PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan prices set to increase in July

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Just saw a tweet from the Goulet's. Get your Pelikan now or pay more in July. :(

fountainpenkid
June 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM
AGAIN??? The m400 is already a ridiculous $265 or something (on most sites)....so now its gonna be $300? At that rate, people might as well get a bulb filling Edison instead! I certainly would! I am getting a great deal on my White Torty though...$200 shipped New Logo! Printhardcopy has them for sale on FPN.

I honestly entertain myself sometimes by going on the WAyback machine and looking at the prices of pens just 4 years ago.... Pelikan m400s for $140 or even $99, m600s for $160, etc... it is depressing to know that I got into this hobby too late to get those prices. But hey, I'm too young for it now i guess, so i shouldn't be talking :)

Wil

writingrav
June 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Good thing I bought one for my son's birthday last week!

KrazyIvan
June 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM
AGAIN??? The m400 is already a ridiculous $265 or something (on most sites)....so now its gonna be $300? At that rate, people might as well get a bulb filling Edison instead! I certainly would! I am getting a great deal on my White Torty though...$200 shipped New Logo! Printhardcopy has them for sale on FPN.

I honestly entertain myself sometimes by going on the WAyback machine and looking at the prices of pens just 4 years ago.... Pelikan m400s for $140 or even $99, m600s for $160, etc... it is depressing to know that I got into this hobby too late to get those prices. But hey, I'm too young for it now i guess, so i shouldn't be talking :)

Wil

Don't tell me those prices. I already lament not having a M600 after cleaning my coworkers. It is already semi-unreachable for me. I may just get an M200 before they get pricier but will have to skip the Vac 700 for a while.

fountainpenkid
June 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I hope companies like Edison and Franklin christoph start making more piston fillers. ALOT more. If they both made all their models piston fillers, i think they could easily outdo pelikan...and I would finally buy a pen from Brian.

Trillium
June 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I have to wonder if Pelikan is moving to "precious resin" now. Lets see.... 3 Pelikans would equal the cost of one Delta lathe , taps, dies....hmmm.

fountainpenkid
June 7th, 2012, 04:24 AM
i guess you can defend it by looking at prices from companies like stipula, montegrappa...etc. but then again Pelikan was always the more "daily user" brand for most of the crowd :(

KrazyIvan
June 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I think it is just a sign of the spiraling EU economy and the failing dollar.

ink mixer
June 8th, 2012, 06:09 AM
The dollar has actually gone up recently. Still, if there is a Brown Tortoise M800 coming out, the price increase is going to make for a tough decision, especially against the Japanese pens it would be competing against.

KrazyIvan
June 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Well, in any case, the prices are going up July 15th.

Maja
June 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Ian. I wish Pam Braun's online store were stil around---she had excellent prices for Pelikans and great customer service.... :(

fountainpenkid
June 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Ian. I wish Pam Braun's online store were stil around---she had excellent prices for Pelikans and great customer service.... :(
I got my m400 for $185 just last summer :( Now I'm paying $200 for a white torty though, so its fine I guess

melissa59
June 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I had been hoping to pick up a Pelikan or a Sailor at the Los Angeles Pen Show next February, providing I'm gainfully employed by then. Maybe I'll scratch and Pelikan off my list and give myself the chance to fall in love with another pen. I don't know anyone (in real life) who owns a fountain pen and I don't want to buy a $200 pen without trying it out, or at least holding it first.

Curious, do they let you try writing with the pens for sale at the shows?

writingrav
June 11th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Some sellers will let you dip the nib and try the pen. Susan Wirth who is at most shows, certainly does. For better or worse in the internet age most of us have gotten used to buying pens without having the chance to write with them. Of course most dealers will let you hold the pens without inking.

I'd hate to give unsolicited advice but the chances of not loving a pelican are slim compared to the price increase.

fountainpenkid
June 11th, 2012, 04:53 AM
it depends. you can test the nibs without ink ussually. Richard binder has his specialty nibs inked, and other dealers have bottles for dip testing. But for a new pen, it depends.

etoyoc
June 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM
yeah.... I think I will just save my money for some other brand. I don't need a Pelikan anyway, especially with the price increases.

KrazyIvan
June 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I have two Pels and I have tried the M600. At current prices I think they may be pricing themselves out of a certain market but that did not stop Norelco with its electric shavers and they are doing good I hear. I will be adding an M200 to my stable soon.