PDA

View Full Version : Which pen to dedicate to ESS Iron Gall ink?

nickant
May 27th, 2014, 07:30 PM
(my first thread!)
I love Blue-Black as an ink colour - very vintage in looks and a good match for my preference for vintage pens etc.
I've been lucky to find a very old (c1970) bottle of Sheaffer Skrip #22 Permanent Blue-Black, and have been using it in my piston filler c1962 Osmia/Faber-Castell Progress 66G (fine 14ct gold nib).
Works great - but it the bottle was only about 25% full when I found it and it's going to run out soon.
So I've ordered a bottle of ESS Registrars Ink, after reading so much about it.
I understand it can be a bit of a pain to clean out of some pens, and it is not really suitable for all.
So my question is: which of my pens should I dedicate to ESS?
Here are my current choices, ignoring EF/XF nibs that may be a bit too dry and a Parker 61 that I think would be unsuitable:
1. Parker 51 Aerometric - I have a couple in both F and M nibs, so maybe one of these?
2. Osmia/FC 66G - F gold nib - it's a piston filler, so maybe easier to clean, but an F nib so dryer but still ok
3. Parker 45 with F nib - maybe?
4. Parker 17 with M nib - not really a preferred choice
5. Pilot 78G with Broad/Italic nib, 22ct gold plated - my only new FP - easy to clean, but I don't want to use it as often as (1) or (2)
Any suggestions/ideas are most welcome!

The Good Captain
May 28th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I'm using it in a Conway Stewart Montague exclusively as the narrow black pen seems to suit the 'ageing' process of the ink. Easy enough to 'dismantle' for cleaning every once in a while, even the nib and feed. Of course, it's a c/c filler as my old Parker 45 was, so I presume yours is too. That one would be my suggestion but I don't have any experience of the other pens you mention.
The ink comes in quite narrow-necked bottle, relative to the volume so I decanted some into an old (but clean!) Pelikan 4001 bottle (30ml) which is ideal.

Jeph
May 28th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I can say definitively that you do not want to use the Parker 51. That massive collector at the back of the feed is great for having ink available to the nib but a nightmare to clean. Good pen, but not one that I consider easy to clean.

The same goes for the F-C 66G. It also has an ink collector at the back of the feed, plus an ink window to stain. That would not be my choice.

You have already self-eliminated the Parker 17 and Pilot 78G so there is no reason to really consider those.

Than only leaves the Parker 45, and on that one I agree with The Good Captain. Those are all C/C pens and they are easy to clean. Plus I find the Parker 45's to be well balanced and all of mine write consistently well.

nickant
May 28th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Looks like the Parker 45 may be the safest choice.

Mine is the CT/Arrow version.

It has a Fine gold nib, so it should be able to cope.

I have the original Parker converter, as well as a cheap Indian reproduction and also an empty Parker cartridge that I could fill with a syringe.