PDA

View Full Version : Pilot 78g question

Lt. Tom
June 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Backround; I needed a pen for very small, neat writing for filling out forms printed on very cheap copier paper. Based on what I'd read around here, I ordered a Pilot 78g with a fine nib. Inked with Noodler's Bulletproof Black it creates the finest line I could ever imagine coming out of a fountain pen. Perfect. I really can't imagine using such a fine nibbed pen for anything else, though. I love the pen, and I wish I could get more use out of it.
So, my question; If I were to order another 78g and wanted something more in the European medium to fine range, should I order a 78g in a medium, or a broad? (I'm more familiar with Lamy and Kaweco nibs)
I know, for the money I should just suck it up and buy both, but that would mean one less bottle of ink I could afford!

Thanks

KrazyIvan
June 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I have the broad and it is more like a 1 mm crisp italic. The measurement is just a guess as I have not actually measured it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/7025000821_2f745de8da_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/7025000821/)
Pilot 78G - Stub Nib (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/7025000821/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

Lt. Tom
June 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM
So the broad is a stub? Hmm........ I think that might be my answer right there.

Thanks, Ivan!

KrazyIvan
June 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I would not call it a stub. It is more of an italic than a stub. A stub has smoother corners. The B on the 78G can be sharp. Once you get used to it, though, it is very smooth. I don't catch it on the edge anymore and scratch the paper. It is a lot of bang for the buck. Isellpens.com has them for just under $13.

tytoalba
June 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Great photo Ivan. Just examined my Plumix, and 78G fine point > with your photo.
Is there tipping on the bottom of your B?
There is on my fine point 78G. which is smooth, but round ball smooth fine, no italic. The Plumix nib looks just like your B except is steel. Wish I'd thought to include the 78G in B.

KrazyIvan
June 5th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I hear the 78G B is the same as the Prera. Considering the Prera is ~$50-$60, the Plumix is a good deal and I would not be surprised if it is the same nib. The 78G seems just a little bit better in build quality. There is no tipping on the nib.

miatapaul
June 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM
The 78G in Broad does not seem to me to be the same as in the Plumix but close. It seems to not be quite as crisp and is a bit smoother than the Plumix, but if you want a cheap italic to try out the Plumix is not bad and can be found at most Target stores for about $6. The nibs will swap out with the 78G so you can swap and play around. I have been filling the Plumix cartridges with a syringe and have one that is quite scratchy and one that is very smooth. I need to pick up some micro-mesh so I can smooth one of them out to a stub.

I have heard that the Prera is the same as the 78G as far as the nibs go, seems to be getting pricy for what you get. Not that I don't like the 78G, it is really nice for $12, but for 50-60 I think I could find something I like better.

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I agree about the pricing of the Prera. I think it just looks cool. I sometimes almost pull the trigger on the Prera then I use the 78G and the itchy trigger finger goes away.

melissa59
June 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I saw some Pilot 78G Double-B on eBay for $19.99 plus shipping.

jor412
June 9th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I've used 3 Pilot 78G: one double-B and two Fs. In all cases, I've had to smooth out the pens and get them to write wetter. They're all right although I was disappointed after reading all of the glowing reviews about them.

goldiesdad
June 9th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I only have fines and mine I tweaked to get wetter ... I am trying a broad and maybe grind it a hair to stub it ... Great value

rapid_butterfly
June 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I have a few 78s including a Medium - it was one of the first FP's I ever bought. I think the M is directly comparable to a Lamy / Euro F / EF.