PDA

View Full Version : Do You Buy Pens for Special Occasions?

Polyhistor
June 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM
This June it's going to be ten years since I quit smoking. From the first anniversary on, I have been celebrating the occasion like a second birthday, getting myself, among other goodies (tools, leather for leatherworking), two Pelikans. Last June we moved, so I didn't buy anything fancy, save for a few leatherworking tools. I'm still not sure whether there's a pen waiting for me this year as times have been a bit on the rough side. But I have an EF nib for my first generation Rotring Newton on the way to help me pass the time till I will eventually make up my mind ... :)

Are there any special – or maybe even unusual – anniversaries or occasions in your life that you have celebrated, or plan to celebrate, with a (special) pen?

Looking forward to reading your stories!

Cheers,
Adam

tandaina
June 1st, 2014, 10:48 AM
I have but don't do that a lot.

My most special pen (a Nakaya I designed) was delivered on the anniversary of my ordination. Didn't even plan it that way but now it is extra special. :)

Today is my birthday (yay!) and I'm really considering buying myself a pen... But I really want another Nakaya so really should be saving all pen money for that...

Nomdeplume
June 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM
I can come up with all kinds of "special" days as excuses to purchase new pens!
The first 'expensive' pen was to commemorate the receipt of my Ph.D. From then on, it could be getting a pen for signing a contract or getting my bonus or some achievement at work or birthday/anniversary.....I buy other pens at other times but the ones that are to mark some occasion do hold a special place in my 'collection'...they are not necessarily in my daily carry but when they are inked up it is to recall that occasion or bring up those good feelings!

Polyhistor
June 1st, 2014, 11:04 AM

My most special pen (a Nakaya I designed) was delivered on the anniversary of my ordination. Didn't even plan it that way but now it is extra special. :)

Today is my birthday (yay!) and I'm really considering buying myself a pen... But I really want another Nakaya so really should be saving all pen money for that...

Happy birthday, then! :cheers:

Polyhistor
June 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM
I can come up with all kinds of "special" days as excuses to purchase new pens!
The first 'expensive' pen was to commemorate the receipt of my Ph.D. From then on, it could be getting a pen for signing a contract or getting my bonus or some achievement at work or birthday/anniversary.....I buy other pens at other times but the ones that are to mark some occasion do hold a special place in my 'collection'...they are not necessarily in my daily carry but when they are inked up it is to recall that occasion or bring up those good feelings!

It's the same with me. I still remember miscellaneous details from the days I got them, each time I pick up one of them.

caribbean_skye
June 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Happy birthday Tandaina.

I do buy/get a special pen for Christmas/birthday and if I had significant achievements I would probably celebrate that way also. This is mostly because I dont buy a lot (if any) pens throughout the rest of the year.

johnus
June 1st, 2014, 04:43 PM
It's nice to be able to come across an item in a drawer or a box and have it help you to remember thoughts of the past.
A visual Madeleines as it were.

FayeV
June 1st, 2014, 04:57 PM

Happy Birthday!!!

I splurged on a Dupont Olympio many years ago because I graduated and got a job that allowed me to splurge a little, however, I wouldn't say that I bought the pen specifically for a "special occasion".

Right now I am researching my next pen, something a step up from the Lamy Safaris (and other cheapo pens) I've been picking up lately, which would either be an end-of-summer gift to myself (if it is a moderately priced pen) or a Christmas gift to myself (to allow some time to save up for a more expensive pen).

Tracy Lee
June 1st, 2014, 05:06 PM

Happy happy birthday! I have purchased a pen or two on big occasions, I bought my Jupiter when I had reached 15 years with NASA. The HS Crystal I have on order for the big deal we just negotiated for the launch pad. The Mazzi Dragon came on a birthday, or close enough. But it is more the exception than the rule for me.

stevekolt
June 1st, 2014, 05:19 PM
My most special pen is an Edison Menlo that I ordered in the colors of WVU. I used it to sign the sales contract for our house in NJ which allowed us to relocate to our vacation/retirement home here in WV. Happy birthday T!

fountainpenkid
June 1st, 2014, 05:21 PM
I did buy a pen when I graduated from eighth grade, a Pelikan M400 in Blue stripe. Other than that, no. I usually buy pens because they are what I want at that moment, not because they are supposed to commemorate anything. However I do plan on buying a really nice pen for myself when I graduate from high school next year.

