PDA

View Full Version : I am a FP collector!

melissa59
June 2nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
It is official. I now have a fountain pen "collection"!

I hope that none of you will be too terribly envious, especially since all my pens are new. I know some of you poor saps have a whole lot of second-hand stuff in your collections and I pity you for that. But don't worry. If you are kind and good and eat all your vegetables, you, too, might be able to have a collection just like mine!

Here they are:
Hero 616, black & silver (This is a special addition to my collection. Please do not send me any PMs offering to buy it. It is NOT for sale!)
Lamy Safari, fine nib, lime green
Noodler's Konrad, Red Mesa Tortoise
Hero starter calligraphy set, lavender

I have a question ...
Inside the calligraphy pen ink reservoir is a little silver spring. All it does is slide back and forth inside the tube. Any idea what that's for? I guess I'm wondering if it's supposed to be there, just sliding back and forth like that?

writingrav
June 3rd, 2012, 12:05 AM
Go get 'em Marissa

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

writingrav
June 3rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Woops I meant Melissa

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

melissa59
June 3rd, 2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks writingrav. Monday I should get a bunch of ink samples. The inks and my new pens were a very modest investment that should give me plenty of variety for weeks of fun.

BTW ... I found my answer to the calligraphy pen spring on another website:
"The fountain pens come with a slide converter for bottled ink, which has a spring agitator to help prevent ink adhering to the converter walls and impeding flow to the nib"

KrazyIvan
June 3rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Feel the power of the dark side. Resistance is futile. Indulge in the madness. They all float down here... no, wait, wrong movie.

peterpen53
June 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
Very nice pens, Melissa. I really got into fountain pens so many years ago with a Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set. Loads of fun!

melissa59
June 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Feel the power of the dark side. Resistance is futile. Indulge in the madness. They all float down here... no, wait, wrong movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdDdC4go6c

tytoalba
June 3rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Invested in a Lime!
Definitely collector status.
Using? or admiring only?
And have you tried the Platinum Plaisir?
The red is wonderful. very nice writer.

melissa59
June 3rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
I am using the lime Safari. It writes extremely well for an affordable pen!

I have never tried a Platinum Plaisir. I just went to look at them on GouletPens and I love the colors! One of these days I might need to get a pen for each color of the rainbow just so I can always have green, pink, brown, black, blue or purple close at hand.

Actually, I am mostly joking about being a collector. I will likely end up with several cheap pens with varying nib sizes and a bunch of sample inks to play with, and then I will settle down comfortable with a few favorites of each. One day, I might invest in a really special fountain pen. Or I might put all my pens in a drawer and go on to another hobby. I guess I have a bit of attention deficit disorder when it comes to hobbies. Thankfully, they tend to rotate, so what I put on shelf this year will be taken down and played with in 2014. :-)

The only pen currently on my "must have" list is a late 1950's Sheaffer Snorkel in working condition that was made in Fort Madison, Iowa. Though that will likely be one that will get very little use. My mother worked at Sheaffer for six or eight months between graduating from high school and marrying my dad. I think it will be fun to have a pen that could possible have pieces that she worked on all those years ago. A kind FPN member has several sage Snorkels from that era and has offered to sell me one at a good price when I'm ready to make that purchase.

tytoalba
June 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
aww. you must have a snorkle. That a kind FPN member offered to fulfill this wish, doesn't surprise me in the least. Lots of "salt of the earth" thoughtful people in the fountainpen world. At times we misstep, but by and large we simply like to see others be successful with their writing instrument experience.

Hint, I paid More for my Plaisir than is currently available from Goulet. I was surprised to find the finish is sturdier than it appears, the fine nib is delightful. I'm back on a strict budget after "trying" to complete my Safari set, or I'd purchase one of each just for its writing, reliable qualities. The last pen I purchased as a gift was the pink Plaisir.

KrazyIvan
June 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdDdC4go6c

Yup, that's the movie.

Get yourself a Pilot 78G in broad. Todd at isellpens.com still has a few and they are a steal at $12.88. Looks like they are selling out. The broad is more like a crisp italic nib closer to the calligraphy set you have.