PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pens - tell me about your favorite

Toulouse
June 1st, 2014, 03:21 PM
What is your favorite pocket pen? For me, a pocket pen is one that easily fits in a front pocket of my pants. Pens that I know of that would fit my definition include: Kaweco Sport pens and the Franklin-Christoph Model 40 Pocket. But I'm sure there are others....
Please share your experiences with pocket pens - I'm in the market for a step up from the Pilot Petit 1 that I'm currently using.

writingrav
June 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM
Well, you know my answer to that one: Kaweco Sport, thought the F-C Model 40 is on my list for sometime this year.

fpquest
June 1st, 2014, 03:30 PM
An obvious choice, Kaweco AL Sport is my pocket pen of choice. It used to be a Pilot VP since its retractable, its a little big but easy to pull out and use.

ardgedee
June 1st, 2014, 03:39 PM
I've become really fond of my Muji pocket pen, even though the nib is broader than I usually like.

Toulouse
June 1st, 2014, 03:39 PM
Well, you know my answer to that one: Kaweco Sport, thought the F-C Model 40 is on my list for sometime this year.

I do like my F-C 40, but it is a little expensive for me to have banging around with my keys. And I know how much you love your Kaweco Sports :) ... they're currently at the top of my list because the price is about right for me.

gbryal
June 1st, 2014, 04:13 PM
My Al-Star is full of scratches and dents from riding in my pocket. It doesn't mind. It suffers so my other pens don't have to. I think any of my metal pens, like my x450/x750 or Nemosine Fission could handle it too. My worry is a pen breaking when I sit.

That said, I got a little telescoping Camlin for free with an order that is small enough that it might be able to do the job too.

KBeezie
June 1st, 2014, 04:14 PM
My current favorite 'pocket' pen is a Pilot Elite "Big Cap" from the late 70s sold by SpeerBob (it's a korean made version of the Pilot Elite Mini with an extra-fine steel nib), for about $22.

The cap is metal, the little end cap is plastic, but most of the pen when capped is protected. (it does post all the way to the ring when the sticker is removed)

I have a Japanese made version of the Pilot Elite Mini with a 18K Soft Fine nib coming, should probably be here tomorrow if not tuesday, identical size and look as the above, except the nib is a little larger and 18K gold instead of steel. That ran me $26 + $10 shipping, the Pilot Elite Mini seems to go for 25 to 40 on ebay when it's listed in auction format (though not always with a soft fine, sometimes just a fine, or medium, or posting or 'script' nib, but all are 18K)

The Steel Nib does have a tiny amount of flex (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked/rhodia_inked_may30.jpg) to it.

writingrav
June 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM

I do like my F-C 40, but it is a little expensive for me to have banging around with my keys. And I know how much you love your Kaweco Sports :) ... they're currently at the top of my list because the price is about right for me.

Good point about the F-C 40, but I still want one. The Classic Sports and Ice Sports are an incredible value and I use them as eye droppers so they hold a ton of ink. The AL series are cool, more money but still a value but you have to use either cartridges or the not so great squeeze converter. The Art Sport is more expensive still but is really good looking and can be used as an eyedropper. I'm waiting for a vintage piston filler to arrive in the mail. Should be the best of both worlds.

reprieve
June 1st, 2014, 04:24 PM
My favorite pocket pen is my Kaweco AL Sport in raw aluminum. It's heavy duty enough to stand up to a few knocks and its fine nib always starts up immediately even after sitting unused for a few days. It lives in the pen loop of my Hobonichi planner's cover and I can toss it in my bag without worrying about the pen getting banged up.

I have a Franklin Christoph 40P in solid emerald with a wonderful Masuyama broad stub nib. I use it as an eyedropper. I love the pen, I love the nib, but I carry it with my other pens in a pen case as I don't want it to get scratched (and I don't quite trust an eyedropper-filled pen rolling around in the bottom of my bag).

I also have a silver Kaweco Liliput that has held up well to banging about in my purse. It is so tiny, though, that it has been (temporarily) lost twice. But I like it a lot because it's small enough to fit in a women's sweater pocket or even the rare shirt pocket.

I recently acquired a red Pilot Stargazer, which turned out to be being surprisingly small. The fine nib is very fine and smooth and a reliable writer. I carry this one clipped to my shirt sometimes and it's small enough to fit in some of my sweater or blazer pockets.

The Pelikan M300 is a nice pocket pen also, but, much like the Franklin Christoph 40P, a bit too nice to abuse. On the other hand, it's a piston filler! And it has been made in some lovely colorful finishes (I have the orange one).

Oh, I almost forgot the Stipula Passaporto. I have a few of the early ones, with the threaded barrel ends for posting, and I quite like them. They offer a steel italic nib option, which is nice. They can be used as eyedroppers or cartridge pens. I use them as eyedroppers. They're nice for traveling but for whatever reason they don't stay in my regular rotation (not quite sure why, hmm…).

reprieve
June 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM
The post above about the Pilot Elite reminded me of my Pilot M90. I love that one--the metal barrel and cap are nice and hardy. They're expensive now though (if you can find one). I also have a vintage-ish MYU 701, which is very similar. The nibs on both pens are just fantastic.

KBeezie
June 1st, 2014, 04:34 PM
The post above about the Pilot Elite reminded me of my Pilot M90. I love that one--the metal barrel and cap are nice and hardy. They're expensive now though (if you can find one). I also have a vintage-ish MYU 701, which is very similar. The nibs on both pens are just fantastic.

Except on the "Big Cap" one that's made in Korea, the end cap (or I guess what would have 'technically' been the barrel if not for the huge section) is plastic.

I think the end cap on the the Pilot Elite Mini that's coming is metal, because it has a "18K" Stamp under a triangle on it in the picture with a texture that implies it's metal.

But yes, when I was doing a search for "Pilot Elite Mini", all the buy-it-now listings were over $100, but when I looked at auction history they only went for around 25 to 40 with a variety of different 18K nibs. I *think* the Pilot Elite 95S is probably the modern equivalent to them now.

Kaputnik
June 1st, 2014, 06:01 PM
Well, I don't carry fountain pens that way. Even my T-shirts have pockets, and that's what they're for. I do have some pen slips, and I'll occasionally carry a fountain pen in a cargo pants leg pocket, if I'm wearing cargo pants.

If I were going to carry one in a front pants pocket, though, my Parker 51 Demi is certainly small enough. So is the Kaweco Liliput. Of the two, the Parker is the better writer, but the Kaweco is not bad at all. My Esterbrook SJs are small enough too, but I'd hate to scratch the celluloid, and carrying a lever filler in a way where the the lever might catch on something seems like a bad idea.

Oh, and I do carry a pen in a front pants pocket most of the time, but it's a ballpoint. Fisher Bullet Space Pen as an emergency backup.

jokeruk
June 1st, 2014, 06:36 PM
I've noticed no-one has mentioned the Pilot Petit 1 - any opinions on that, as I've been looking at one.

Especially for the price!

KBeezie
June 1st, 2014, 06:40 PM
I've noticed no-one has mentioned the Pilot Petit 1 - any opinions on that, as I've been looking at one.

I've only seen it on JetPens for under $4 and I'm not particular a fan of completely clear plastic pens (especially plastic in my pocket).