Polyhistor
June 1st, 2014, 11:49 PM
You guys have inspired me to get myself something verrrry nice when I will finally have submitted my master's thesis which has been on hiatus for over a year and will still take some time to finish. Maybe even a custom-made pen, or a razor-pointed piece from Japan? Who knows ... :-)

By the way, I have decided on a pen for my anniversary: a Pilot 78g. I had one of these from elementary school up to university and finally ruined it by letting it sit for a long time with a Waterman Havana cartridge inside – green, crusty gunk galore. Only yesterday I learned on the forum that they are still being made and just had to order one. At 12€ shipped, it's a no-brainer.

amk
June 2nd, 2014, 03:57 AM
Not really, but I did get myself a Ranga ebonite when I passed my full motorbike test.

scrivelry
June 2nd, 2014, 05:19 AM
I have only been "into" pens for less than a year, and I have not had too many really sparkly events between then and now, but I did manage to convince other people to buy me pens as gifts on two occasions. (They were going to buy me presents anyway - it's not like I mugged strangers in the street and made them get me stuff...)

T

jokeruk
June 2nd, 2014, 12:51 PM
(They were going to buy me presents anyway - it's not like I mugged strangers in the street and made them get me stuff...)

Maybe that's the next thing to try ;)

scrivelry
June 2nd, 2014, 09:10 PM
(They were going to buy me presents anyway - it's not like I mugged strangers in the street and made them get me stuff...)

giggles maybe I will have to consider that... "Yo! Go in that pawn shop and buy me a fountain pen or I will mess you up!!!!"

I do have a few nibs that could probably pierce bone, now if I get myself a crossbow, I can properly threaten the...

wanders off mumbling new plan...

I like mango pudding
June 2nd, 2014, 10:43 PM
I will for Father's Day

Polyhistor
June 2nd, 2014, 11:43 PM

I don't know ... I mean, imagine the disappointment when you hinted at some special pen for some time – and get a Safari because, "You wanted a fountain pen, didn't you?!" ;) But if the gift-giving person knows what he/she is doing, that's of couse something else.

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 3rd, 2014, 08:26 AM
When I finished the rough draft of my novel, I purchased a pen (Edison Collier) to mark the occasion. Draft #2 got nothing, and draft #3 probably won't either. However, I think that if I ever manage to publish it, I will mark the occasion with a really nice pen.

StacyBean
June 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
I have gotten into the habit of purchasing a pen each year for my birthday.
This year's selection is a Delta Fusion 82 with a stub nib. I am looking forward to using it when the day arrives.
I also gift my brother with a pen each year as well.

Polyhistor
June 4th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Keep those stories coming! :)

scrivelry
June 4th, 2014, 09:33 AM

I don't know ... I mean, imagine the disappointment when you hinted at some special pen for some time – and get a Safari because, "You wanted a fountain pen, didn't you?!" ;) But if the gift-giving person knows what he/she is doing, that's of couse something else.

I have relatives who want lists that include what I want, where they can buy it, exact catalog or webpage, and would I please indicate color... Mostly they then ignore these and buy me clothing, but in one or two cases it pays off...

T

Runnin_Ute
June 7th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I did it with watches on birthday and Christmas and sometimes our anniversary for a while.

In 2013 I turned 55 and got a special pen for that (True Writer Silver Anniversary), Christmas was a Pelikan 120 M & K (NOS) and a Pelikan M205 in Toledo Red (purchased from Murfie), this year for my birthday it was one the Goulet's package deals. (notebook, pen & ink-Leuchtturn A5/Noodler's Black/Pilot Metropolitan)

GHCToolman
June 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Most of my pens have been purchased by my girlfriend for either my birthday or Christmas

Polyhistor
June 9th, 2014, 11:46 PM

I have relatives who want lists that include what I want, where they can buy it, exact catalog or webpage, and would I please indicate color... Mostly they then ignore these and buy me clothing, but in one or two cases it pays off...

