PDA

View Full Version : Into Photography? Come on in!

RayCornett
May 27th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I am a fine art photographer. I thought it might be interesting to start a penpal thing for photographers of ALL skill levels. As long as you like taking photographs you can be included. I don't care if you are pro or amateur. I don't care if you shoot with a high end camera or low end cell phone. All are invited as long as you like taking photographs.

VertOlive
May 27th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Ray that's funny. I've been saving up for a Fujifilm Instax [Polaroid type thingey] so I can send business card sized snapshots to pen pals. Haven't gotten this idea off the ground yet, but once I do, there will be Candid Tuck-Ins included in with my regular notes I send to people!

RayCornett
May 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Ray that's funny. I've been saving up for a Sony Instax [Polaroid type thingey] so I can send business card sized snapshots to pen pals. Haven't gotten this idea off the ground yet, but once I do, there will be Candid Tuck-Ins included in with my regular notes I send to people!

If you have a cell phone that takes photos you can actually print those. I have printed a few and been pleasantly surprised. You can make pretty large prints sometimes, as well.

jfsisler
May 27th, 2014, 01:15 PM
My other main passion besides fountain pens and writing is photography. I mostly do landscapes and sports (football). I recently bought a new (to me) Canon 30D from a friend, and was gifted an older (35+ year old) Canon 35 mm SLR - I'm having fun experimenting with both and am looking forward to the start of football season so I can get some great action shots of the team. Lots to learn and experiment with - this is a great idea!

Type40
May 27th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Are you wanting to discuss and swap photos through the mail or through the forums?

I have been sending 4x6 Photo postcards (peel and stick backing) around the world since last years InCoWriMo. If you post your address, you should find a surprise in your mail box, without too much delay. If you would rather not, you can always send something first and expect a response in kind.

Welcome to the group. There be photographers among us.

VertOlive
May 27th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Ray that's funny. I've been saving up for a Sony Instax [Polaroid type thingey] so I can send business card sized snapshots to pen pals. Haven't gotten this idea off the ground yet, but once I do, there will be Candid Tuck-Ins included in with my regular notes I send to people!

If you have a cell phone that takes photos you can actually print those. I have printed a few and been pleasantly surprised. You can make pretty large prints sometimes, as well.

Nope, I have the most bottom of the bin cellphone on purpose. The Polaroid Thingey is part of a retro kick I'm on...

We do have a Photography thread here on the forum if you'd rather post on-line...just sayin'

VertOlive
May 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Are you wanting to discuss and swap photos through the mail or through the forums?

I have been sending 4x6 Photo postcards (peel and stick backing) around the world since last years InCoWriMo.

How do you make those?

Type40
May 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM

I have been sending 4x6 Photo postcards (peel and stick backing) around the world since last years InCoWriMo.

How do you make those?

I still use my local lab to print my photos (they are a nice group), then use one of these Postcard Back (http://www.amazon.com/Photo-Postcard-Turn-Photos-Cards/dp/B001RI22KK).

In a few days you should have an example of the end result, conveniently placed in your mailbox.

RayCornett
May 27th, 2014, 05:26 PM

I have been sending 4x6 Photo postcards (peel and stick backing) around the world since last years InCoWriMo. If you post your address, you should find a surprise in your mail box, without too much delay. If you would rather not, you can always send something first and expect a response in kind.

Welcome to the group. There be photographers among us.
Basically real penpal activities via snail mail. Whether it's just discussion or sending photos, postcards of your own photos, etc.

Type40
May 27th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Then I would recommend that you add a bit of info along those lines to either you profile and/or a post in the InCo Pen Pals for the rest of the year (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1824-InCo-Pen-Pals-for-the-rest-of-the-year) thread with either your address or a note that you would like a PM for it.

You can also look at the profiles of the other people in that thread and surprise any, that you see who listed photography in their profile, with a letter or postcard.

caribbean_skye
May 27th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Wish I knew this last weekend, as a bunch of the antique stores I went into had polaroid cameras.

VertOlive
May 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Wish I knew this last weekend, as a bunch of the antique stores I went into had polaroid cameras.

You might want to check to see if the film is still available for the vintage polaroids before you buy...the Instax is a re-issue of the old Polaroid concept and has different film...

Morgaine
May 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I often enclose photos in letters, but am not keeping a record of what I send though!!

Mortiana27
May 30th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I often enclose photos in letters, but am not keeping a record of what I send though!!

I started to do that then began to worry that I might send a duplicate photo!

VertOlive
May 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Payday! Just ordered the Polaroid Thingey. Now I can send little business card sized photos. Something about the small size and instant picture intrigues me....

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Instax-Camera-Piano-Black/dp/B003XFYTT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401480631&sr=8-1&keywords=fujifilm+instax+mini+50

Also got a pack of those Postcard Backs that Type40 recommended...

I started a notebook after InCoWriMo to help me remember what I'd sent in the letters I wrote...gee, I'd hate to repeat an ink color and bore my pen pal to pieces...(!)

Holsworth
June 4th, 2014, 04:58 AM

You might want to check to see if the film is still available for the vintage polaroids before you buy...the Instax is a re-issue of the old Polaroid concept and has different film...

Most common (600 or SX70) Polaroid film is available these days through Impossible Project, and I discovered yesterday they sell it in the Apple store here, to go with the lomo Polaroid printer (allows you to turn smartphone photos in to real polaroids). My lovely boyfriend bought me a couple of packs of 600 film and suggested I can take some photos to send with letters - now I just need to work out what to photograph!

jokeruk
June 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I have noticed quite a few people enjoy photography - might be a nice thing to include shots we've taken. I shoot with a Canon 50D BTW.

Leigh

bc.hiker
June 9th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Count me in too. I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and have an old Nikon FA and an old Nikon D100. Don't have enough time in a day to have the luxury of taking more photos but eventually I'd love to do more of it. Maybe photography & pens/ink/writing go together? Seems there are quite a few people who share these interests.

Kathy

ac12
June 11th, 2014, 10:54 PM
I'm an old photo nut, been shooting since the 70s. But my cameras have sadly been neglected for the last few years. Too many hobbies, too little time.

What I find really neat about the current environment is I bought a Hasselblad 500c/m + 80mm lens + back for less that what I paid for my Nikon D70. How sad is that. That was a camera that I thought I could never afford. My next project is to try to build a darkroom under my house, so that I can print again.

I just need to have the dicipline (and the ability to spell) to go out and shoot.

Mortiana27
June 13th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I have an antiquated Canon Rebel XT that I use mostly.

This was taken on one of the rare mornings I was actually awake by 6am
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5240/14391902826_a3202b775a_z.jpg

Holsworth
June 14th, 2014, 01:32 AM
I'm an old photo nut, been shooting since the 70s. But my cameras have sadly been neglected for the last few years. Too many hobbies, too little time.

THIS. This is the problem I have too (though not the bit about the 70s... wasn't quite born then ;) ). I am trying to remember to take my camera with me when I go out, like I used to. And then I just need to make time to sit down at a computer with it.

I am planning on sending off 5 rolls of film that have been sitting unprocessed for a couple of years due to lack of funds. And I have a mystery roll of 120 in my Bronica (can no longer remember what it is, it was so long ago I loaded it up!) that I'll be trying to finish off too.