PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend an A4 grid/graph paper notebook..

da vinci
June 6th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Looking for a consistently very fp friendly A4 graph/grid note book. The "squares" I prefer have each side of 5mm.

Welcome your recommendations :)

inkyletters
June 6th, 2014, 05:05 PM
clairefontaine all the way. I believe Rhodia has one as well.

da vinci
June 7th, 2014, 12:28 AM
clairefontaine all the way. I believe Rhodia has one as well.

Thanks for your reply - do you use these pads and have a preference?

AndyT
June 7th, 2014, 01:56 AM
I'd second inkyletters' suggestion without hesitation.

Rhodia paper is made at Clairefontaine's mills, but retains a distinct identity; both brands are part of the Exacompta group which now has quite good distribution in the US I believe. Clairefontaine's paper is slightly heavier at 90gsm compared to 80gsm for standard Rhodia (there's also the premium Rhodia R range with cream tinted 90gsm paper: that's what goes into the casebound Webnotebooks). In terms of performance there isn't a great deal in it, but Clairefontaine may be just a touch smoother and more opaque ... both will withstand just about anything you care to throw at them, up to and including very flexible dip pens which deliver absurd amounts of ink. In fact I go through a lot of Rhodia doing exactly that. I'd suggest that you can buy either brand with confidence, depending on what's available in the format you want.

The Goulet Pen Company has some video reviews (http://www.gouletpens.com/Paper_Reviews_s/1133.htm), including this comparison (http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=393) between the two.

inkyletters
June 7th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I use clairefontaine. I haven't tried Rhodia but I've heard great things about them. I love the clairefontaine enough I'm probably shelling out $5 a piece for 7 notebooks when school starts just so I have good note taking ones for classes.

da vinci
June 7th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the recommendations :thumb:

I have a lind A4 Clairefontaine pad, great paper but sometimes a little "slippy". Nevertheless I'll be looking at Rhodia.

Any one know if you can get an A4 banditapple carnet? Got the free sample and rather like that paper...

Uncle Bud
June 7th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Don't know where you are, if you are in the UK/Europe, Black 'n' Red make some great grid, lined, dot notebooks in all popular sizes, they are my every day books, as good as Rhodia, but half the price. Cheers

Silverbreeze
June 7th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Polish paper really that good??? Wonder where the mill is, probably actually German paper

inkyletters
June 7th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Bud please tell me where you find your black and red. Everywhere I've looked the black and red is just as much as Rhodia!

Uncle Bud
June 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Hi Silverbreeze, you are correct in a way, a few years ago the polish made paper switched to a smoother blend, which proved popular, the English and German versions followed suit. The paper from these are now quite smooth every bit as Rhodia, if you know what to look for. Cheers

Uncle Bud
June 7th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Bud please tell me where you find your black and red. Everywhere I've looked the black and red is just as much as Rhodia!

Hi Inkyletters, I tend only to buy paper from bricks and mortar stores where I can see/feel what I buy. I've just checked on amazon and from what I can see they sell them too, look for 'made in Germany by Hamelin Paperbrands (UK)' or 'Hamelin Paperbrands (UK)' and you should be ok.

Sorry I can't be of more help, you really are better searching in the high street. Cheers

serpent
June 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I find Muji A5 Paper not only FP friendly but also cheap.

AndyT
June 8th, 2014, 03:05 AM
... Black 'n' Red make some great grid, lined, dot notebooks in all popular sizes ...

That got my attention, thank you Uncle Bud. I've avoided B 'n' R, but clearly things have changed since I last used their paper. Do you happen to know if there's an unruled A4 version?

da vinci
June 8th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks, but I need A4 size. Do Muji do that?

LagNut
June 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I use clairefontain and love it. I get mine from Flax, in SF. 6USD for an A4 notebook, ringbound( no microperf, 50 sheets, grid). Downside is I'm exposed to inks I end up adding.

Good luck,,
Mike

View from the Loft
June 8th, 2014, 01:58 PM
OP, if you are in the UK, take a look at Rhino Stationery's website. I have used their jotters, Toughback notebook, some caseBound A4 notebooks and 4 refill pads and been impressed. Reasonably priced and helpful staff.

Uncle Bud
June 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
... Black 'n' Red make some great grid, lined, dot notebooks in all popular sizes ...

That got my attention, thank you Uncle Bud. I've avoided B 'n' R, but clearly things have changed since I last used their paper. Do you happen to know if there's an unruled A4 version?

Hi AndyT,

Yeah, BnR, have really improved lately, and now make some really good stuff, I haven't seen any unruled A4, but they do a dotted A4 if that's any use, hope you like it.

Cheers.

Uncle Bud
June 9th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Hi AndyT,

Yeah, BnR, have really improved lately, and now make some really good stuff, I haven't seen any unruled A4, but they do a dotted A4 if that's any use, hope you like it.

Cheers.

Hi,

Should also have said I've recently been trying the A4, BnR notebooks marked with a blue and white square, with Oxford and a Lion in the square. They are also very good, I ordered a pack of 5 A4 for £18 via amazon.

Cheers.

AndyT
June 9th, 2014, 09:59 AM
... I've recently been trying the A4, BnR notebooks marked with a blue and white square, with Oxford and a Lion in the square.

Yes, serendipity is a funny old thing. As soon as you mentioned BnR, SBRE Brown posted a highly favourable video review of an Oxford notepad. If it comes in plain, I'm in.

Uncle Bud
June 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM
... I've recently been trying the A4, BnR notebooks marked with a blue and white square, with Oxford and a Lion in the square.

Yes, serendipity is a funny old thing. As soon as you mentioned BnR, SBRE Brown posted a highly favourable video review of an Oxford notepad. If it comes in plain, I'm in.

I'll have to look up his video to see if what he finds is the same as my observations, it is good paper and if you search it can be found cheaply. Just a quick search , here is a4 plain:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Red-Casebound-90gsm-H64068/dp/B000I5VZPG

Hope that helps.

AndyT
June 9th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks again, I'll keep my eyes open. Here's Stephen's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lkuCcQ9Xk

alc3261
June 9th, 2014, 02:38 PM
OP, if you are in the UK, take a look at Rhino Stationery's website. I have used their jotters, Toughback notebook, some caseBound A4 notebooks and 4 refill pads and been impressed. Reasonably priced and helpful staff.

I was just going to say Try Rhino myself!!

Uncle Bud
June 9th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks again, I'll keep my eyes open. Here's Stephen's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lkuCcQ9Xk

You can get it cheaper, I got a 5 pack for £18, they didn't stock plain though. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to find though, there are a lot of artists out there, who prefer plain. Good luck!, got mine at WH Smith's.

da vinci
June 9th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Thanks both, will have a look :thumb:

LagNut
June 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Good to be in the UK for that.. Here I see them for about 10usd for a single 192 page a4 notebook. (When shipping is added in).

View from the Loft
June 10th, 2014, 12:10 AM

alc3261, you sent me some Rhino paper last year, and well, it's the first place I look nowadays. Much cheaper than Rhodia/Clairefontaine (handy with five pen users in the family!)

Certainly worth spreading the word!

Austin_Malone
June 26th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Leuchtturum 1917 Master notebook.