Here's a review of it by one of my favorite youtube reviewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOBNHnMpOOY

Honestly though if you've 'been' looking for one, the price seems like you could just get it to try it (I usually feel that way of anything under the $5 mark that has me wondering about it for a long period of time).

PS: The op mentioned the Petit1 as one he's using now.

Kaputnik
June 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM

I threw a couple in on a JetPens order once. They're not bad at all, write about like a Varsity as I recall. My main problem with them was that they just aren't comfortable in my hand. I haven't used mine in over a year, maybe closer to two. They use a special short cartridge, which can be refilled of course, but the Pilot converters are all too long. Might be possible to eyedropper them, but I haven't tried it.

Brisboy
June 1st, 2014, 07:47 PM
Love my guider pocket pen and my ohto rook. Pilot petit goes ok too.

jar
June 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM
No pen should ever be put in a pants pocket.

It really is that simple.

KBeezie
June 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM

Sometimes you don't have a choice other than to leave it at home since I don't have many shirts with pockets, and I don't wear tight fitting pants either. And with the weather the way it's been, sometimes that's all you got, pants and a shirt, no jacket etc. Unless you want to be seen with a fanny pack just for one pen.

PS: It's been said the same of Cellphones (mostly smartphones) and such too :D

Nomdeplume
June 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM
Stipula Passoporto!

Lady Onogaro
June 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM
I don't keep a pen in my pocket, but I do keep one in my handbag. It's usually the Sailor Clear Candy or the Pilot Kakuno, although right now I have this very cute little pen gifted me from a kind person on this list when I bought his Lamys. It caps, but there's a little retractable nib in it. So cute! I do occasionally carry my Kaweco Music pen, but the nib is not a favorite.

I have a Pilot Petit 1, but I don't carry it in my purse. I'm not sure why not except that I have really thought to.

jokeruk
June 1st, 2014, 10:31 PM

I've only seen it on JetPens for under $4 and I'm not particular a fan of completely clear plastic pens (especially plastic in my pocket).

Here's a review of it by one of my favorite youtube reviewers.

Honestly though if you've 'been' looking for one, the price seems like you could just get it to try it (I usually feel that way of anything under the $5 mark that has me wondering about it for a long period of time).

PS: The op mentioned the Petit1 as one he's using now.

I'm not quite sure why I had thought about it, just came across it at some point and thought about getting one considering they are dirt cheap. I've got to admit that I wasn't sure about the clear plastic bit!

earthdawn
June 1st, 2014, 10:55 PM
Gets it done all day...

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/f8afb1e5-e6fd-46d8-963d-2a5412674a5e_zps340a8817.png (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/f8afb1e5-e6fd-46d8-963d-2a5412674a5e_zps340a8817.png.html)

dneal
June 2nd, 2014, 01:56 AM

I beg to differ. The Kaweco Sport and Liliputs are very well suited to pocket carry. As is the FC clipless Model 40 Pocket

From a different thread:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/PocketCarry002_zps919e9441.jpg

discopig
June 2nd, 2014, 02:05 AM
My current favorite 'pocket' pen is a Pilot Elite "Big Cap" from the late 70s sold by SpeerBob (it's a korean made version of the Pilot Elite Mini with an extra-fine steel nib), for about $22.

The cap is metal, the little end cap is plastic, but most of the pen when capped is protected. (it does post all the way to the ring when the sticker is removed)

I have a Japanese made version of the Pilot Elite Mini with a 18K Soft Fine nib coming, should probably be here tomorrow if not tuesday, identical size and look as the above, except the nib is a little larger and 18K gold instead of steel. That ran me $26 + $10 shipping, the Pilot Elite Mini seems to go for 25 to 40 on ebay when it's listed in auction format (though not always with a soft fine, sometimes just a fine, or medium, or posting or 'script' nib, but all are 18K)

The Steel Nib does have a tiny amount of flex (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/inked/rhodia_inked_may30.jpg) to it.

I've actually been curious about those, they look pretty nice.

AndyT
June 2nd, 2014, 04:02 AM
Assuming that we're really just talking about small pens, comfortably the favourite is my Waterman 351V. Seen here in company with an Ice Sport and a Petit 1 - the latter being a super little pen at the price, albeit with a rather flimsy looking clip.

But were it really a matter of putting a pen in a trouser pocket, it would be something cheap and robust like a Baoer 388 or a Platignum Studio.

Polyhistor
June 2nd, 2014, 05:09 AM

I beg to differ. The Kaweco Sport and Liliputs are very well suited to pocket carry. As is the FC clipless Model 40 Pocket

From a different thread:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/PocketCarry002_zps919e9441.jpg

Ah, go away! Each time I see that pic, it makes me want a Liliput even more ... ;)

Can't beat Kaweco for pocket carry. I wouldn't want to part with my Sport. Unless someone offered me an EF Liliput in exchange, that is. :)

Toulouse
June 2nd, 2014, 06:29 AM
Love my guider pocket pen and my ohto rook. Pilot petit goes ok too.

What's the nib like on the Guider? Is it available with an EF nib?

Brisboy
June 2nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
Nice and smooth. Works consistently for me. Mine's a fairly wide fine. You'd have to ask mesu (who sells them here on the forum) if he has an ef but I know it takes a #5 nib.

GHCToolman
June 2nd, 2014, 07:37 AM
I keep a Kaweco Sport in my wallet at all times. Works great.

KBeezie
June 2nd, 2014, 09:04 AM
I keep a Kaweco Sport in my wallet at all times. Works great.

... how big is your wallet?

GHCToolman
June 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM

Here's how I do it, notice the pen on the left side

ac12
June 2nd, 2014, 10:33 AM
Ohto Tasche.
Nice and compact, fits next to my wallet, in my FRONT pants pocket.

amk
June 2nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
No one's mentioned vintage pens yet. I have a number of ringtops and some Junior size duofolds and Osmia 'minors' which are delightful to use - fat enough to be comfortable despite their reduced length.

On the other hand I find the Eversharp Bantam and Conway Stewart Dinky just too small for comfortable use.

Among modern pens, I go for the Kaweco Sport - but again, there's a vintage option, the old style piston fillers. I'm still looking for an affordable one... missed out on a few on the Bay.

While these are 'pocket pens' I certainly wouldn't put them in a pocket. Fortunately since I work at home most days, my pens can stay happily and safely on my desk.

fountainpenkid
June 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
The Pilot Stargazer, just reviewed by Dan, looks really good. Its metal construction is a plus for durability, and if that nib he had wasn't an outlier, it probably will have the best standard nib of any pocket pen. I think the Parker 51 Demi is a good option as well, especially the aerometric models. Personally, I use a Parker Vacumatic, but they can sometimes burp if you are really low on ink and it is hot out, so I don't think they're always going to be there for you in extreme conditions. There is a new version of the Pilot Elite sold on jet pens right now; that might be worth looking at as well. There are many good options out there, and in the end, it really comes down to comfort and aesthetics.

fountainpenkid
June 2nd, 2014, 03:18 PM
No one's mentioned vintage pens yet. I have a number of ringtops and some Junior size duofolds and Osmia 'minors' which are delightful to use - fat enough to be comfortable despite their reduced length.

On the other hand I find the Eversharp Bantam and Conway Stewart Dinky just too small for comfortable use.