T

As a teenager, I used to give my mother long lists of books that I'd like, in order to have a little surprise left on Christmas, birthdays, &c. – needless to say, she always managed to pick the ones I didn't want that bad ... :)

Polyhistor
June 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Most of my pens have been purchased by my girlfriend for either my birthday or Christmas

My girlfriend swears she would never buy me anything related to those of my hobbies she doesn't share for fear of getting me something wrong or something that I already have. She surprised me by knowing about my lusting after a white/tortoise M400, though. You never know ... ;)

tandaina
June 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM

My girlfriend swears she would never buy me anything related to those of my hobbies she doesn't share for fear of getting me something wrong or something that I already have. She surprised me by knowing about my lusting after a white/tortoise M400, though. You never know ... ;)

My husband knows how to go to a jewelry store (where he does good), or order from Amazon. The only time he's bought me a pen was when I worked it all out with Edison pens before hand, including giving them *his name* and then gave him *their number* to call and give them payment. ;-)

top pen
June 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I have gotten into this recently to curb the amount of money I am spending on pens. My parents have bought me nice fountain pens for my previous two birthday mile stones a rotring Freeway on my 18th and a dark grey Parker sonnet for my 21st. However I have decided to limit myself to 1 expensive a year know I have 10 pens I like. So after my final exams of each year I buy myself a quality pen, this year I opted for a Pelikan M200 next I'm thinking a Pilot Vanishing point. I do this as I find exams very stressful so a nice pen acts as a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hawk
June 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM
What's wrong with that? My family is getting me a fountain pen that I want for my birthday/Father's Day. I picked it out, paid for it and it will be shipped to my lovely wife. You know, I don't even have to act surprised.

Polyhistor
June 11th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Sounds like a good plan to keep yourself going during that stressful time. I bought myself a new (though not expensive) pen for writing my final exams in high school. It worked. ;)

Polyhistor
June 11th, 2014, 12:27 AM
What's wrong with that? My family is getting me a fountain pen that I want for my birthday/Father's Day. I picked it out, paid for it and it will be shipped to my lovely wife. You know, I don't even have to act surprised.

If you like it that way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I like a little surprise now and then – even if it holds the potential risk of not quite getting what I wanted. But with fountain pens I tend to be too picky to allow for surprises. :-)

("What? You got me an M nib? – After 32 years you got me an M nib?" ... It's that kind of scenes that pave the way to domestic hell, I guess. :-D )

Scrawler
June 11th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Belated "Happy Birthday" Tandaina, sorry I missed this thread due to being distracted by work.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought "special occasion" was one such as a signing ceremony for a corporate merger, or some such other, not as a celebratory thing. I have never bought a pen to celebrate, but I have bought pens for signing special documents. I bought one when I became master of my masonic lodge, to use for the formal signing of documents. But the purchase was not self-congratulatory, it was for symbolism in my office. I bought one for a signing ceremony to show intent for a corporate agreement in Asia. I will buy one to sign the documents of sale if I sell my company. But I have never bought one for a birthday or other such milestone.

HeresyHammer
June 11th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I don't so much buy a pen to commemorate an occasion, but I do like to align my pen purchases with the seasons. Usually, I'll look for a pen every three months so. That way I have a pen to carry me through Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn. For instance, my "Summer" purchase just a few weeks ago was a Visconti Opera Elements with a palladium nib. I'm already beginning to save for the "Fall" pen, which I hope to buy in late August. I'm looking at a Delta Dolcevita. (It just reminds me of October with the black and orange.) For Christmas and the winter season, I hope to have enough money saved for a Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian Grand. For some reason, in my mind, the Viceroy Victorian reminds me of Christmas, ice, and snowfall. I hope all goes as planned :)