PDA

View Full Version : Lamy 1.1mm stub nib ink flow issues?

sherrylu
May 28th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Hello fellow FP Geeks,

I have a question/issue/problem. I'm fairly new to fountain pens, and very recently got a Lamy Safari with the 1.1mm stub nib. When I write, it starts fine, but part way through a page, the ink flow just becomes AWFUL. Sometimes it's quicker than other times. The strokes aren't as thick, and I'm finding that it leaves a gouge on the paper. Am I doing it wrong?! The ink currently in it is Pilot Iroshizuku Kosumosu. I've rinsed the pen since receiving it (just with water). Thanks in advance!!

PS. This issue also sometimes happens with my Pilot Metropolitan. Help please!

ac12
May 29th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Well the impression in the paper indicates that you are pressing hard on the pen.
You do not need to do that. My 1.1 nib flows ink just fine with almost no pressure or very little pressure on the nib. Definitely not enough to leave an impression in the paper.

What you describe sounds like the feed is starving. What I mean is the ink that you are using is only coming from the feed, then when that is exhausted, the pen runs dry.
When that happens, stop, keep the nib pointed down, unscrew the barrel, look at the ink in the converter.
- My guess is there will be an air bubble at the bottom of the converter, and the ink will be at the top of the converter. That air bubble is keeping the ink from flowing into the feed.
- When that happens, I have to tap the converter to get the ink at the top of the converter to fall to the bottom, where it can flow into the feed.
- This happens all the time when I pick up my Sheaffer calligraphy pen, luckily it has a transparent barrel, so I can see that the ink is stuck. Then I tap the barrel to drop the ink to the front of the converter.
- When it happens to my other pens with solid barrels, I unscrew the barrel to check how the ink looks in the converter. And usually it is that same problem, the ink is stuck on the top of the converter and separated from the feed. I just tap the converter to cause the ink to drop to the bottom/front of the converter, then screw the barrel back on.

Jeph
May 29th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I agree with ac12 on all points.

kaisnowbird
May 29th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I notice that the top and left sides of the paper are problem free.

If you are right-handed and find that the problem becomes more pronounced as you move across or down a page, it may be an indication that the small amount of oil rubbed off your palm and onto the paper is interfering with your nib's putting ink on paper.

If that's the case, try writing with an extra piece of paper underneath your palm. Or try a wetter ink.

Hope that helps.

Sailor Kenshin
May 30th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Can you show a writing sample for the Met, too?