PDA

View Full Version : Hello y'all!

rbiemer
June 5th, 2012, 11:31 PM
My name is Rob and found this place after watching a youtube video about TWSBI pens.

I'm a chef by trade, an unabashed amateur photographer--still using film cameras, and have been using varied and cheapish fountain pens for a while.
Looks like lots of good people and info around here!

I don't always have a fountain pen in my pocket but generally that is my pen of choice.

Currently, I am using a TWSBI 530. Got that one last year and am thinking of getting the 540. I have also used a couple of different Pelikan pens and have a Kaweco somewhere in my desk. And a few Chinese pens. I got those based solely on looks and price. Not the best way to choose a pen! :)

I like the 530 quite a lot but found their "M" nib is a bit broad for my taste. If I get the 540, I will likely get their F nib. Don't generally like too fine a point as my handwriting is terrible and I dig into the paper with any nib that's too pointy--clearly I don't know much (any?) technical terms yet!

I'll be luring a bit after this intro while I read through the forum and educate myself enough to try to contribute.

Rob

KrazyIvan
June 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the board. I know what you mean about digging into the paper. I used .18 mm fine point gel pens from Japan before I got serious about fountain pens. Just loosen up the pressure on the pen a little. It took me about three months to finally get the hang of it and 6 months to write without thinking about it, so be patient. It really does pay off.

FP_GaF
June 5th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Hello Rob! Welcome indeed.

goldiesdad
June 6th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Howdy Rob ... If I were a chef I would weigh 800 pounds ... Welcome to the world of pens ...

I just ordered the 540 EF I have the medium and find I have a hankering for them finer nibs ....

Good Luck to ya ...

Scott

writingrav
June 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Hi Rob,
Welcome. Definitely go for the 540, it is a dream. Then there is the Micarta,then the Vac 700. You're going to really love this place:)

rbiemer
June 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM
OK, I can see that hanging out around here may be dangerous...
I figure I'll be OK if I just ignore any pens that aren't demonstrators...yeah. That will never work
Or, since I have a fairly strong preference for bright blue inks, I only "need" a few pens for each of the different inks...nuts. I just looked at one dealer's selection of blues...
Hmm, OK, I have two Noodler's inks now; Baystate Blue and Squeteague. I'll just stick to those and I won't need to buy more than one more pen...except that I keep seeing other colors that look pretty good...
Alright, alright. I just won't read any threads about pens or inks I don't already have...but you folks seem like such nice people...

Ah well, I'll just have to sit back, enjoy the ride, and take lots of notes along the way.

Rob

melissa59
June 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Welcome, Rob!

The good thing about inks is that you can get just a teeny tiny bit in the samplers from GouletPens and when the sample runs out, then you can fill up your pen with a new color! You'll only be in trouble if you want to use several different colors of inks at once. Then you'll have to buy several pens, with a variety of different nibs, in lots of different colors to match your inks.

I have only one color, Noodler's BP Black. Today (fingers crossed) I'm expecting a shipment of 15 little bottles of color. I'm wishing I had 15 different pens so I can play with all the colors at once!

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Feel the power of the dark side. So, you might as well :smash: your computer now if you want to get away. :ph34r:

Welcome (again)!

manoeuver
June 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hi Rob. Whatcha cookin?