PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Geeks help me understand

Silverbreeze
June 3rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
http://www.jetpens.com/Sailor-My-First-Fountain-Pen-Set-Black/pd/12088

Is the bent nib an adaption for Asian characters or something???

alc3261
June 3rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
It is.

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2014, 04:06 PM

That it is.

Ohhhh I haaaad to looooook, didn't I.....

KBeezie
June 3rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
aka Calligraphy nib or "Fude" Nib, you see them a lot more on the cheap chinese pens sold as "Calligraphy Nib". (check the front page of the asian pens section for a thread mentioning Fude nib)

That there I guess is a super cheap version of what they did with their Z (zoom) nib.

Silverbreeze
June 3rd, 2014, 04:26 PM

That it is.

Does Sailor think you are a otaku :-)

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
aka Calligraphy nib or "Fude" Nib, you see them a lot more on the cheap chinese pens sold as "Calligraphy Nib". (check the front page of the asian pens section for a thread mentioning Fude nib)

That there I guess is a super cheap version of what they did with their Z (zoom) nib.

The Zoom nib is a little different from fude nibs and acts more like a quadruple-B. it's not turned up at the tip, just has a huuuge blob of metal at the tip. Nice for lighter shading inks. Or really big writing.

Sailor Kenshin
June 3rd, 2014, 05:14 PM

That it is.

Does Sailor think you are a otaku :-)

Possssiblyyyyy..... :ph34r:

Laura N
June 3rd, 2014, 09:33 PM
Boy, that's tempting for $33.

KBeezie
June 3rd, 2014, 10:23 PM
Boy, that's tempting for $33.

What's nice is you get a normal-ish nib in case you get sick of the fude nib :D

earthdawn
June 3rd, 2014, 10:47 PM
Well now thats a cool find and certainly a great way to try a nib that is usually in the hundreds of dollars range ...

Well... someone has to bite and let us know how it is !

:bump:

Wile E Coyote
June 3rd, 2014, 11:39 PM
Well now thats a cool find and certainly a great way to try a nib that is usually in the hundreds of dollars range ...

The Fude is a relatively inexpensive untipped steel nib. Jetpens has one for $16.50.

They're available in two versions; a 40° and 55° bent tip depending on what angle you prefer.

Sailor Kenshin
June 4th, 2014, 04:21 AM
I 'em both...plus a version that looks like a 1911 but isn't. The Jetpen ones you refer to are stick pens...but write very well.

dr.grace
June 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM

The Fude is a relatively inexpensive untipped steel nib. Jetpens has one for $16.50.

They're available in two versions; a 40° and 55° bent tip depending on what angle you prefer.

Right, but as Earthdawn alludes, there's also a Sailor Nagahara Fude nib that does cost hundreds of dollars.

Sailor Kenshin
June 4th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Has anyone here used such a nib? What did you think of it?

dr.grace
June 4th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I've never used a Nagahara Fude. I do have a Nagahara Concord nib, which is curved in the opposite direction. I found it too broad for me, so I had Richard Binder grind it to a finer line, to approximate the "Condor" nib I'd bought previously from him, which I've installed in a tortoise 400NN. (The Condor is shaped like the Sailor Concord, but Binder makes it from a Pelikan BB nib.) I love using them for Chinese writing. I've used them also for writing English. They give a distinctly different effect for me, with the lines tapering down towards the bottoms of the strokes.

Sailor Kenshin
June 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I've seen someone using a Concord on Youtube. Ooooooooo.......

bitterwonder
June 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Wonderful for drawing.