PDA

View Full Version : I might have a problem.

inkyletters
June 2nd, 2014, 07:14 PM
Testing a paper for fountain pen friendliness. Decided to pull out all my ink combos... I couldn't fit one on here. I had no idea I had so many pens......

And I still want more!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/anamazam.jpg

VertOlive
June 2nd, 2014, 08:29 PM
Looks like a perfectly normal progression from "Interested Geek" to "Seasoned Collector" to me--and such nice inks!

earthdawn
June 2nd, 2014, 08:44 PM
Looks great and a good start lol...

Trust me you are just getting going.

You are starting to see where you are going right?

Theres going to be many pens you "need" to acquire for your collection.. it's rarely a want situation... it's a "need" situation ;)

writingrav
June 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
That's the beauty of the madness. Indulge!

Silverbreeze
June 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM
Testing a paper for fountain pen friendliness. Decided to pull out all my ink combos... I couldn't fit one on here. I had no idea I had so many pens......

And I still want more!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/anamazam.jpg

No Edison yet I see

earthdawn
June 2nd, 2014, 09:10 PM
No Edison yet I see

Enabler lol

Silverbreeze
June 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
No Edison yet I see

Enabler lol

Yes but I am the generous type of enabler. Plus Inky is a student. Edison Pens are a bit pricey.
More likely then not some Geeks here will find prezzies in their mailboxes cause I run out of pen storage for the more accessible pens.
All blame may rest peacefully on the shoulders of the Brian 3 and Doc Brown and not I :-)

inkyletters
June 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM
I am in fact a student. No Edison or anything over $45 for me in future. Id rather buy a $15 metro and ink instead. So many inks still on my wish list. The perils of having an artist for a mother. If anyone says anything about my collection I direct them to her sharpie and prismacolor pencil collection as the source of my habits. I just just writing instruments since I can't draw to save my life.

caribbean_skye
June 3rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
I love ink and all of the pretty colours. One simply must have enough pens to be able to play ( erm write) with all of the pretty colours.

Silverbreeze
June 3rd, 2014, 06:06 AM
I am in fact a student. No Edison or anything over $45 for me in future. Id rather buy a $15 metro and ink instead. So many inks still on my wish list. The perils of having an artist for a mother. If anyone says anything about my collection I direct them to her sharpie and prismacolor pencil collection as the source of my habits. I just just writing instruments since I can't draw to save my life.

Personally most if my "collection" is me searching for the pen that fits my hand and writing, one day I will find it. In a year of active searching. I know I favor finer nibs for daily business use and cursive italics for personal. In other words, Masuyama is a god and Richard Binder is a demigod exploring the limits of modern nibs. As for pen bodies., there is a beauty in both sight and touch to Brian Grey's work. While the Franklins make pens that are more affordable in case someone does something :-(

Ink on the other hand.... So many interesting options. I favor diamine and Noodler's. But I think ink will be a study long after I find the nib and pen that is for me

inkyletters
June 3rd, 2014, 06:44 AM
I have very tiny hands, so I have found that while the metropolitan is beautifully smooth the weight is very foreign to me. Lighter pens like the preppy and varsity are easier for me right now. Maybe after I've had some adapting time the brass pens will be easier but right now I get hand cramps very easily. I also like slender pens, again- tiny child hands. I might just have to investigate some of the European "kids" pens and see how I like them.

Silverbreeze
June 3rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
I have very tiny hands, so I have found that while the metropolitan is beautifully smooth the weight is very foreign to me. Lighter pens like the preppy and varsity are easier for me right now. Maybe after I've had some adapting time the brass pens will be easier but right now I get hand cramps very easily. I also like slender pens, again- tiny child hands. I might just have to investigate some of the European "kids" pens and see how I like them.

Have you tried Lamy plastic pens?

Jeph
June 3rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Have you tried some of the more affordable vintage pens? Celluloid is very light and the smaller and/or slender pens tend so sell cheaper than the bigger ones. Small Esterbrooks or Sheaffers might be just right and you can frequently get some of those in the $30 (or less!) range if you keep your eyes open. Also pens that come with either metal or plastic caps will usually be cheaper with the plastic caps which I find frequently to be better balanced.

