Cost and Value: 7

This pen can be found for just around $115. At that price I would like to see a gold nib in place of the steel offering. This is a personal opinion, as I prefer the look and feel of gold. Other than that, the quality is commensurate with the price of admission.

Conclusion and Final Score: 8

I've got to say that I really love this pen! It is everything that I wanted it to be, and it will most certainly be one of my regulars in rotation. Only time will tell of the durability, but I have no reason to suspect anything but good results here. It does carry a lifetime warranty against failure due to workmanship and materials, normally a sign of the manufacturer's confidence in their abilities. If you like the vintage look of the old Conklins, I'd highly recommend this pen.

KrazyIvan
June 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
I love that acrylic. It looks like the stuff that Brian Gray just got for his pens, just blue.