PDA

View Full Version : ED dry start?

kallenpj
May 25th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I seem to have some (sporadic and not quantified) issues with dry start for vertically stored (shirt pocket etc.) eyedroppers. Most recently experienced with an Edison (Jowo #6 18k). And before you ask, I have not had trouble when this pen was stored horizontally.
My best guess is that the feed is not properly saturated. Any experience with this? Is this a known phenomenon or an outlier?
-Phil

john
May 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I seem to have some (sporadic and not quantified) issues with dry start for vertically stored (shirt pocket etc.) eyedroppers. Most recently experienced with an Edison (Jowo #6 18k). And before you ask, I have not had trouble when this pen was stored horizontally.
My best guess is that the feed is not properly saturated. Any experience with this? Is this a known phenomenon or an outlier?
-Phil
Maybe the nib comes with baby bottom.

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Also, it would help to know the ink in use. Some are more prone to quick-drying in the feed.

kallenpj
May 25th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Nib is fine. It has come from Mike Masuyama in the last few months.
Ink is day 10 pelikan blue black which is dry at times. The root question is whether nib stored up in an ED prevents saturation of the feed which them leads to the dry start.

Jon Szanto
May 25th, 2014, 12:58 PM
If the question is regarding nib-up storage and feed saturation, that situation would occur no matter the filling system. A cartridge, convertor, piston, or any other fill is going to have an air gap once the first part of the ink supply is used up. I can't see how it would be any different by becoming an ED.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, as this interests me as well. I don't carry pens in a pocket, but my pens at home are stored both nib-up and horizontal, and I have varying degrees of "readiness" in both cases.

kallenpj
May 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM
If the question is regarding nib-up storage and feed saturation, that situation would occur no matter the filling system. A cartridge, convertor, piston, or any other fill is going to have an air gap once the first part of the ink supply is used up. I can't see how it would be any different by becoming an ED.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, as this interests me as well. I don't carry pens in a pocket, but my pens at home are stored both nib-up and horizontal, and I have varying degrees of "readiness" in both cases.

Thanks Jon. No argument taken. The difference is that with CC and piston I can open it up and force ink through the feed. I had heard some people prefer nib up storage and this point did not make sense to me.

kallenpj
May 25th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks Jon. No argument taken. The difference is that with CC and piston I can open it up and force ink through the feed. I had heard some people prefer nib up storage and this point did not make sense to me.

ChrisC
May 25th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Also Pelikan Blue-Black is super dry. Like taming-Visconti Dreamtouch dry. That might be a problem.

Perhaps try a wetter ink like Waterman Blue or similar?

mhguda
May 25th, 2014, 11:09 PM
And you can prime the feed by halfway or so turning the barrel (away from the section), then turning upside down and reclosing. You should do this above something that can take the drops of ink that will fall from your pen when you do that.

mrcharlie
May 26th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Try just holding the pen nib down for 5 to 15 seconds, but don't try to prime it or re-wet it or scribble with it. If that works, then there is probably nothing wrong with it. I store such pens horizontally when I can. I have a Pilot Metropolitan that is like this, and has been continuously inked for a handful of months now but stored horizontally and it always just starts that way, and always needs a few seconds held nib down if put in a pen cup.