Among modern pens, I go for the Kaweco Sport - but again, there's a vintage option, the old style piston fillers. I'm still looking for an affordable one... missed out on a few on the Bay.

While these are 'pocket pens' I certainly wouldn't put them in a pocket. Fortunately since I work at home most days, my pens can stay happily and safely on my desk.

Vintage piston fillers are certainly a good option, as long as they're well restored. Lever and other sac fillers might be good as well because the ink chamber is less likely to burp ink due to the lack of direct contact between one's leg and the air in the ink chamber.

AndyT
June 2nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
No one's mentioned vintage pens yet.

My Waterman was made in 1930 - something. There's also this baby Swan SM112B/60 from the same period:

Both are a practical size when posted, and about 4½" capped. The Swan is a wet noodle, though, and not such a practical everyday pen.

HughC
June 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
I think I'm going to stick with a shirt pocket for a pen!! but if really forced having read the topic I'd lean to a clipless Kaweco Sport. I guess with the trend to pocketless shirts these will become more common in the future. Still as you get older a bag makes a lot of sense for the glasses ( far out !! some of those sun glasses come with cases that will never fit in a pocket), the 'phone, the ipad , the note book ....

Regards
Hugh

KBeezie
June 2nd, 2014, 06:07 PM
No one's mentioned vintage pens yet.

Pretty sure my Pilot Elites from the 70s counts as vintage. :)

By the way the Elite Mini (with 18K Soft Fine) from Japan arrived today. Some pics comparing it to the Elite "Big Cap" (Steel Extra-Fine) from Speerbob.

VertOlive
June 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
Gets it done all day...

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/f8afb1e5-e6fd-46d8-963d-2a5412674a5e_zps340a8817.png (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/f8afb1e5-e6fd-46d8-963d-2a5412674a5e_zps340a8817.png.html)

What pen is this?! I like!

kaisnowbird
June 2nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
My shirts usually don't have pockets and I do occasionally carry a pen in my pants' right-side pocket. Such a pen always has a good clip and when I do that, I don't usually put anything hard in that pocket, so there is little chance of scratches. This allows me to confidently carry cheap and expensive pens alike.

I'd rather carry a smaller pen, but sometimes a normal size one gets in there too (eg. Pilot Metro, Pilot VP, even a Visconti). My favourite pocket pen is probably my Sailor Sapporo raspberry red (comfortable for long sessions, fairly compact to carry, and good looking) and a vintage faceted Vanishing Point (lighter and slimmer than the modern VPs, and super convenient one-click and go).

earthdawn
June 2nd, 2014, 08:57 PM
Gets it done all day...

Clear Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen w/Gold clip ~ True workhorse and man does it take beating and keep on trucking'

AND it is a super smooth writer !!!

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Classic-Sport-Fountain-Pen-Broad-Nib-Clear-Body/pd/6628

VertOlive
June 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Gets it done all day...

Clear Kaweco Classic Sport Fountain Pen w/Gold clip ~ True workhorse and man does it take beating and keep on trucking'

AND it is a super smooth writer !!!

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Classic-Sport-Fountain-Pen-Broad-Nib-Clear-Body/pd/6628

Why can I see gold under the cap of your pen but in the link it looks whitish?

earthdawn
June 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM
It could be the light... I took it a "Pen in Pocket" selfie lol...

Heres a pic of it in regular lighting literally 2 minutes ago

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/55119C1D-5177-4ABC-9E25-C8FC7B8B49E3_zpsq7r9vsii.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/55119C1D-5177-4ABC-9E25-C8FC7B8B49E3_zpsq7r9vsii.jpg.html)

KBeezie
June 2nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
Looks like you removed the inner cap (the white piece VertOlive was talking about). I think that piece is only there to keep the nib from drying out (either that or to make the cap look prettier when the specks of ink isn't as visible).

Any chance you can show that pen next to something like currency or something else to get an idea of it's size, I know Kaweco are small, but I always see them photographed by themselves that I never really get an idea of just how small.

VertOlive
June 2nd, 2014, 09:44 PM
Looks like you removed the inner cap (the white piece VertOlive was talking about). I think that piece is only there to keep the nib from drying out (either that or to make the cap look prettier when the specks of ink isn't as visible).

Yes, my Mini TWSBI has a greyish liner in its cap that some people remove for appearance sake. Thought it might be the same deal...

earthdawn
June 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
Sorry.. YES I took out that ugly inner cap. It stays perfectly wet and writes every time... every time. It is one of the few pens I can say has not once had a hard start.

Here ya go...

Mont Blanc 146 ~ Kaweco Sport ~ TWSBI mini

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/911802AF-688E-4CE0-9245-F16F7B6965CB_zpsjaqi8qw6.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/911802AF-688E-4CE0-9245-F16F7B6965CB_zpsjaqi8qw6.jpg.html)

KBeezie
June 2nd, 2014, 10:00 PM
:P Nice buttons.

Cob
June 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
1202612027Like others here I would never keep a pen in my trousers...

I liked the Swan SF112B shown earlier.

Here are my two old mini pens.

First at 11cm capped,the Swan SF100B and then at 11.5cm the Wyvern ring-top.

Rgds

Cob

Cob
June 4th, 2014, 04:12 AM
How embarrassing: I forgot. There are two more, both about 11.5cm

The Parker Lucky Curve Duofold Junior I have up for sale on a well-known auction site, and the lovely Swan 230B/60 which sadly has the wrong cap. I am lucky in that they both have glorious nibs.

Cob1204312045

dneal
June 4th, 2014, 05:26 AM
For those that choose not to carry any pen in their pocket:

Perhaps it would be more useful to say why you make this choice, so that the OP and others might give consideration to your reason(s). All I see now are subtle admonishments or incredulous remarks along the lines of "it's just not done".

AndyT
June 4th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Um, it depends on the pocket and the pen.

Inside jacket pocket - so long as the pen has a clip that's fine.

Shirt pocket - needs a reasonably stiff clip, and to be short enough.

Trouser pocket - not for me. That's where I like to keep things like nuts, bolts, nails, keys, drill bits, spindle moulder cutters, penknives, sawdust and so forth in them ... you know, just the usual sort of stuff everybody carries around with them. Not the ideal environment for a pen really. And if I'm not carrying that stuff around I'll invariably have a shirt or jacket pocket anyway.

And some pens really deserve to ride around in style in a pouch, especially the clipless variety. Like this one:

(My apologies for that. I know most people find that sort of picture gratuitous and tasteless, but I couldn't resist). :)

dneal
June 4th, 2014, 11:58 AM

This is the key, IMHO. 27 years as a soldier (so far), wearing a uniform with lots of pockets, I've become somewhat of an expert of what kinds of things should or shouldn't go in various pockets... ;)

In general, I wouldn't carry a pen in a front pants pocket (not even a cheap ballpoint). Mainly because it's an easy way for them to get broken and then leak. There are some exceptions though. A Fisher Space Pen, for example, is no problem. A Kaweco Sport managed a year in Kandahar with no issues. I'm confident in the liliputs and FC model 40 as well, based on their size, materials and design (when capped). There are probably similar styles that would also be suitable.

RuiFromUK
June 4th, 2014, 01:13 PM
At the moment I am carrying a Swan 1060 in my shirt pocket when I go to work. Asking for trouble I know...

