PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Cartridges Opaque?

conib
May 31st, 2014, 02:39 PM
I just went surfing for some Sheaffer-proprietary cartridges and along the way saw a couple of references that say that they are now (or have been for a couple of years now) opaque rather than translucent and so the ink level can't be seen.

Is this true?

-- Constance

jbb
May 31st, 2014, 04:07 PM
That seems to be true from what I've found when looking for them.

mrcharlie
June 1st, 2014, 03:49 AM
I haven't verified this, but I think that when BIC moved ink production to Slovenia in 2001 or 2002 they changed to colored opaque cartridges. Soon thereafter they went back to clear cartridges for Blue, Jet Black, and Blue Black with a colored plug on the back end to indicate ink color, and then moved to translucent colored cartridges for the rest.

Have they really gone back to fully opaque cartridges? That would bite.

Sailor Kenshin
June 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM
Indeed it would. One of the things I like about cart loaders is being able to see the ink level.

mrcharlie
June 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM
I just went surfing for some Sheaffer-proprietary cartridges and along the way saw a couple of references that say that they are now (or have been for a couple of years now) opaque rather than translucent and so the ink level can't be seen.
-- Constance

If you are ever near University Bookstore, on the basement level (east side, if I am remembering it right and if it hasn't changed) they sell FPs and ink. It has been a few years since I've been there, but at the time they carried at least 6 or 8 colors of sheaffer ink in cartridges, in blister packs hanging there (not where you have to ask to see them). I'm just assuming they have reasonable inventory turnover, so you could go look and see what the current cartridges are like. :)

conib
June 1st, 2014, 10:22 PM
This afternoon I sent an email to the folks at Pendemonium.com and Sam's response was "the new Sheaffer Skrip cartridges are now translucent so you can see the ink level."
:cheers:
All is good.

-- Constance