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2014, 07:07 AM

I'm the same up to a point: slim pens make my hands cramp up!

Am rapidly moving to a 'one ink per pen and keep it that way' phase.

Niiice inks, by the way.

inkyletters
June 3rd, 2014, 11:09 AM
I have a plastic hero lamy knockoff. The grip was just a touch too wide. I find that the circumference of te varsity and preppy to best for my hands. I have an heirloom balance that is actually about to head off the the doctor for a new sac and some nib work but I might look into more smaller vintage pens since I like the weight and diameter of the balance I have. Suggestions for places to buy the smaller ones besides eBay?

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2014, 12:28 PM
Flea markets, yard sales, and antique malls, if you're lucky. Usually you have to ask.

VertOlive
June 3rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
"I am in fact a student. So many inks still on my wish list. "

Well there's an ink sample PIF you could get in on....:)

Silverbreeze
June 3rd, 2014, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=inkyletters;82461]I am in fact a student. So many inks still on my wish list. QUOTE]

Well there's an ink sample PIF you could get in on....:)

Yeah so your mom can "borrow" some ;)

Silverbreeze
June 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
I have a plastic hero lamy knockoff. The grip was just a touch too wide. I find that the circumference of te varsity and preppy to best for my hands. I have an heirloom balance that is actually about to head off the the doctor for a new sac and some nib work but I might look into more smaller vintage pens since I like the weight and diameter of the balance I have. Suggestions for places to buy the smaller ones besides eBay?

May want to check out the desk pens they are often slim, and light. Though can be long

inkyletters
June 3rd, 2014, 04:03 PM
Sailor- I will browse those. St. CHarles has an obscene amount of antique stores. I'd be more willing to attempt a sac repair without sending it off if it weren't for the fact it's a family heirloom.....

Vert- I was trying to be polite and share since I just got a mini inkdrop in the PIF forum.... if not I'd be ALL over that silky purple!

Silver- My mom actually is not a fan of fountain pens, not sure why but she has an aversion to them, won't even try the pink preppy I bought her for her gratitudes journal. Also, I have been considering desk pens but I think I want to try those first before I buy. Not sure how I will feel about the length....

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2014, 04:19 PM
I have a very very slim tortoise-ish finish 'Doctor' pen, which, though it's metal-bodied, is also light and has a smooooooth nib. Let me know if you'd want it; it's too narrow for me.

VertOlive
June 3rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Vert- I was trying to be polite and share since I just got a mini inkdrop in the PIF forum.... if not I'd be ALL over that silky purple...

I'll be sure to include it in my reply!

Brisboy
June 3rd, 2014, 11:01 PM

I have a "reform 1745" that I got as new old stock which I got quite cheaply which would fit your slender and light requirements. They can be had on the bay for little money and they're piston fill too which I love.

snedwos
June 17th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Given my stay in the US was only meant ot be a year, and as such accumulating stuff was a bad idea...

I now have 12 bottles of ink (well, 9, but three more coming) and 6 new pens (which would be 7 if I hadn't lost my Lamy studio on a train :cry: ).

The Goulets have made a lot of money off me in the past 9 months...

Bogon07
June 17th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Given my stay in the US was only meant ot be a year, and as such accumulating stuff was a bad idea...

I now have 12 bottles of ink (well, 9, but three more coming) and 6 new pens (which would be 7 if I hadn't lost my Lamy studio on a train :cry: ).

The Goulets have made a lot of money off me in the past 9 months...

Commiserations on the Studio, I only lost a Safari on a train.

Seems like a lot of ink for you to use up in the next 3 months ! Have fun.

You may not be allowed to leave with all that stuff.

"The Goulets & their shipping agent have made a lot of money off me in the past 3 years"

snedwos
June 17th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I don't see how they'd find it. I certainly plan on packing it. At the very least the Noodlers inks which would be hard to replace. And the sailor,inks which are discontinued.