Cob
June 4th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Inside jacket pocket - so long as the pen has a clip that's fine.

Shirt pocket - needs a reasonably stiff clip, and to be short enough.

Trouser pocket - not for me. That's where I like to keep things like nuts, bolts, nails, keys, drill bits, spindle moulder cutters, penknives, sawdust and so forth in them ... you know, just the usual sort of stuff everybody carries around with them. Not the ideal environment for a pen really. And if I'm not carrying that stuff around I'll invariably have a shirt or jacket pocket anyway.

And some pens really deserve to ride around in style in a pouch, especially the clipless variety. Like this one:

(My apologies for that. I know most people find that sort of picture gratuitous and tasteless, but I couldn't resist). :)

Hear hear to that (my trouser pockets have a pocket knife, keys, change and quite often other junk.
What a beautiful pen; what is it?

Cob

gbryal
June 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM
If we are talking about shirt pockets, I don't think I have a pen that doesn't fit in mine. I'm 6' tall and I guess all of my pockets are big enough for an Edison Hudson. If I am worried about structure or leakage, I have a pack of clear plastic pocket protectors that I'm not afraid to use. So all of my pens are pocket pens in that regard.

Cob
June 4th, 2014, 01:28 PM
At the moment I am carrying a Swan 1060 in my shirt pocket when I go to work. Asking for trouble I know...

Grrr I really quite fancy a 1060!

A 4461 arrived today (No 4 nib) It's really nice I must say - and FAT! Totally off-topic here I'm afraid.

P.S. I have put the three grey ones up as a lot on you-know-where; I need to rationalise - there's another Swan on the way as it is and I want to buy a decent eye-dropper or two.

Cob

AndyT
June 4th, 2014, 04:19 PM
A Kaweco Sport managed a year in Kandahar with no issues.

That's about as ringing an endorsement as I've ever seen. It's a fantastic utilitarian design.

Thank you. It's a BCHR Blackbird, apparently just known as the Blackbird Black; the presentation date on the band is January 1929. I've noticed that there seems to have been an influx of Mabie Todd fanciers recently and thought it was worth reposting the picture.

Cob
June 4th, 2014, 05:03 PM
That's about as ringing an endorsement as I've ever seen. It's a fantastic utilitarian design.

Thank you. It's a BCHR Blackbird, apparently just known as the Blackbird Black; the presentation date on the band is January 1929. I've noticed that there seems to have been an influx of Mabie Todd fanciers recently and thought it was worth reposting the picture.

Ah yes, well Mabie, Todd and Co. (I might have guessed - or at least, should have!). That company made so many different models and so many stunningly beautiful pens - most in excellent taste it must be said; no wonder there's an "influx!" And on top of that, a very high percentage of their output - at least as far as I know, are delightful when fulfilling their intended function - M,T made wonderful nibs.

Thanks again for posting the picture; phew! What a beauty!

Best wishes,

Cob

dannzeman
June 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM
http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/pilot-stargazer-fountain-pen-review-0238-798x532.jpg (http://fpgeeks.com/2014/06/pilot-stargazer-fountain-pen-review/)

Definitely the Pilot Stargazer for me. Check out my review (http://fpgeeks.com/2014/06/pilot-stargazer-fountain-pen-review/) for more info.

Lady Onogaro
June 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM
For those that choose not to carry any pen in their pocket:

Perhaps it would be more useful to say why you make this choice, so that the OP and others might give consideration to your reason(s). All I see now are subtle admonishments or incredulous remarks along the lines of "it's just not done".

My "trousers" are usually jeans, and the pockets just aren't deep enough to carry any kind of pen in. I wouldn't trust it to not get damaged or to fall out. And I don't wear shirts or blouses with pockets, generally.

I could see using a ringtop pen of some kind, and I can see myself using that pen loop that Franklin-Christoph makes.

In the main, I just don't think most women's clothing is made with functional pockets.

KBeezie
June 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM
On the rare occasion that I do have a shirt with pockets in front, the Pilot Elite Mini fits nicely into it. (That's like maybe one of ... 3 shirts I have with a pocket in front, or this case pockets on both sides).

The bottom of the pen is just below the bottom of the lower flap. But that's not saying much because the top/inner pocket can hold up to the height of a Jinhao 599 (metal) or a Faber-Castall BASIC, both of which I find to be pretty tall. It could even hold a Jinhao 159... but then I'd be wondering why my shirt is falling off to one side.

Sandy Fry
June 5th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Lanbitou "Cigarette" pen.

David

RuiFromUK
June 5th, 2014, 02:19 AM

A 4461 arrived today (No 4 nib) It's really nice I must say - and FAT! Totally off-topic here I'm afraid.

P.S. I have put the three grey ones up as a lot on you-know-where; I need to rationalise - there's another Swan on the way as it is and I want to buy a decent eye-dropper or two.

Cob

Sorry Cob. I am not sure what I was on yesterday but the Swan I was referring to is not a 1060 but a torpedo shaped 2060 with a #6 nib. According to someone in another forum this is probably an early 4660 still marked as 2060.

On the other hand it hasn't got a Swan nib but a #6 Phillips nib which is also an excellent writer.

Wow I never realised you were selling the Swans.

Cob
June 5th, 2014, 02:30 AM

Cob

Sorry Cob. I am not sure what I was on yesterday but the Swan I was referring to is not a 1060 but a torpedo shaped 2060 with a #6 nib. According to someone in another forum this is probably an early 4660 still marked as 2060.

On the other hand it hasn't got a Swan nib but a #6 Phillips nib which is also an excellent writer.

Wow I never realised you were selling the Swans.

Double Grrr! A 2060! Gosh. That monster is even more off-topic than my 4461. I believe that the Phillips nibs were very good.

One day I am going to have to try to get to the bottom of Swan's numbering system. The colours are reasonably straightforward (I think) but the rest of it! Ha!

I am NOT selling all the Swans, by a long chalk, but as I said, I do have to rationalise a bit. I thought that the three greys would make an attractive lot for a serious collector. There's a nice 3260 that will go soon as well I think. What I am waiting for is a double banded SF130 or a full-size 230 - with the right cap and of course a nib to die for!

Best wishes

Cob

Cob
June 5th, 2014, 02:32 AM
On the rare occasion that I do have a shirt with pockets in front, the Pilot Elite Mini fits nicely into it. (That's like maybe one of ... 3 shirts I have with a pocket in front, or this case pockets on both sides).

The bottom of the pen is just below the bottom of the lower flap. But that's not saying much because the top/inner pocket can hold up to the height of a Jinhao 599 (metal) or a Faber-Castall BASIC, both of which I find to be pretty tall. It could even hold a Jinhao 159... but then I'd be wondering why my shirt is falling off to one side.

Great picture!

RuiFromUK
June 5th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Double Grrr! A 2060! Gosh. That monster is even more off-topic than my 4461. I believe that the Phillips nibs were very good.

One day I am going to have to try to get to the bottom of Swan's numbering system. The colours are reasonably straightforward (I think) but the rest of it! Ha!

I am NOT selling all the Swans, by a long chalk, but as I said, I do have to rationalise a bit. I thought that the three greys would make an attractive lot for a serious collector. There's a nice 3260 that will go soon as well I think. What I am waiting for is a double banded SF130 or a full-size 230 - with the right cap and of course a nib to die for!

