PDA

View Full Version : The Doctor Who PIF

migo984
May 28th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I wanted my next PIF to be a bit quirky. So this is for you Doctor Who fans, stamp collectors, and/or postcard exchange members out there. It combines collecting with a writing opportunity (if you so wish).

I am offering some Royal Mail goodies. Both items were issued in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Doctor Who TV series.

First is a set of mint, collectors' edition Royal Mail stamps. There are 4 x 2nd class featuring 4 Dr Who villains, including a Dalek, a Weeping Angel, a Cyberman & an Ood. There is also a 1st class stamp featuring the Tardis. All are currently valid stamps and could be used on mail in the UK.

Second is a set of postcards featuring the artwork for all the Royal Mail stamps issued in 2013. I think there are one or two Doctors missing (I'm not sure as I don't watch Doctor Who), but there are 11 Doctor postcards and 6 others (villains + Tardis etc). They are suitable for posting if you want to write on them.

Both items are mint and in collectable condition.

If you'd like to be considered for this PIF, apply in this thread and let me know briefly why you want them & what you'd do with them if you won.

There are no restrictions on the PIF. It is open to everyone, world-wide. I will cover shipping.

I'll keep this PIF open until Wednesday 4th June, 7pm British Summer Time.

Dreck
May 28th, 2014, 06:32 AM
I've been watching Doctor Who since the late 1970's. Since I don't live in the UK, these would be worthless to me as postage, but the TARDIS stamp (& perhaps Dr's 1 through 4) would look great with my 1983 ComiCon ticket that has autographs from Anthony Ainley & Terry Nation written on it (as soon as I can remember where I put it for safekeeping...). All of the rest would be used as tuck-ins for my Whovian penpals, or forwarded to my panpals in the UK so that they could use the stamps to write to me :D

RayCornett
May 28th, 2014, 10:53 AM
While I am not a Dr. Who fan at all I have a dear friend who would absolutely adore this. He at one time had the door of his garage that was the entrance to his living room painted like the Tardis. This would not be for me but for him. I am sure they would be proudly displayed in his office.

KBeezie
May 28th, 2014, 11:47 AM
:P 10th Doctor is my favorite (Tennant). If I had something like that I'd frame it, can't exactly use their postage here. (now if only they made a fountain pen [not ballpoint] replica of one of the sonic screwdrivers).

In regards to the duplicate image, if you've attached more images than you've embedded, it shows the remainder as attached, so simply go to manage attachments and remove the ones you haven't embedded.

migo984
May 28th, 2014, 12:34 PM
In regards to the duplicate image, if you've attached more images than you've embedded, it shows the remainder as attached, so simply go to manage attachments and remove the ones you haven't embedded.

Only attached the 2 images. Up load into the Manage Attachment areas. Then add in-line. Is that wrong?
It did it last time I posted too. I have no idea why.

KBeezie
May 28th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Only attached the 2 images. Up load into the Manage Attachment areas. Then add in-line. Is that wrong?

Hrm odd, should be exactly like that, unless what you did was inline 2 from a previous upload, then re-attached two more... or something (Vbulletin isn't my strong suit)

In the past it only showed duplicates if I had extras under the attachment section at the bottom of the full editor.

Toffer
May 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I love Doctor Who and have watched all the modern episodes! I would love some of these to add to my letters to other Doctor who fans and stamp 'enjoyies'!!

migo984
May 28th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Hrm odd, should be exactly like that, unless what you did was inline 2 from a previous upload, then re-attached two more... or something (Vbulletin isn't my strong suit)

In the past it only showed duplicates if I had extras under the attachment section at the bottom of the full editor.

No, definitely only uploaded the images once and added only the 2 images inline. No extras showing in full editor. An application fault maybe? Edited - deleted and added in again. Only one set showing now. Thanks for your help.

DavidDecorator
May 29th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Dr Who took me out of my childhood for an hour every week. I travelled all of Space and Time with Dr's from Tom Baker to Sylvester Mcoy. Now I've got the opportunity to relive those happy times with the new Dr's. That's why I want these
My children will never have the childhood I had but they do love Dr Who and I would ultimately pass this on to them when my time comes having filled in the missing pieces.

migo984
May 29th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Fixed the duplicate image problem. Thanks everyone, for the advice.

alc3261
May 30th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I already have a complete set!! (Yes, I am a nerd)

migo984
May 31st, 2014, 09:00 PM
Bumping this PIF

FayeV
June 1st, 2014, 01:46 AM
Oh wow, you guys have the coolest stuff. I'm on the wrong side of the Pond. But even if I were on your side of the Pond, I don't think I could bring myself to use those in the mail. I'd put them in one of my stamp albums. Are your postage stamps the new "sticker" style ones we use here in the United States? I kinda miss the old ones where we had to lick the back. My favorite Doctor is 10 (David Tennant) and my favorite companion is Martha. I've been meaning to knit the Tom Baker scarf and already have yarn in all the required colors, however I haven't gotten around to starting it because knitting endless garter stitch gets monotonous real quick.

alc3261
June 1st, 2014, 03:24 AM
We have self adhesive and requires licking stamps. Strangely the Dr Who set has some of each!!

tenney
June 3rd, 2014, 12:04 AM
Wow.. A chance to get a set of those stamps? I'm in. What do I have to do? Can I not give them to my son?

migo984
June 3rd, 2014, 01:35 AM
Wow.. A chance to get a set of those stamps? I'm in. What do I have to do? Can I not give them to my son?

If you win, you can do whatever you want with them. I'll include you when I decide the winner tomorrow evening.

migo984
June 3rd, 2014, 01:39 AM
I already have a complete set!! (Yes, I am a nerd)

Yes I have another full set of the stamps and stickers too, plus the commemorative booklets etc. I don't like the Doctor Who TV programmes though - I have an allergy to "hype over substance" :-)

jokeruk
June 3rd, 2014, 01:54 AM
.Heathen! 😉.

Don't mention that too much to us Brits! Haha.

migo984
June 3rd, 2014, 04:10 AM
.Heathen! .

I am a Brit! And I still hate Doctor Who....... And Sherlock! LOL :-)

jokeruk
June 3rd, 2014, 04:13 AM
.Heathen! .

I am a Brit! And I still hate Doctor Who....... And Sherlock! LOL :-)

Haha, oops. In that case, don't mention it too much to this Brit! Lol

And not liking Sherlock - the sacrilege deepens!

Leigh

migo984
June 3rd, 2014, 04:24 AM
I put it down to my mongrel ancestry :-)

jokeruk
June 3rd, 2014, 04:25 AM
Haha, anyway - sorry for hijacking the post!

Leigh

migo984
June 4th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Results of my Doctor Who PIF

The winner of the stamps and postcards is DavidDecorator. :dance3: I'll be in touch with David to arrange delivery.

Thank you to everyone who entered both in this thread and by PM. It was fun.

Watch out for another PIF from me soon................ :-)

RayCornett
June 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Congratulations, David!

Dreck
June 4th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Congrats, David!

DavidDecorator
June 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks Migo.

tenney
June 6th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Way to go, David.