PDA

View Full Version : Hello there!

StyloBug33
June 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM
This is the first time I have actually done an introduction on an internet forum. For both Pentrace and Fountain Pen Network I just jumped into posting and never actually did an introduction. I have regretted that, so I am determined to do it right this time.

Where to start? My love for the perfect writing instrument has literally been with me since I could hold a crayon. First it was the need for the Crayola box of 64 colors, then it was was the collection of pencils of every football team in the U.S. Yes, in 6th grade I had a perfect set of football team pencils, even though I never watched football. By seventh grade I refused to use any pencil but Ticonderoga, and the had to be sharpened just so. (Are you sensing a patter?) In college, it was Cross ballpoints. After college I liked Waterman ballpoints. Eventually, I found the best ballpoints in the world, Caran D'Ache. But, nothing could prepare me for finding fountain pens.

I had a few cheap fountain pens before finding "the one." I didn't know what I was doing, though. I didn't know you could get bottled ink. I hated the way cartridges looked. I could never get a cartridge to look better than washed out. Something changed all that, though. In 2005 my husband and I took a trip to Washington DC with some friends of ours. I thought that because it was such a special occasion, I should try a really nice fountain pen. I had been reading Pentrace by then and wanted to see if it was possible to have a fountain pen that didn't drive me crazy. So, off to Fahrney's we all went. I bought a Conway Stewart 58 in Amethyst along with a bottle of Private Reserve Plum. And the rest, as they say, is history. Before I knew it, I was at the Chicago Pen Show spending twice as much as I had planned to.

At the beginning, I sent most pens to Richard Binder to be tuned. I am, and have always been, incredibly picky about my writing instruments. Nothing was good enough unless he said it was good enough. Eventually, I learned to do some things on my own, and only sent them to him when there was no easy fix. I am profoundly grateful to have been able to take his nib smoothing class at the Ohio Pen Show last November. At least I am not having a complete panic attack over the fact that he is not taking in any more outside pens to tune. I am still convinced that if there is a new pen I want and he is selling it, I would be an idiot to purchase it from anyone else. He is a real gentleman, and a true artist.

At this point, I have a boat-load of really nice pens. I actually just met with my insurance agent to have my collection insured. I am also looking into the possibility of buying the equipment to start making pens. That possibility is both exciting and terrifying. Yes, it would be great. But do I really need to dive into another level of this hobby? Look who I am asking :) So, that may be the next step. Time will tell. Writing instruments have been part of who I am for so long, it simply remains to be seen what form the hobby will continue to take in my life.

Bogon07
June 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hello and welcome StyloBug33.

Looking forward to see and read about your pen collection.

KrazyIvan
June 5th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Wow, very interesting story there! Welcome to the board.

FP_GaF
June 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the forums StyloBug33. Very interesting story, I can understand very much what you say about "the perfect pen". I am also a perfectionist and sometimes I feel this "quest" of mine has not let me appreciate the beauty and utility of all the wonderful pens out there as much as I should. But then, you've got to do what you've got to do.

Cheers

Gerd

goldiesdad
June 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Wow ... I have 2 pens done by Pendleton Brown so I can understand once you get one in that condition it is magic .... I ordered
the "student" version of nib foil etc from Richard's web site so I am going to practice on my chepo's and see if I can put some magic
in them or kill them in the process ...

Welcome Again ...

writingrav
June 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Welcome StyloBug33. Great introduction. At least you know what you are getting yourself into.