Best wishes

Cob

You will be able to see the pen on Saturday as it is my daily writer at the moment.

If you want a very good reference for Swan pens I usually use John Brindle's website: http://www.mabietoddpenlists.co.uk/

Cob
June 5th, 2014, 03:54 AM

Best wishes

Cob

You will be able to see the pen on Saturday as it is my daily writer at the moment.

If you want a very good reference for Swan pens I usually use John Brindle's website: http://www.mabietoddpenlists.co.uk/

Yes I have been in contact with John: I sent him a photo of the (grey) 3130 as he had 3130 listed as Royal Blue. I believe in fact that 30 was the code for grey - hence the grey 4230 leverless I have.

Cob

gregamckinney
June 5th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I don't carry pens in my pants pockets, but do have a number of smaller, "pocket" pens for cases when I have shallow shirt pockets, or want to stow a pen in a small area of a briefcase or the car.
These include Sheaffer Tuckaways, Wahl Bantams and LeBoeuf No. 40 ringtop pens.
Best, greg

Uncle Bud
June 7th, 2014, 05:28 PM
If you don't mind your pen getting scuffed, i really like my Kaweco Al-Sport Raw it makes the pen very personal to you and how you use it. Mine is very beat up, but it reflects how I use it. Cheers

VertOlive
June 10th, 2014, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=dneal;82738]

In the main, I just don't think most women's clothing is made with functional pockets.

One minor exception being the scrub pants I wear into our "dirty lab". The side pockets are deep and roomy enough for a cell phone, gloves, disposable pipettes, and a small packet of ornamental shrimp food. Plenty of room for a mini.

That said, I'm still looking for the pen that will write on the slick labels and pulp paper we use around the labs.

KBeezie
June 11th, 2014, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=dneal;82738]

One minor exception being the scrub pants I wear into our "dirty lab". The side pockets are deep and roomy enough for a cell phone, gloves, disposable pipettes, and a small packet of ornamental shrimp food. Plenty of room for a mini.

That said, I'm still looking for the pen that will write on the slick labels and pulp paper we use around the labs.

Oddly other than the Jinhao pens I have, all of mine seem to write on those slick labels, just takes a while to dry though even with the extra-extra fine nib.

No clue what pulp paper is though.

Brian1
June 12th, 2014, 03:50 AM
My Montblanc Mozart pen with an old beat up Fisher bullet pen for size comparison. It fits nicely in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. Nothing else goes in there so I don't have to worry about scratches or anything else.

gwgtaylor
June 12th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Bexley Tuck-Away. It's compact but sports a ginormous 18k #6 nib. See pictures compared to a Kaweco Sport:

Also it threads to post and as you can see is massive at seven inches long.

LagNut
June 12th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Oddly other than the Jinhao pens I have, all of mine seem to write on those slick labels, just takes a while to dry though even with the extra-extra fine nib.

No clue what pulp paper is though.
Does your ink actually dry where it can be. handled? if so, what ink? I have problems with the labels I get with the ink vials from Goulet.

if you have ink that does work, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Mike

PS, I suspect you could replace "pulp" with "cheap", that would be my meaning...

Cob
June 12th, 2014, 07:19 AM
For very small pockets indeed - new arrivals. the black one is an eye dropper from Japan called the "Little 75"

Rgds

Cob

johnus
June 12th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Small pens aren't really my favorite. How small? If I have to post a cap to make me feel comfortable writing just a story note or phone number ... It's too small.

scrivelry
June 12th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Do my Sheaffer school carts count?

Icietla
June 15th, 2014, 02:36 AM
My pocket pen is an old Kaweco Sport pistonfiller from the 40s, fitted with a new Kaweco Sport nib in M. It is small enough to be carried in pants pockets. I never leave home without it. Here it is, accompanied by the lapis blue Parker Lady Duofold with ringtop. They don`t differ much in size. But I don`t count the Parker as a pocket pen. For me, a pocket pen must be rugged. This one is far too elegant.
http://i.imgur.com/5KrYVzZ.jpg

writingrav
June 15th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Is it crazy that I am now carrying 10 Kaweco Sports in my everyday case when they are supposed to be pocket pens? That said my new F-C #40 is my current favorite. The Matsuyama nib is a dream.

stevekolt
June 17th, 2014, 04:29 PM
An obvious choice, Kaweco AL Sport is my pocket pen of choice.

Pocket pen of choice here also. Waiting for one to be announced by Brian @ Edison Pens...just wishful thinking at this point :)

trhall
June 19th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Pocket pen of choice here also. Waiting for one to be announced by Brian @ Edison Pens...just wishful thinking at this point :)

Brian does make a pen called the Gem. He also makes a Mini Gem. If you search his Smugmug site you'll find images.

They're custom pens that a customer asked for but he'll make them for anyone. The cap threads onto the back of the barrel, IIRC.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for or not.

drgoretex
June 19th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Kaweco Liliput in brass - has become my EDC, sits in my change pocket. love this little pen.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Mobile%20Uploads/49E610DC-7858-4973-BFDF-D8A2AECE45C5_zpsqpxrrchg.jpg

Then there's my own 'Micro Pocket Pen' - I keep forgetting to keep one for me (soon to be rectified):

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/photo-6copy2_zps3baff012.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_7719_zps34a260fa.jpg

And, of course, my Stipula Passaporto

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/8DE540B1-F074-4BF4-BFF6-25DBE663C343_zpsypa0knks.jpg

and my Kaweco Al Sport

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/CC7A7FF6-1EE8-485B-8D10-A83CF0446D9F_zpsag1wyojf.jpg

Ken

stevekolt
June 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM
drgortex,
After seeing your brass Liliput, I just ordered mine. Do you by chance have a picture of it alongside your Al-Sport? Also, your Micro Pocket Pen is a looker for sure!

dgator
June 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
drgortex,
After seeing your brass Liliput, I just ordered mine. Do you by chance have a picture of it alongside your Al-Sport? Also, your Micro Pocket Pen is a looker for sure!

Steve,
Hope this helps. I enjoy writing with both pens.

stevekolt
June 19th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks dgator! Just what I was looking for!

stevekolt
June 19th, 2014, 10:06 PM

This is the key, IMHO. 27 years as a soldier (so far), wearing a uniform with lots of pockets, I've become somewhat of an expert of what kinds of things should or shouldn't go in various pockets... ;)

In general, I wouldn't carry a pen in a front pants pocket (not even a cheap ballpoint). Mainly because it's an easy way for them to get broken and then leak. There are some exceptions though. A Fisher Space Pen, for example, is no problem. A Kaweco Sport managed a year in Kandahar with no issues. I'm confident in the liliputs and FC model 40 as well, based on their size, materials and design (when capped). There are probably similar styles that would also be suitable.

dneal,
Sorry I missed your post earlier. This ex USN Hospital Corpsman (the p is silent) would like to say "thank you" for your service. :D

jde
June 22nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
We're all so "preferential!" (meant in a good way.)

My favorite pocket pens: my MYU 701, and a small Newton "Gibby." Also, the Pilot Decimo which I can clip to my shirt collar.

If something happened to those (spit on the ground, turn three times counter-clockways), I might get the Kaweco Liliput. Such a neat little pen, and glad to see so much love for it in this thread.

I'm a "pantser" with my pocket pens (except for the Decimo). They're my pens, after all, and I've learned which pens I can subject this treatment to. My jeans pockets are pretty deep. Wouldn't put a pen in a shallow pocket. Like a couple of other women have said, we don't always have shirt pockets. When it's not too hot, I wear a ScotteVest. It has two pen pockets.

Back in my, uh, ball point days, I always carried a Fisher Bullet pen on a chain around my neck. I've not found a reasonable substitute to rely upon in that manner in the form of a fountain pen. Less jostling in the pocket!

Mags
June 22nd, 2014, 09:15 PM
For my personal pocket pen I use a Binderized prototype Bexley Jitterbug with a broad nib.

top pen
June 23rd, 2014, 09:46 AM
I like the Parker 15 / Jotter fountain pen line especially my new Red GT a nice little pen

stevekolt
June 23rd, 2014, 11:00 PM
Got my Kaweco brass Lilliput today...very nice and fits right into my jeans change pocket. Definitely a winner here.

bzoto
June 24th, 2014, 12:38 AM
My old and abused Kaweco sport - it is from the 70s and has a 14K hooded nib. Alas, the cap is now cracked, so I don't use it anymore.

Mags
June 24th, 2014, 05:20 AM
My old and abused Kaweco sport - it is from the 70s and has a 14K hooded nib. Alas, the cap is now cracked, so I don't use it anymore.

Try the Apple Man. Chris Hughes can turn an overlay that fits over a barrel so a cap maybe possible too.

Jeph
June 24th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I am not counting shirt pockets, as that opens up far too many options. For that I prefer the Pelikan M100 or M150 just for the record.
All the goodness of a Pelikan in a light, thin body.

When I think of a pants pocket pen, this was my first thought:

Do my Sheaffer school carts count?

The old Sheaffer school cartridge pens are thin, light, properly tapered for pocket life, write really well and are nearly indestructible.

I also admit that the Kaweco sport is probably the true king of pants pocket pens, although I would have to snob (FPGeek?) out and use one of my old piston filler versions in its little pocket sleeve instead of one of the modern cartridge models.

paultyler_82
June 24th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I don't generally keep pens in my pants pocket, but on the rare occasion that I've had to do so, my TWSBI 540 has worked fine clipped to the corner of my pocket with the pen inside.
Somewhat on topic... on the topic of pockets at any rate... I have a shirt that I absolutely love; the pocket has a feature that I wish every shirt of mine had... A dedicated pen pocket! You see, one side of the pocket has vertical stitching that divides off a small section of the pocket, enough to sleeve a pen. The button down flap is not stitched to the shirt over the top of this pen pocket which allows even longer pens like my 540 to fit well, though I'm not sure how much thicker of a pen would fit. Too bad more shirts don't have a pocket like this, or at least deeper pockets.

Tsuki yo
June 25th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I just got a Stipula Passaporto that doesn't write. :( makes me sad because I love it. Just waiting to hear back from the Anderson's and hopefully I can get it fixed.

paultyler_82 Dickies brand work shirts are a nice button down that is super durable, stain resistant, with the same style pocket you mentioned. I don't know if it's stitched all the way down the pocket, but I know that my husband can fit just about anything in that pen-slit. The Jinhao 159 doesn't fit, but the Ahab and all of the TWSBI's do.

paultyler_82
June 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM
paultyler_82 Dickies brand work shirts are a nice button down that is super durable, stain resistant, with the same style pocket you mentioned. I don't know if it's stitched all the way down the pocket, but I know that my husband can fit just about anything in that pen-slit. The Jinhao 159 doesn't fit, but the Ahab and all of the TWSBI's do.
Thanks, I may have to look at some... or alter some of my favorite shirts the same way.

Austin_Malone
June 26th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Pilot Stargazer hands down.

Brooks803
June 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I made this one for myself a little over 2yrs ago. I keep it in my front pants pocket and haven't had any issues with it at all. 3 1/2" capped and 5" posted. Plus I can use this cool mini converter with it.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC04819687x700_zps22093a3c.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/DSC04819687x700_zps22093a3c.jpg.html)

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC04820677x700_zps8543db61.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/DSC04820677x700_zps8543db61.jpg.html)

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC04823587x700_zps800ce33a.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/DSC04823587x700_zps800ce33a.jpg.html)

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/Brooks803/DSC04825700x523_zpsf0aa9bdd.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/DSC04825700x523_zpsf0aa9bdd.jpg.html)

stevekolt
June 27th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Very nice work! Who makes the mini converter?

Brooks803
June 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks! You can find the mini converters at a few different places:

http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Mini-Piston-Converter.html

http://templarink.com/03_MiniConverter.html

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/fillers.htm

stevekolt
June 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks so much for the links, will definitely be placing an order!

HeresyHammer
July 2nd, 2014, 03:57 AM
My favorite pocket pen is a "Franken-Pen." I found a hard rubber pen with no name at an antique store. It's similar in size to a Waterman 52v but has no marking on the barrel or cap. The nib that was on the pen was so covered with dried ink and corroded that it took some time to get to the metal. It's still not fully cleaned and I'm not sure it ever will be. The original nib says "Manos Special." I cleaned and restored the pen and fitted it with an extra Waterman Ideal nib that I had laying around. So I call it my Waterman "Anon" Pocket Pen.

With the original feed to the pen and the Waterman nib, this little guy lays down a bucket of ink on the page. I mean, when writing, it looks like those fancy invitations with raised printing and yet, I haven't seen horrible feathering, even on computer paper. This is a curse and a blessing. A curse because it take about 1.5 minutes for PR American Blue Fast Drying ink to fully dry and over 2 minutes for Diamine Ancient Copper. However, it's a blessing, because when flexing this nib, I have yet to see it railroad... ever. The feed looks like the Grand Canyon.

All in all, it's a great pen that I attach to my pocket watch chain when wearing a vest and it hides away in those little vest pockets perfectly.

JerryVK
July 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the TWSBI Mini. I like mine (which I had Shawn Newton grind to a .5mm Cursive Italic), because it fits in my smallest pocket on various polo shirts as well as in my pants pockets. It holds a great deal of ink and weathers pockets quite well. I highly recommend this model.

Chi Town
July 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
I found an ONTO Rook from Jet Pens, for 16.50, it is about 3" long and very narrow and only takes cartridges. It comes in about 4 colors, but mine is; Aluminum with Orange trim, and it writes like a dream!

Brisboy
July 3rd, 2014, 02:17 AM
I love mine too! I have it in the same colour. I've managed to squeeze in the kaweco squeeze converter. It doesn't really fit properly but it almost gets the job done. Had to push it in with a chopstick to get it seated in the section properly.

Plume145
July 4th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I really like the Luoshi cigarette pens! They're not for everyone because they are very small and slim with a very skinny nib and no clip, but they are the smallest fountain pen I know of. The best part for me is that the nib is hooded with just the very tip showing, which makes the nib VERY slow to dry out. It's remarkable! I'm pretty sure I filled mine before Christmas and it still starts right away.

I don't know if that's the case for you but for me a pocket pen is strictly for emergency use - if I know I'll be writing I take the flavor of the month - so the pocket pen needs to be okay with staying inked but unused for weeks at a time. The Luoshi is the only one I've found that does that and I have tried many smaller pens because I love miniatures.

Otherwise, I haven't really tried a mini pen that was bad! Except maybe the ohto tasche, it was pretty skippy and I thought the design was awkward, but that's the only one.

kaisnowbird
July 9th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Can't remember if I posted in this thread and at the risk of contradicting what I said before, my favourite pocket pen is the modern Parker Duofold Mini. (My review of the pen and three other pocket pens can be found here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4481-Four-way-shoot-out-a-review-of-mini-fountain-pens).

Lady Onogaro
July 9th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I like the Pilot Petit-1. The new ones are pretty cool looking, and they write well for a $4.00 pen. The nib gives some pretty nice shading on Rhodia paper.

ceebert
September 4th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I work with Autistic teens, and a pen in a shirt pocket is just too vulnerable - and tempting. So, I HIP pocket carry. I use a stainless Liliput. I like it. Sports are a bigger lump, but the plastic ones eyedropper so well - Diamine Registrars, and if it messes up a nib (someday), they’re $11.50! I haven’t tried cart-filling with DRI, but it won’t be long: I just bought a brass Liliput.

C’mon, the price was right! And Yeah, it took a brass shim overnight to wet up a #5 M enough to flow DRI.

azkid
September 5th, 2019, 07:51 AM
I like to carry my Safari in my front pants pocket clipped next to my pocket knife. It's pretty ideal for that I think.

Kaputnik
September 5th, 2019, 08:06 AM
I work with Autistic teens, and a pen in a shirt pocket is just too vulnerable - and tempting. So, I HIP pocket carry. I use a stainless Liliput. I like it...

That's an interesting special situation. Not sure what I'd do in your place, as I like having a fountain pen always with me, but strongly dislike carrying one in a pants pocket. I imagine I could do that with my Liliput, though, which isn't a favorite, but is certainly good enough. I have found, though, that the pocket clip for Fisher bullet style Space Pens will fit on a Liliput with a little widening, and stays on there very securely, so I can carry mine in a shirt pocket. Plus, it makes a good roll stopper if I put it down on a table.

mookie2112
September 5th, 2019, 12:20 PM

While I forgot my Parker Jotter, this is my collection of Pocket Pens: Franklin Christoph PP 20, Aurora Mini (just purchased from here yesterday!), Pilot Prera, 3 Kaweco Sports, Wing Sung "Space Pen", Stipula, and Moonman Mini.

Mookie

christof
September 5th, 2019, 01:33 PM
What a cool thread!!

I find pocket pens fascinating for a very long time but I am not sure which is my favourite...

I definitely like all generations of the Kaweco Sport:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4366/37002102591_a1bd15d73d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YnKrY4)Kaweco Sport 12G 1 von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/YnKrY4)

but I also like Pilot Birdies!

https://live.staticflickr.com/7818/33687530138_07158f4aa1_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TjRp49)Pilot birdie 1980 von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/TjRp49)

the Myu is a classic!!

https://live.staticflickr.com/1855/42723822470_c2f962ac5c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/286mKWN)Pilot Myu1970 von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/286mKWN)

...but for the moment, I like my Pilot Elite sterling silver most:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48479632642_ef38a40f57_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2gRYMMd)Pilot Elite Pocket Pen Sterling Silver 1975 von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/2gRYMMd)

What a fine pen!

C.

PS: I forgot to mention my Sheaffer's Tuckaway which was a present by Richard Binder:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4401/36330554983_0ac12358ef_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XmpAg2)Sheaffer's Tuckaway Sentinel von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/XmpAg2)

penwash
September 5th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I have a lot of pocket friendly vintage pens.

But one of my most favorite, which is atypical for me, is this modern pen:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4444/37487455586_e94894eea3_c.jpg

Monteverde Jewelria Mini in Barley pattern. Why do I like it? Because it successfully incorporate design aspects that pay homage to vintage ones, but at the same time be a unique offering (not another minimalistic, not another cigar-shaped, not another demonstrator, not another acrylic kaleidoscope, not another all metal tough EDC pen, not another ... insert your favorite modern pen design cliche here).

I rarely see this combination on any modern pens.

azkid
September 5th, 2019, 03:54 PM
My favorite pocket size pens are, top to bottom, Pilot Elite, Parker Duofold Jr., Parker Black-Tipped Jade Jr., and Pilot Stargazer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190905/1d024c1b1228150aa379aedc0207c7f0.jpg

Truth he told the Elite needs some nib work. The clip is great and I really like the long cap style so I kind of want to collect examples from other Japanese makers.

pajaro
September 5th, 2019, 06:33 PM
If I carry a pen in my pants pocket, its a Pelikan M300 green stripe, usually in a Cross leather pen carrier.

FredRydr
September 5th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Not gonna touch this one.

ceebert
September 7th, 2019, 03:11 PM
My favorite pocket size pens are, top to bottom, Pilot Elite, Parker Duofold Jr., Parker Black-Tipped Jade Jr., and Pilot Stargazer.

How do you like the Stargazer? I have a 95s (sweeet!), and briefly had a 74 (broken at work with Great Spectacle), and since then I’ve been Kawecos at work. The Stargazer - I hope - has the sense of presence/mass that makes a Liliput handle-able. I miss Pilot nibs, and Stargazers look cool.

azkid
September 7th, 2019, 07:38 PM
I like it quite a lot. It is on the heavier side, about the same weight as a Metropolitan. Nib (f) has quite a bit of feedback but is very nice to use. It came to me a wet writer. It is really quite attractive in person. The online pictures don't really capture it. I can definitely recommend it.

VertOlive
September 8th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I’ve been using my fat little Moonman Wancai as my traveling pen. It’s an eye dropper, doesn’t leak, and starts every time. At $12, I don’t fret about losing it or roughing it up.

ceebert
October 3rd, 2019, 05:03 PM
Hat tip to AZKID.

I now own a red Stella 90S - the JDM Stargazer - and it’s an instant favorite. There is juuust enough of everything about it to qualify as a great all-rounder, in a small package.

The body is just long enough that I can easily use it unposted to jot a note, and the weight of the brass body gives it enough presence to make it controllable. Posted, the balance is comfortable and easygoing, enough that long writing sessions are easy, better to enjoy the bouncy “little” nib (it’s about a #5.5-ish, maybe? Pictures coming, as soon as I take some). The nib flows Diamine Registrars just fine, and that stuff is sand! Normal-er inks flow in ripe lines. I got a Medium nib pending cursivification, and run Con-Bs in it (one IG, one not, and not to bother with all-of-that) and get to bulb flush my section! The snap-cap is quick in meetings where lots of time passes in between the noteworthy moments. Um... the clip... s’good. There. I’ve just comprehensively endorsed an out-of-production pen. I gush easy, sometimes.

In the course of my job, I write more in a week than I do in a full year as a hobby. A good work pen sees more of my regard than most all of my life’s other tools. And, by gum, this is my new best one! Thanks, azkid, for getting me over the top on this one.

zulicious
October 22nd, 2019, 11:23 AM
My favorite pen for everything, including pocket carry:
TWSBI mini AL blue with 1.1 stub nib.
I carry it in a blue Horween ChromExcel single sleeve.
Tomoe River FP notebook in ChromExcel leather cover.

TSherbs
October 23rd, 2019, 04:51 AM
Right now, for my shirt pocket at work, it's my Pelikan m200 (EF). My Decimo has a stub in it currently, so it has been staying at home more. I have some smaller pens, but I have not been using them as much.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Igraine
March 2nd, 2021, 10:29 AM
Most of my pens are on the smallish side, but I think the Kaweco Sport would be the pen I’d carry in my pocket,if I were going to carry a pen in my pocket...which I don’t do. The compact size, that it’s a consistent writer, and the affordable price (so no big deal if I lose it) are all good reasons it makes a good pocket pen.

Igraine
March 2nd, 2021, 10:39 AM
I have been carrying my Decimo at work the past few nights, though I know it’s a risky thing to do, as I am always losing pens or dropping them on the hard floor (I kill approx 3 to 5 gel pens a month from dropping them) So last night I left the Decimo on the counter at my work station and went off to do something...came back and a few minutes later realized it was gone!! I made everyone search their pockets, and wouldn’t you know, someone “accidentally” picked it up...

Igraine
March 2nd, 2021, 10:40 AM
I have been carrying my Decimo at work the past few nights, though I know it’s a risky thing to do, as I am always losing pens or dropping them on the hard floor (I kill approx 3 to 5 gel pens a month from dropping them) So last night I left the Decimo on the counter at my work station and went off to do something...came back and a few minutes later realized it was gone!! I made everyone search THEIR pockets, and wouldn’t you know, someone “accidentally” picked it up...

silverlifter
March 2nd, 2021, 10:47 AM
Kaweco AL Sport <F> inked with R&K Dokumentus Dunkleblau

Detman101
March 2nd, 2021, 10:58 AM
I have two pocket pens.
My favorite is my "Delike - Element"...."Elegy". :kiss3:
She's pocket sized, but big enough for my large hands to hold comfortably. I upgraded her to an ebonite feed and flex-nib and she writes beautifully.
When posted, she fits my hand perfectly. She's also tough enough to survive all of my outdoor adventures and functions and I don't have to worry about her getting broken like my other plastic pens.

The other is a 116 year old "Mabie Todd & Co - Swan" flexible nib pen.
This one is the size of a crayola crayon and I never use it because my hands hurt when I write with it. Imagine writing with a toothpick...that is what its like for me.
Its one of those "Nice to have" vintage flex pens that I bring out when we have guests. Other than that, it never sees the light of day.

An old bloke
March 2nd, 2021, 12:00 PM
The Diplomat Magnum is a good choice for a compact, durable pen to fit a trouser pocket.

penwash
March 2nd, 2021, 12:13 PM
I love my pocket-friendly Gold Bond pens:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50092201372_163be81617_c.jpg

christof
March 2nd, 2021, 10:05 PM
for the last couple of months it has been this vintage Platinum Pocket Pen:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50307976283_dfae03a726_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jDxwDr)Platinum Pocket Pen von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/2jDxwDr)

it's super sturdy and has a great and soft writing gold nib wich is grinded to use on both sides (EF/EEF)

fountainpenkid
March 3rd, 2021, 08:12 AM
Currently a Parker "51" cocoa. It's thin and light enough that it doesn't get in my way, and of course it behaves flawlessly. I don't find it nearly as pleasurable as my OMAS vest pockets, but those are good clipped into a shirt pocket, and I can rarely bring myself to wear a button-down.

mizgeorge
March 3rd, 2021, 08:51 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50307976283_dfae03a726_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jDxwDr)Platinum Pocket Pen von -C.M.Z- (https://flic.kr/p/2jDxwDr)

it's super sturdy and has a great and soft writing gold nib wich is grinded to use on both sides (EF/EEF)

I love that Platinum - I nearly bought one last month (though admittedly not in such a fab design) and I'm kicking myself now.

I have lots of 'little' pens - I like them :) They're one of the few times I seem to go for really colourful alternatives as well (perhaps because they're easier to find in the bottom of a bag etc. I use my set of frosted Kaweco sports with matched inks (admittedly, I had to go for grey for the white one!) all the time, but my current favourite is definitely my Pocket 6 from Schon Design.

It's a JoWo 1.1 stub and is inked with MB Psychedelic Purple having cobbled together a converter of sorts, but is just a joy to use.

I still want a vintage Kaweco sport with a piston though.

I left the house for only the fourth time in a year yesterday (to get my first covid jab) and had a bit of a moment when I realised I didn't have a pen with me.

kulnet
March 3rd, 2021, 12:24 PM
My two favorite literal pants pocket pens would be either the Kaweco Skyline Sport or the Schon Dsgn pocket six.

HerrFlik
March 4th, 2021, 01:57 AM
I always have a Kaweco Sport Skyline (Currently filled with Diamine Sargasso Sea) in my pocket coupled with a black code 849 for when a ballpoint is really needed.

Malcolm
March 6th, 2021, 02:18 AM
Without a doubt, my favourite pocket pen.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50536076056_931e57cecf_b.jpg

Kaweco Brass Sport.

TFarnon
March 6th, 2021, 10:49 PM
Longer than most pocket pens, but I love it: the (modern) Esterbrook JR. And if I'm wearing mens' trousers, then there is plenty of length in the pockets. I am also inordinately fond of the Kaweco Lilliput Fireblue.

FredRydr
March 7th, 2021, 03:49 AM
I used to own a couple of Stipula Passaportos ten years ago. The caps threaded on to the barrel for posting to lengthen the pen, like a Montblanc 114. I preferred the earlier design for its section shape (orange and black pen with factory stub). They are cartridge pens, but I used one as an eyedropper (you can see the silicon grease on the threads). Stipula offered an impressive selection of nibs for them.

pajaro
March 7th, 2021, 08:58 AM
I often use a Parker 51 Demi for this.

damfino
March 24th, 2021, 12:58 PM

I love that Platinum - I nearly bought one last month (though admittedly not in such a fab design) and I'm kicking myself now.

I have lots of 'little' pens - I like them :) They're one of the few times I seem to go for really colourful alternatives as well (perhaps because they're easier to find in the bottom of a bag etc. I use my set of frosted Kaweco sports with matched inks (admittedly, I had to go for grey for the white one!) all the time, but my current favourite is definitely my Pocket 6 from Schon Design.

It's a JoWo 1.1 stub and is inked with MB Psychedelic Purple having cobbled together a converter of sorts, but is just a joy to use.

I still want a vintage Kaweco sport with a piston though.

I left the house for only the fourth time in a year yesterday (to get my first covid jab) and had a bit of a moment when I realised I didn't have a pen with me.

I love your snake stationery! Could you tell me where you got it? Thank you! (Not to hi-jack thread--I'm a Kaweco sport nut. Someday soon, I hope to be able to be out and about again and my Skyline Mint will be my fave pocket pen.)

mizgeorge
March 24th, 2021, 03:51 PM
I love your snake stationery! Could you tell me where you got it? Thank you! (Not to hi-jack thread--I'm a Kaweco sport nut. Someday soon, I hope to be able to be out and about again and my Skyline Mint will be my fave pocket pen.)

I'd love to be able to claim credit, but I think it's probably a stamp, and you'd need to ask Ian at Schon Design, as it's his piece of writing paper!

https://www.schondsgn.com/pages/contact